PDA

View Full Version : 1500pt Guard/Grey Knights. [Semi Competitive]

twomas_rox
10-06-2009, 10:58 AM
OK. Here is a new list I am working on. I want to get my list completed before i start painting. After I complete this list, i want to work on an 1850pt and 2000pt list. To finally complete my Guard/Daemonhunter list. My gaming group is competitive, but we build lists on what we like not necesarily what will kill all. Then let our General skills do the rest of the work.... so help me out here guys. Let me know what you guys think

So my army is based on Commissar Yarrick with a retinue of 5 Grey Knights. So they are staying in the lists...
plus i just had a buddy convert one of my Battle Tanks into a Punisher, so that is staying also. Basically, i am coming with alot of tanks.. so here it is:

HQ :Commissar Yarrick
Troops: Grey Knight Justicar + 4 x Grey Knights(1 incinerator)
Transport: Chimera (MultiLaser/Heavy Flamer)

Troops: Veteran Squad (3 x Meltas) + Gunnery Sergant Harker

Troops: Platoon Command Squad (4 x Flamers)
Squad A - Sergant w/ Power Weapon + Commissar w/ Power Weapon
Squad B - Sergant w/ Power Weapon
(Going to be combined squad)

Heavy Weapon Squad (3 x Autocannons)

Heavy:Leman Russ Punisher (Heavy Flamer/Heavy Bolter Sponsons)

Heavy:Leman Russ BattleTank Squad(2) (Lascannon)

Heavy:Basilisk

That comes out to a perfect 1500pts. I wish i had another chimera to put the vets into, but for the moment i do not. So i think Harker will help me get them to where i want without the transport. "Hopefully".

So please.. let me know what you think!

DarkLink
10-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Three things, all about the Grey Knights (I'm a Grey Knight player, and don't know how to play IG too well).

1. Scrounge up 10 pts and get a second Incinerator. Tankshocking and double-incinerating is devestating to all but the toughest units. I once killed 23 grots in one shooting phase with just two incinerators (yeah, they're only grots, but that's still pretty iimpressive).

2. If you can, you want to bump up the size of the GK unit a little. If you can, get at least 8 guys, though you might not have enough to trim elsewhere. The GK's will be in the enemies face quickly, and Grey Knights are far too fragile for their points (the shrouding is worthless). 5 Grey Knights die easily.

You might not be able to do anything about this last point:
3. How are you getting that Chimera? Is it a dedicated transport for one of the Guard squads? Just curious, but be careful, as you then wouldn't be able to start your Grey Knights in the chimera (though at those ranges, the Shrouding might actually do something, if you're very, very, very lucky). If you could, stick the Grey Knights in a Valkrie or Vendetta, but that's just because Valkries and Vendettas are awesome. And you get to outflank with them. Quite useful for a unit of Grey Knights to hit where they need to.

twomas_rox
10-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the quick response. I would love to add another incinerator.. problem is that i dont have one and the only way to purchase one is through Direct Order. Which sucks...

As for the Chimera, Commissar Yarrick can use the Chimera, Since i attach him to the Grey Knights, it should be ok to start them all inside... correct me if I am wrong.. would change my whole list if i am wrong.

Valkyrie/Vendetta is cool, but i have yet to get my hands on one. I would love to use them with my grey knights..

Basically i am kind of stuck making the list of what i currently own. Which isnt much when it comes to grey knights. I am in process of trying to trade for more.. but i only have 5 grey knights and 5 Grey knight termies.. which i plan on adding for my 1850 and 2000 pt lists.

SlavesToDarkness
10-07-2009, 11:00 PM
I think you're going to get slammed by armor since you have very little anti-tank. You might want to sub out the basilisk for a manticore (I know, I know - it's expensive and forgeworld) but it will WRECK tanks from a distance.

twomas_rox
10-08-2009, 09:49 AM
True, i was thinking that. What is the point difference of the Basilisk and Manticore? I dont have the codex on me at the moment. I can give it a try "proxy"...

I wanted to squeeze in some meltas.. but with the lack of mobility.. i am relying heavy on my Scout/Infiltrating Veterans to pop that LandRaider. My opponents consist mostly of rhino carrying marines and tau. There is another guard player, but he tends to bring mostly chimeras instead of the big tanks...

I do see your point though.. thanks for the comments and i will see what i can squeeze in to help me in that matter.

Lord Azaghul
10-08-2009, 10:19 AM
.. i am relying heavy on my Scout/Infiltrating Veterans to pop that LandRaider.

