PDA

View Full Version : WOLVES (oh noes!)

fuzzbuket
10-05-2009, 10:12 AM
yes, oh yes were doomed
looking at GW's getting started with wolves post and look what I saw

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=&categoryId=&section=&pIndex=2&aId=2600001a&start=3

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=&categoryId=&section=&pIndex=2&aId=2600001a&start=3http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=&categoryId=&section=&pIndex=2&aId=2600001a&start=4

look at the chaplin in the 1st post and the skull dread in the 2nd
fancy conversions

or

DOOM:eek: (SW 2nd wave and supplemental rules for the god-emperor and emperor titans at 22pts:mad:)

cheers

fuzzbuket:D

Brass Scorpion
10-05-2009, 10:30 AM
The Chaplain appears to be Ulrik. That model has been around for years, I painted Ulrik years ago when he was a mere $8.50 US. He's $15 now and you can see him in the online store here (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat200003a&rootCatGameStyle=). The other Wolf Priest model shown is also an older model. As for the Dreadnought, it looks like a conversion. I did something similar for a Nurgle Dreadnought a few years ago. It's not hard to add a cool bit to the front and change the fingers on an assault arm for Dreadnoughts.

ac4155
10-05-2009, 10:31 AM
the chaplin is not a new model and i would say the dread is a conversion.

Mike X
10-05-2009, 11:06 AM
These are older models, your poll should be amended for that option...

Watching Paint Dry
10-05-2009, 11:08 AM
the chaplin is not a new model and i would say the dread is a conversion.

The dread is a conversion shown in WD357... Plastic dread with Forgeworld resin and brass bits. The skull apparently is from the Orc chariot kit with the horns cut off and the CC weapon has swords from Skaven clan rats.

oni
10-05-2009, 11:19 AM
The Wolf Priest I believe fuzz to be referring to is the one in this picture...

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m310012a_P3Mb3XL.jpg

It's not Ulrik and I don't believe it's an old model, but I'm unsure.

vipernyc
10-05-2009, 11:49 AM
That wolf priest is the 2003 Games Day exclusive mini (http://www.minivault.com/WolfPriest.htm). I was actually kind of disappointed to see it being used in the codex, and those pics, as it's nearly impossible to get one outside of ebay or other special services. I mean, its a great model, but its kind of a letdown when you want one and realize it might cost you $50 or more, if you can even find someone willing to sell it.

Kanaellars
10-05-2009, 11:53 AM
That wolf priest is the 2003 Games Day exclusive mini (http://www.minivault.com/WolfPriest.htm). I was actually kind of disappointed to see it being used in the codex, and those pics, as it's nearly impossible to get one outside of ebay or other special services. I mean, its a great model, but its kind of a letdown when you want one and realize it might cost you $50 or more, if you can even find someone willing to sell it.

I agree completely... especially as it is the ONLY Space Wolf model I do not own.

wittdooley
10-05-2009, 12:12 PM
Here's my guess on the Wolves 2nd Wave:

Almost Certainly
Arjak Rockfistc (the THammer Thrower Dude)
Thunderwolves Kit (hopefully plastic)

Maybe
If GW were smart, they'd repackage the Wolves that come with the Orc & Gobbos kit as Fenrisian Wolves, and sell them at like, $22 for 10 models (they're simple models)

Doubtful
I wouldn't hold my breath on Bjorn, though I'd LOVE to see at least a bits pack for him.

Kanaellars
10-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Here's my guess on the Wolves 2nd Wave:

Almost Certainly
Arjak Rockfistc (the THammer Thrower Dude)
Thunderwolves Kit (hopefully plastic)

Maybe
If GW were smart, they'd repackage the Wolves that come with the Orc & Gobbos kit as Fenrisian Wolves, and sell them at like, $22 for 10 models (they're simple models)

Doubtful
I wouldn't hold my breath on Bjorn, though I'd LOVE to see at least a bits pack for him.

I disagree.

Thunderwolves (and Thunderwolf Riders) - Yes
Ajac Rockfist - No. Too easy to make him out of the kit now.

Ragnar Blackmane - Yes
Ulric the Slayer - Yes

Bjorn the Fell Handed - Yes (either a new model, or a re-release of the old metal one)

Brass Scorpion
10-05-2009, 12:28 PM
The Wolf Priest I believe fuzz to be referring to is the one in this picture...

It's not Ulrik and I don't believe it's an old model, but I'm unsure.

I was sure it's an older model when I said it the first time and I'm still sure it's an older model. I've seen it many times and I have one sitting in blister in my basement.

Herald of Nurgle
10-05-2009, 12:30 PM
I love how we already have 5 Gobbo wolves for £8 on the website - isn't that enough? #

We should really be dreading Skaven right now instead... dedicated Anti Daemon army, apparently.

wittdooley
10-05-2009, 12:32 PM
I'm basing my ideas on the C:SM character production. I agree that you could easily kit Arjak, so maybe you're on point there.

