PDA

View Full Version : WFB Army Question

Kanaellars
10-06-2009, 11:32 AM
Ok, so I am a dedicated 40k player, but I have been reading some novels.

It seems that in WFB there are a group of human barbarian-like people in the north that worship a gret wolf, or wolves, or something of the sort. Ulrick maybe?

As a lifelong Space Wolf player, I am intrigued.

Could someone tell me about these people?

Who are they?

What army book are they in?

Are there models or would they need heavy conversion?

What does the army play like?

thanks in advance.

Lord Azaghul
10-06-2009, 12:23 PM
The current legal standing of Ulric is found in the Empire army book. They are the knights of the wolf. In the empire book you can take knights as core troops and special - however due to a few rule tweeks in 7th edition, this guys really really suck - they are calvery with great weapons (instread of calvary hammers) -which is the worst possible set up for a knight,even worse they are basic humnan knights -, which is by far one of the most useless units in the game - sorry to sound so harsh;

I tried running an Ulric themed empire army around the time daemons came out, and I hardly won a game.
Unfortunately the game mechanic for knights doesn't work the way that any thought you have on how knights should work! A knight will cost 3x as much as an infantry unit, but doesn't have to killing power or durability to compensate for his high cost.

The other Ulric list is found in the storms of chaos book, it is an entire cult of ulric list and you have both foot troops and knights dedicated to ulric. However book is not legal in most touriments, but you could get away with it in casual gaming.

Kanaellars
10-06-2009, 12:30 PM
I see. Interesting enough. Thank you.

Could you tell me then, do you think it would be tournament ok to just do an Empire Army, making them all LOOK like Knights of the Wolf, but using the whole army book?

Also, does that mean that Empire stuff I buy would have wolf bits in it, or would the empire range need conversion to make it work?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am just getting this really funny idea now to build a WFB Ulric army that I could also use as "Counts as" Imperial Guard in support to my space wolves!!! Im probably off my head, but if I magnatised some arms... who knows.

Lord Azaghul
10-06-2009, 01:39 PM
Actually conversions/bits would be quite easy to come by. The empire knights box has extra bits for making Knights of the wolfs, and there are a good smattering of bearding heads in that box as well. The empire flagellants could be wolfed up easily enough. The rest of the army would depend upon what you want to do, much of the Empire range is plastic so conversions aren't too terrible.

Hangguners and xbowmen would be a bit of conversion work, but not out of the quesiton…

For guard huh…well whatever suits you sir!

Kanaellars
10-06-2009, 01:41 PM
I was just thinking of a way to do a wolf themed WFB army that I could also use as a Fenrisian auxilliary for Apocalypse games.

Just thinking, Knights as Rough Riders, gunners and such as guardsmen. Havent gotten much beyond that yet.

TheBitzBarn
10-06-2009, 09:23 PM
Sounds Like a Great Idea

Randroid
10-07-2009, 08:09 AM
Look into Middenheim - you can easily do an Ulric themed army but it would be lacking many of the things that make the Empire list competitive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middenheim

I thought about making one for awhile... cool fluff.

Kanaellars
10-07-2009, 09:28 AM
Thanks for that info Rand,

So after a little reading.... the wolves dont like black powder, and they use Hammers from horseback instead of spears.

That would kindof hamstring an empire army wouldnt it?

Lord Azaghul
10-07-2009, 09:49 AM
Thanks for that info Rand,

So after a little reading.... the wolves dont like black powder, and they use Hammers from horseback instead of spears.

That would kindof hamstring an empire army wouldnt it?

Sorry, but yup! You can take lots of xbowmen, but the hochland rifles are fantastic, and great cannons are superb