PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Combats

Yayula
10-07-2009, 09:37 AM
So, i'm a bit confused with the way multiple combat works, i always used to play as if my unit is locked on combat with another unit and a 3rd unit charges i could distribute my attacks freely between these two units, however on the rulebook says that models engaged in combat can only attack units that were on base to base at the begining of the combat phase, does this means that i can only attack the 1st unit i was locked with?

I thought so and commented it at my gaming club, used to play a few a games that way and it sucked, haha, had my squad of raptors and lord engaged with 1 marine left from a previous combat phase, so a 2nd unit charges me i only respond attacks to the 1 marine left, lost combat by -5 and had to run, GG my squad. So the next week after that the guy i was playing comes and says to me that at baltimore they didn't use it like that, so we just work it as we used to, still i'm a lil confused with the wording.

BRB says:

"Models that were engaged with just one of the enemy units at the beginning of the combat (before any model attacked) must attack that unit.

Models that were engaged with more than one enemy unit at the beginning of the combat (before any mode attacked) may split their attacks freely between those units. Declaare how they are splitting their attacks immediately before rolling to hit."

DarkLink
10-07-2009, 10:14 AM
You answered your own question. The rulebook says you can only target the unit you were first locked with, so you can't target a 3rd, newly charging unit. I don't like the rule, but it is there.

Old_Paladin
10-07-2009, 10:55 AM
The way I see the rules is that the important phrase is 'before the combat'; where combat is defined as when models attack.
It doesn't say models engaged at 'the start of the assault phase' which seems to be your new interpretation.

That means that when charged, some models will only be in base contact with one unit (or the other), and must attack that unit. Some might only be in the 2" zone of engagment with only one unit or the other; and can only fight that unit. Other models will be touched or within the zone of both units before the attacks are made, and they can divide the attacks as they wish.

If charged by a new unit, you become engaged with that new unit before the combat, and may fight it as you wish.
The point of the rule is that if you're only touching one enemy model, you cannot put your attack against the other unit, even if it's within 2".

entendre_entendre
10-07-2009, 11:11 AM
old paladin's got it. if you're charged by a new unit, you're in combat with them & can hit them. models in BTB with only one unit can only attack the one unit but any model that is in BTB or within 2'' of a friendly model that is can split their attacks. this is why it's good to put your powerfists behind a couple of guys so you can split/change your attacks to another unit.

Yayula
10-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Ohh, ok, yeah that was what the guy at my club tried to explain to me, but couldn't he only told me that the combat phase was after the assaults, but with your explanations i got it clear now, thx a lot.

Ferro
10-07-2009, 12:20 PM
The point of the rule is that if you're only touching one enemy model, you cannot put your attack against the other unit, even if it's within 2".

Agree. But the other point of the rule is that if you're only touching one enemy unit, you cannot attack anything else if that enemy unit is destroyed in initiative order before you get to it, even if there are other enemy units within 2".

Denzark
10-07-2009, 02:21 PM
A SM tac squad is engaged in turn 2 with havocs. In turn 3 Berzerkers charge in. The SM tac squad can only hit the havocs in turn 3, whereas the havocs and berzerkers can hit the tac squad. In turn 4 everyone can hit everyone as the limitation is only on the turn a new squad charges in.

poor example as with my berzerkers giving full kill maim burn recently there would be no turn 4...

Lerra
10-07-2009, 02:45 PM
In turn 3 Berzerkers charge in. The SM tac squad can only hit the havocs in turn 3, whereas the havocs and berzerkers can hit the tac squad.

Any model in BtB with the Berserkers could direct their attacks against that unit as well. They were in BtB before the first attack was made that round.

SombreBrotherhood
10-07-2009, 07:23 PM
I hate the wording of this rule. My frequent opponent and I finally hashed out that we're using the Denzark-Darklink interpretation in our friendly games so that we stop arguing over it. Personally, I think that the wording stinks and that the Lerra-Old Paladin-Entendre interpretation should hold sway. Just work it out with your opponent and move forward, the game is slowed enough as is with true LOS and wound allocation.

Yayula
10-08-2009, 09:06 AM
The adepticon FAQ indeed satates that the "combat phase" is after the assault phase, in which case as mentioned before only the models in btb can attack the unit they were engaged with, but the rest are free to distribute their attacks, as long as they are 2" from the model in btb, or even if its a squad of 5 zerks, engaged with 5 marines, 1 per base and an extra 5 charge them the zerk can choose to which unit direct his attacks.

Anaximander
10-08-2009, 01:23 PM
p41 of the rulebook, paragraph headed "defenders react".

This describes the exact situation under discussion. The wording speaks of the single unit being able to attack either of the other two units.