PDA

View Full Version : Special Operations Killzone 6th ed Beta available: 40k skirmish game

Big Jim
09-27-2012, 06:09 PM
For those that don't know about Special Operations Killzone, let me give you a quick rundown.

Special Operations: Killzone is a Glorious 40k Fan project that a few avid gamers have been working on for just over 3 years now. Really, it’s a much refined and improved version of super-fast and streamlined 40K Kill Teams.

Got 30 minutes and an itch for narrative-driven 40K? Here’s your medicine. From the hobby end, it's much, much more than that; it’s also an ideal way in which to experiment with neglected old models and very small forces for which one would never complete an entire army.

From a gaming end, It's also an ideal way to test the merits of an army that has your interest before jumping in for the big plunge.

It was run at the last 2 Adepticons with a great turn out and success.

I have been in the process of updating it from 5th to 6th ed.

This is not the finished update, it has no pics and most of the flavor text has not be added in; this a beta test version to get you guys back on the table. I need and appreciate any and all feedback.

Killzone Rules (https://www.box.com/s/6rok2xkf75xneaeu9kex)

Codex list changes:
Codex Operatives (https://www.box.com/s/56fuyjocojhet3vblr7r)

I have been asked a few times since last night to list the major changes to Killzone in the 6th ed update. To be totally honest there are no major changes, mostly minor tweaks.

Killzone Overwatch became Opportunity Fire

Grenades are thrown following the rules from the 6th ed MRB.

Assault distance is 4inches plus a D6, this was done to make sure that models with the new versions of fleet and equipped with Jump packs function properly.

I upped the limit of Jump Infantry and Bikes/Cav from 2 to 3 models in a standard list.

Some of the Killzone Wargear got tweaks as well; they are the Auspex, Medi-pack, Suspensors, Targeters and Thermal Imaging.

In missions with Reserves deployment 3 models may deploy via Deepstrike.

That is about the extent of the changes, although there has been some rewording of some rules/wargear for clarity.

I am working on a team leader traits chart that I will hopefully be incorporating into the official update.

Big Jim
09-29-2012, 12:26 PM
Here are a few rules that we have been testing, but have not added to the update yet. They may or may not make it in. I figured I would give you a glimpse at what we are cooking up behind the scenes.

Auto-fire: Any time a stationary model with a heavy weapon that has 3 or more shots fires, the shooting player may choose to initiate an Auto-fire attack; the player lays down a 3 x 5 inch Auto-fire template down with the long edge facing the shooting model. All models under the template generate one extra to hit dice in addition to the weapons usual rate of fire. These shooting attacks are all made at -1 BS. Wounds are allocated one at a time starting with the closest model, you may not place a second hit on any model until every model under the template has been allocated a hit.

Strength in Numbers: If you out number your opponent in the assault phase your models gain +1 to hit with all close combat attacks. However if you lose combat while outnumbering your opponent you have -1 to your leadership test.

Chain Blades: 2 points
Any model armed with a close combat weapon may upgrade it to a Chain Blade. These are vicious flesh rending, armor shredding weapons. Chain Blades are AP 4. (You may not upgrade combat accessories to Chain Blades)

Big Jim
10-01-2012, 03:40 PM
The PDF has been updated (use the same link) to include the new rules and Wargear. It also has some further clarification about Reserves and Deepstriking.

Edit: I cannot believe I forgot to link Codex Operatives, for the rundown on Killzone army lists. I have added it to the first post.

Uncle Nutsy
10-07-2012, 09:50 PM
nice. I see you had the same idea as I did when it came to grenades (I extended it to include all blast weapons)

Big Jim
10-08-2012, 02:50 PM
I assume you are referring to the flip the template if it scatters mechanic. My group has been doing that with all blasts since mid third edition, it just makes more sense than having them scattering wild.

Uncle Nutsy
10-09-2012, 08:46 PM
well, similar. The to-hit roll worked the same (no scatter, blast triggers on-target), but when a miss happened, it triggered a scatter but the template was still laid flat. So it would still go 'off' like you'd expect how a grenade would work. I was also considering a second scatter direction if the grenade was used in a tight corridor to replicate a second bounce, but I wasn't sure how that would work out.