I'd LOVE to see a new Ragnar model. I don't think they'll re-release Ulrik though because the model is already pretty good.

I didn't know there was a Metal Bjorn model. If they do rerelease it...ugh.. I hate my metal venerable dread, and the last thing I want is another Metal dread.

What do you think about the chances of them repurposeing the Goblin Wolf Riders?

wittdooley
10-05-2009, 12:34 PM
I love how we already have 5 Gobbo wolves for £8 on the website - isn't that enough? #

We should really be dreading Skaven right now instead... dedicated Anti Daemon army, apparently.

Oh Snap! I didn't know! Must be in the bits section?

oni
10-05-2009, 12:43 PM

What a load of ****. GW should put it into productin. I can understand using picks of converted models, but not ones that no one stands a chance of ever getting.

Brass Scorpion
10-05-2009, 01:20 PM
GW had so many of those Wolf Priest models left after the Games Day in question that they gave them FREE to purchasers of Games Day tickets in their stores a couple years later. I had an extra one from that promotion and traded it at a flea market. I also see them on eBay with some frequency, with luck you can get one for $20 give or take.

Jakz
10-05-2009, 02:31 PM
The second wave will most likely be the missing characters, thunderwolves, and if I had to guess a Space Wolves dread kit with vehicle upgrade parts that will double as the Bjorn kit.

fuzzbuket
10-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Thankyou very, very much for helping me sort this out:D
it is weird though GW showing you how to convert things*shudder*:p (I hear in WD 400 there going to convert a warmachine jack:rolleyes:)

I'd love a new ragnar model (with kits for his buddies:D )

thanks

Fuzzbuket!

emperorsaxe
10-05-2009, 10:29 PM
I'm basing my ideas on the C:SM character production. I agree that you could easily kit Arjak, so maybe you're on point there.

I'd LOVE to see a new Ragnar model. I don't think they'll re-release Ulrik though because the model is already pretty good.

I didn't know there was a Metal Bjorn model. If they do rerelease it...ugh.. I hate my metal venerable dread, and the last thing I want is another Metal dread.

What do you think about the chances of them repurposeing the Goblin Wolf Riders?

Yes there was a metal Bjorn the Fell Handed that was made when the Wolves first appeared in 2ed. It was the only dred at that time that was released with an assault cannon. IIRC.
Respects, Emperorsaxe

LongFang
10-06-2009, 01:17 PM

Recounting the sagas I can tell you that particular mini is Wolf Priest Sternhammer, Warden of the Lost. When he was released as a Games Day exclusive there were special rules in the program for his use with the 13th Company. He had the point cost of a landraider, those great 3rd edition stats and some intersting special rules and wargear. He would give any Wulfen pack he joined "feel no pain" , and would turn an already bad 13th company unit into a complete terror.:D

steeldragon
10-07-2009, 11:49 PM
Yes there was a metal Bjorn the Fell Handed that was made when the Wolves first appeared in 2ed. It was the only dred at that time that was released with an assault cannon. IIRC.
Respects, Emperorsaxe

The plain marines (Ultramarine painted metal dread) came with an assault cannon
Blood angels came with multi-melta and Furioso Dreadnought fist
Dark Angels came with Lascannon and Missile Launcher.

Bjorn came wit a Heavy flamer... that was cool and not available in the other kits. (and if memory recalls correctly it came with a dread lightning claw instead of a power fist... but I didn't played wolves in 2nd)

I really liked the idea of having a lascannon + Dread CCW in one kit when they released the plastic one...

Andres

Bikeninja
10-08-2009, 12:54 AM
I bought one from a buddy for $25.00 bucks, then found one on ebay for 15. Not alot people bid on it cause the guy mislabeled it. I found it by accident. Really nice model. I have seen them go from 20 to 40 or so dollars. Not much higher. And they are on there fairly often..........

Bloodmaw
10-08-2009, 02:02 AM
I'd like to see a real wolf priest mini. The Ulrik model is out of proportion to the current scale of marines. The Games Day mini goes for like $30 on ebay when you can actually find one.

New Ragnar would be nice as well.

Sasquatch1916
10-12-2009, 10:25 AM
I picked up the old Bjorn model with part of his claw missing for $17 or $18 on ebay. very nice model. Ragnar needs a more dynamic pose to showcase his fury. Ulrik is cool but far too short compared to Ragnar. and the fantasy wolves look dumb and way too small to be thunderwolves. if there isn't a second wave, I won't be a happy customer

ssylyss
10-15-2009, 09:39 PM
I really hope they don't use the fantasy wolves for thunderwolves that would look like crap. They just aren't large enough. I have the old metal sw dread, didnt know that was supposed to be bjorn, but it is a great model.

MightyOrang
10-17-2009, 06:24 PM
that's ulrik the slayer (with the wolf helm) and ragnar blackmane -- both of which are 2nd Ed SW models.

the only unique model in there is the other wolf priest, which was a games day special model