Vets don't get scout! and I'm pretty sure vets can't outflank with special character intervention.

twomas_rox
10-08-2009, 10:20 AM
With Sergant Harker, they sure can. It is my only option to get them across the field fast enough without the Chimera.

DarkLink
10-08-2009, 10:37 AM
As for the Chimera, Commissar Yarrick can use the Chimera, Since i attach him to the Grey Knights, it should be ok to start them all inside... correct me if I am wrong.. would change my whole list if i am wrong.

As long as the Chimera isn't a dedicated transport for another unit, you can deploy the Grey Knights in it. Otherwise, they'll have to hop in first turn.

Yeah, the availability of GK special weapons isn't very good. It's rather annoying.

SlavesToDarkness
10-09-2009, 01:21 PM
Darklink: If Yarrick is an Independant Character, can't he join the GK squad and start the game mounted? I don't see why not - the Chimera is his after all.

I think a Manticore is 175pts - maybe 165? I don't have my book with me either.

A cheaper option is a Medusa.

DarkLink
10-09-2009, 02:53 PM
Yeah, that's fine. I don't know the IG 'dex well enough to remember exactly where that chimera came from, so I just pointed it out in case it was a dedicated transport for one of the infantry squads or something.

twomas_rox
10-12-2009, 01:25 PM
Well, i took all your advice and came up with something i hope is a lil more balanced.

Commissar Yarrick - 185
GK Justicar + 4 GK's (incinerator) - 160
Chimera (multilaser / Heavy Flamer) - 55
Yarrick will join the GK's and they will ride in his Chimera to start the game.

Platoon Command Squad - 30
4 x Flamers - 20

Squad A - 50
melta - 10
Sergant Powerweapon - 10
Commissar w/ Powerweapon - 45

SquadB - 50
melta - 10
Sergant Powerweapon - 10
Squad A & B will be combined and moving forward with the PCS.

SquadC - 50
Autocannon - 10

SquadD - 50
Autocannon - 10

SquadE - 50
Autocannon - 10
Squad C,D&E will sit back and form a gunline and fire away, hopefully sitting on an objective. In Kill point missions, they will be combined.

Veteran Squad - 70
3 x Meltas - 30
Gunnery Sergant Harker - 55

Leman Russ Punisher w/ Heavy Flamer& Heavy Bolter Sponsons - 200

Leman Russ Battle Tank w/ Lascannon - 165

Leman Russ Battle Tank w/ Lascannon - 165

1500pts exactly. Do you think this helps my list out any?

For 1850 pts.. i keep the same core but i just add

Brother Captain + 4 Grey Knight Terminators w/ Incinerator - 245

Company Command Squad - 50
Lascannon - 20
Standard - 15
Vox - 5

Plus i will give a vox to Squad C,D & E.

That puts the list up to 1850 pts...

Then for my 2000 pt list.. i will just add

StormTroopers - 85
2x Plasma - 30
2 extra Strorm Troopers -32

That puts me at 2000

And these are the lists that i want to use for my next campaign with the local gaming group. I am going to try paint them up but i wont start until the list is finalized. Let me hear what you guys think. I might be able to buy a few things to add to the list.. but basiacally this is all i got.
- Show quoted text -

Eyespy
10-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Well, i took all your advice and came up with something i hope is a lil more balanced.

I have to say, I'd look at going in a different direction than Yarrick. Sure he's cool, but he wont transfer Fearless to Grey Knights, because they already have it, leaving you with a cool combat IC, with only half the benefit.

If the only reason you wanted Yarrick was his transport, look at a Valkeries or Vendettas. Valkeries start at as little as 100 points, but the 30 point missile pod upgrade is the better option. This frees up 55 points which is another two Grey Knights moving at 24" a turn. Thats a surgical strikeforce ready to ruin things.

Also, I'm a little wary of giving Harker's squad meltaguns. putting a 36" weapon in a group with 12" specials limits you. Consider triple plasma for extra range.

I'd drop your platoon meltas in favor of Grenade launchers. Any infantry platoon squad that gets within 6" of enemy armour is already dead. GL/AC make a potent anti infantry/light armour combination.

I favor the basic battle tank over the punisher. Sure it looks cool, but I think once you playtest it a little it wont seem as fancy. Try a basic Russ with HB or HF in place of lascannon for anti-infantry hunting. A BS3 lascannon isn't so great.