PDA

View Full Version : Expensive, but fun?

Kanaellars
10-05-2009, 12:56 PM
I know it won't be worth its points, but does anyone else think this unit could be fun for a few friendly games?

10 SkyClaws (1 Power Weapon, 1 Melta, 1 Mark of the Wulfen)

Wolf Guard (Jump Pack, Wolf Claw, Storm Shield)

Wolf Priest (Jump Pack, Crozius, Storm Bolter)

As one of those "Just for the heck of it" units.

Any thoughts on its effectiveness?

Kanaellars
10-05-2009, 12:59 PM
Oh, and before I forget, I am planning to magnitize the Jump Packs so that the unit can be used as normal Blood Claws for more serious games.

thecactusman17
10-05-2009, 09:57 PM
Sounds fun. I am currently thinking actually that a squad of skyclaws is actually a really good unit, when a minimal squad is paired with a rune priest. As for yours, it could be pretty powerful. 46-50 attacks on an 18 inch charge, rerolling to hit against a type of your choice. I might pull the WC/SS from the Wolf Guard and instead give him another MOTW. I like that extra set of rending attacks, I find that they are excellent against MCs and most vehicles.

Confuddled
10-05-2009, 11:35 PM
Looks entertaining. Though:

1) Why buy a storm bolter for the Wolf Priest?

I’d much settle for a pistol and keep the extra power weapon attack. A wolftooth necklace might be nice too - a 33% chance of negating a Lash or Doom isn’t too bad for the cost! Great for giving you some psychic defence without shelling out more points for a Rune Priest.

Maybe a melta-bomb too while you’re at it

2) Mark of the Wulfen is great, especially for Grey Hunters and Blood Claws.

3) With the Wolf Guard, however, I’d actually want a thunder hammer or power fist – even with re-rolls to wound, you’d still need 6s to take on T6. And a Wolf Claw won’t do jack if you’re stuck in combat with a Wraithlord or Dreadnoguht…

Maybe a combi-melta as well, instead of the storm shield –
a) You’ve already got plenty of wounds to soak up hits.
b) The Wolf Guard is much too valuable to use to take the odd AP1/AP2 wound.

A powerfist isn’t all that much more expensive than a Wolf Claw, after all – you’ve got plenty of ablative wounds to take hits from big scary models, and the Blood Claws and Priest together can do a great job of clearing infantry models…

Trick is, if you’re going to spend that many points on an assault unit, you’d want to make sure that make sure that it can engage pretty much anything in the game, instead of having the entire unit being locked down by something it can’t hurt…

4) One nice thing about spending that many points on a unit – with the Priest leading it, the other guy might well think twice about assaulting you!

a) Preferred enemy works if you’re charged.

b) With a Priest, you’ve got a 90% chance of passing your Counter-Attack Ld test so you still get your full complement of attacks.

Duke
10-06-2009, 03:37 PM
I think it looks like a fun unit. I would drop the Storm bolter and pick up a pistol. Give Mark of the Wulfen to the Wolf guard... The claw is fun, but expensive... Drop the shield. Other than that it seems like it would be great fun!

Duke

doskar
10-06-2009, 03:48 PM
Don't know if its a typo, but the entryfor the Wolf Guard Pack does not mention Skyclaws as one of the units a Pack Leader may join. See page 86.

Xas
10-06-2009, 03:49 PM
meltaguns are practicaly ueless on bloodclaw-types.
because once you can use 2d6 you are not allowed to shoot anymore.
just because someonet alked about combimeltas.

on the topic itself I think assoult troopers rerolling every phase and getting +2A on charge ARE good :)

Kanaellars
10-06-2009, 03:55 PM
Hearing your comments, thanks all. Here is my revised list.

10 SkyClaws (1 Power Weapon, 1 Melta, 1 Mark of the Wulfen)

Wolf Guard (Jump Pack, Power Fist, Storm Shield)

Wolf Priest (Jump Pack, Crozius, Plasma Pistol, Wolf Tooth Necklace)

I agree, after looking at it, that the unit needs something that can take down vehicles, so the power fist is in. The Power weapon attack for changing to the pistol makes sense as well.

The storm shield though I am keeping. In my local group there are too many power weapons to run any unit without something that has a invulnerable chance.... so I feel it is needed, at least in the games I play.