PDA

View Full Version : Multiple epic shots..

Welshman1440
07-31-2009, 05:46 PM
An interesting situation came up in our local GW a week ago. It was a tournament and a kid had legolas and Haldir in the same unit and Gandalf nearby. He fired 7 epic shots at a unit of knights with aragorn in. Destroyed them all. Has anyone found a rule to stop this? It's awesome, I just want to make sure I'm not cheating!

Jwolf
07-31-2009, 09:00 PM
Seems entirely (and unpleasantly) legal according to the rules.

Dragon Knight Of Rhun
07-31-2009, 11:32 PM
Seems entirely (and unpleasantly) legal according to the rules.

I have to agree. That seems very....well....over the top. For one unit to get forth that many shots in a turn shouldn't happen. It takes fun out of the game, reduces the "Immersion effect" and defies logic. I will know of this, and use it not. As any keeper of the fun should too.

iamaddj
08-01-2009, 11:00 AM
I have to agree. That seems very....well....over the top. For one unit to get forth that many shots in a turn shouldn't happen. It takes fun out of the game, reduces the "Immersion effect" and defies logic. I will know of this, and use it not. As any keeper of the fun should too.
Its legal, We've actually been talking about this fora while now, though I haven't seen anyone take some with Epic Shot in a while. The key here to remember is that while it is awesomely powerful he does have to use might to do this, so while it is limited in use.

Dragon Knight Of Rhun
08-01-2009, 11:32 AM
Its legal, We've actually been talking about this fora while now, though I haven't seen anyone take some with Epic Shot in a while. The key here to remember is that while it is awesomely powerful he does have to use might to do this, so while it is limited in use.

No, I know its legal. It doesn't make sense. Its stupid, no unit could get away that many shots.

iamaddj
08-01-2009, 11:59 AM
Magic?

Dragon Knight Of Rhun
08-01-2009, 06:09 PM
Magic?

Haha even magic isnt that crazy. How many units do you know that can put out that many shots before their enemy can even make a volley. None. What magic could ever make that different? If that was so than Gandalf should have done that with the archers in Minas Tirith. Mordor would have been beaten before Rohan even showed up!

iamaddj
08-03-2009, 10:57 AM
Well if we really want to get into it, we have no idea how long in real time each turn is supposed to be. Assuming that each turn is about 10-20 minute (really rather short when you think about it, it assumes that a whole battle lasts only about 2 hours) we see that Legolas with the maximum of 10 might can epic shot 10 times getting between 10 and 60 kills. The English Longbow had a close to maximum rate of fire of 6 shots a minute, meaning that in that same 20 minute period a good longbow man with enough arrows could get off about 120 shots (though admittedly sustaining that rate of fire for 20 mins would be very hard, the longbow man would be very tired afterward) however it does not seem unreasonable to me that Legolas, with his super-human speed and reflexives, his thousands years of training and his Elven Longbow (which is like Elven you know, and so better then human or English longbows) could keep up that rate of fire, and get off half as many shots as a regular human could in that time frame. And since he uses ten might to do that he also is rather tired afterward. I think what it comes down too in the end is that people with epic shot do not shoot any faster then normal units, they just hit and kill with every shot, because they are awesome Heroes of Legend. So in conclusion, perfectly reasonable. ;)

L192837465
08-11-2009, 12:21 PM
A LOT

I play fantasy boardgames and try an use real life to justify things. YAAAAYY lol

Dragon Knight Of Rhun
08-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Well if we really want to get into it, we have no idea how long in real time each turn is supposed to be. Assuming that each turn is about 10-20 minute (really rather short when you think about it, it assumes that a whole battle lasts only about 2 hours) we see that Legolas with the maximum of 10 might can epic shot 10 times getting between 10 and 60 kills. The English Longbow had a close to maximum rate of fire of 6 shots a minute, meaning that in that same 20 minute period a good longbow man with enough arrows could get off about 120 shots (though admittedly sustaining that rate of fire for 20 mins would be very hard, the longbow man would be very tired afterward) however it does not seem unreasonable to me that Legolas, with his super-human speed and reflexives, his thousands years of training and his Elven Longbow (which is like Elven you know, and so better then human or English longbows) could keep up that rate of fire, and get off half as many shots as a regular human could in that time frame. And since he uses ten might to do that he also is rather tired afterward. I think what it comes down too in the end is that people with epic shot do not shoot any faster then normal units, they just hit and kill with every shot, because they are awesome Heroes of Legend. So in conclusion, perfectly reasonable. ;)

Well, you proved me wrong. You learn something new everyday. :D

Percival
04-30-2010, 02:27 AM
43 wounds with some of them in his chest would indicate all shots were not while he was lying down. and the witness said he was lying on top of his rifle sounds more like he fell on it.

Bean
05-02-2010, 12:05 AM
The take-home lesson here (aside from the bit from iamaddj, which was actually pretty interesting) is that WotR is not well balanced at all. Though it has some interesting and clever mechanics, it's basically a travesty of game design that should never be taken seriously.

It's fun, but if the notion of fairness even really comes up in your mind while playing, you're going to be disappointed--and you're probably approaching it wrong. This game is not fair. It is almost ludicrously broken.

Just remember: thanks to a tragic failure to write rules properly, Exiccate is just about the most powerful thing in the game. It does a d6 hits per company in a formation. Sure, they're strength 1, but since strength is only used when rolling to hit and Exiccate generates hits rather than attacks, their low strength is actually entirely irrelevant.

Exiccate--a 2+ focus spell--kills almost half of whatever formation it targets.

Congratulations Games Workshop for being utterly incompetent when it comes to rules.