PDA

View Full Version : RG Character Special Rules

therealjohnny5
10-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Hey guys, working on my RG conversions and army, go to project log and follow the link to check out progress, but here is a few special character and rules i've added to my army and would like you guys' opinions. Thanks, just take on character at a time and chew them up, spit it out and we'll figure it out.

Most of these guys are "use as" types but i've changed some of the rules to make more fluff sense. LmK you're thoughts guys. thanks for the help and feel free to playtest and use them your selves.

Chapter Master Corax (250 pts)– Jump Pack, Frag & Krak, Iron Halo, Pwr Armor (May take Terminator armor for +15pts)
WS6, BS5, S4, T4, W4, I5, A4, LD10, SV3+
Eternal Warrior, ATSKNF, IC, CT
Orbital Bombardment
Claws of Deliverance – Master-crafted pair of serrated LC’s treated as PF’s
Attack with Fury, Strike with Precision – Gives all members of the unit he is a part of Furious Charge and Rending
Shadow Madness – Corax can re-roll all failed attempts to wound in CC
Mantle of Darkness – While Corax is on the field night fighting rule is in effect for all units. In addition, all units assaulted by RG units suffer a -1 LD.
Chapter Tactics – Corax and all RG units with Combat Tactics are granted the outflank universal rule and can re-roll reserve rolls for that unit
May take up to 3 Honor Guards, only one may carry Chapter Banner, there may only be one Chapter Champion

Chief Librarian Vash – Force axe, Terminator Armor, As Varro Tigurius

Captain Vincati (200 pts) 1st co.– Silver Terminator Armor
ATSKNF, IC, CT
May take Terminator Squad as Command Squad at regular unit price, Company upgrade can be bought at standard price, Apothecary replaces Terminator Sgt
Raven’s Wings – Black raven wings confer 3+ invul save
Hammer’s of Deliverence – Dual Master-crafted TH’s resolve as S10, +1 to vehicle damage charts
Chapter Tactics – All TH count as master-crafted, all Flamers, Hvy Fl, MG, and MM count as twin-linked

Captain Aldebaran – ¬As Kahn, Bike, Pole arm spear instead of sword

Sgt-Commissar Volsario Upgrade scout (50pts) – Former Death Korps of Kreig Commissar, PW, MB, Combi-Flamer, Teleport Homer
Eye for Weakness – Sgt-Commissar Volsario grants units within 12” Preferred Enemy UR to whatever they are facing (+1WS)
Voice of Reason – The unit he joins is Fearless

so that's that...lmk

SombreBrotherhood
10-07-2009, 05:05 PM
I think your Corax is vastly undercosted. You've got most of Calgar and swapped a few things for others..(not re-rolling failed wounds in shooting is replaced by the jump pack, for instance) and added 4 USRs. A bit over, IMO. If you dropped your 'Mantle of Darkness' rule, and half of your Furious Charge/Rending special rule, I'd say okay.

Add points to Vash to make up for putting him in Terminator Armor. You're asking for more and paying the same...

Vincati = also undercosted. You're keeping Chapter Tactics, getting S10 Thunder Hammers that think they're seismic hammers, and all of He'Stan's goodies and only paying 10pts more. Doesn't sound cool to me...

Aldebaran = fine

Volsario = undercosted. Drop the 12" radius to his Preferred Enemy rule and add 15 points. Instead of Fearless, apply Stubborn as he's a former Commissar. As written, this guy is cheaper than the IG's Sgt Harker or Bastonne and vastly superior.

There's $.02 for you, points for altering uniques to fit your chapter, though.

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
10-07-2009, 06:00 PM
First of all, the Shadow Mantle of Corax seems a bit too game-changing. Still, it kind of fits with raven guard. How about instead of Vash being a Tigirius clone, you drop some the regular powers, and give him a similar psychic power to the shadow mantle, which causes night-fighting rules to be in effect for the turn. Maybe make it an option for regular librarians as well. Also, instead of Aldebaran being Khan, how about giving him a unique special rule? Maybe "Fear the dark", which lets him and the bike (only bike) squad he's attached to leave the table if night-fighting rules are in effect, then deepstrike within ~24 inches of their original position the next movement phase. This isn't too overpowered, and adds a fluffy fast response option (like the Raven Guard really needs more fast response options). It would only be effective during Dawn of War, or any turn in which Vash uses his spell. Still, I play in a VERY homebrew friendly environment. These might be a bit much for your playgroup.

SombreBrotherhood
10-07-2009, 07:12 PM
Maybe "Fear the dark", which lets him and the bike (only bike) squad he's attached to leave the table if night-fighting rules are in effect, then deepstrike within ~24 inches of their original position the next movement phase.

Umm...he's on a bike, wouldn't he just turbo-boost and avoid the pitfalls of DS?

deadmanwade
10-07-2009, 08:19 PM
So Sgt-Commissar Volsario would have S3 T3 being a basic human and not a marine?

Fluff wise marines have to be recruited young (ie teens) to get the bioengineered upgrades. Commissars are adults when they take to the field.

Also, Eye for weakness is a bit overpowered. Even marine chaplains dont grant that kind of boost.

Is the chapter master named Corax for a reason or is it just a coincidence that he shares his name with the chapters Primarch?

Vincanti's abilities dont suit the Ravenguard at all. Aren't those the Salamanders special rules stuck on a stronger version of Lysander?

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
10-07-2009, 08:26 PM
Umm...he's on a bike, wouldn't he just turbo-boost and avoid the pitfalls of DS?

Point. I was simply thinking in terms of "The Gate". Maybe straight up deepstrike anywhere, or a greater distance? (36-48?) Possibly having no scatter, the ability to assault, or some other perk, as the deepstriking would represent him avoiding the enemy under the cover of darkness.

therealjohnny5
10-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Ok great start guys, thanks. This was a late nite project so if some things don't make sense, bear with...here we go...

First of all, the Shadow Mantle of Corax seems a bit too game-changing. Still, it kind of fits with raven guard. How about instead of Vash being a Tigirius clone, you drop some the regular powers, and give him a similar psychic power to the shadow mantle, which causes night-fighting rules to be in effect for the turn. Maybe make it an option for regular librarians as well. Also, instead of Aldebaran being Khan, how about giving him a unique special rule? Maybe "Fear the dark", which lets him and the bike (only bike) squad he's attached to leave the table if night-fighting rules are in effect, then deepstrike within ~24 inches of their original position the next movement phase. This isn't too overpowered, and adds a fluffy fast response option (like the Raven Guard really needs more fast response options). It would only be effective during Dawn of War, or any turn in which Vash uses his spell.

The mantle is a bit diesel i admit but it's Corax. I like the possibility of the Shadow Mantle Psychic ability though for RG psykers. If i were to replace a Psychic ability what would it be? Maybe Null Zone since it's the only one that effects more than the Librarian himself. As for Aldebaran that also is interesting, what if we tossed the Master of the Hunt and replaced with "Fear the Dark\ Under the Cover of Darkness - When night fighting rules are in effect Aldebaran and his bike squad can turbo boost out of combat, Hit and Run." Maybe keep FC and lose H&R but i don't want him to be overpowered. This way he moves similarly to a Tau jump suit with retro thrusters. Can't be locked in combat during night fighting.

So Sgt-Commissar Volsario would have S3 T3 being a basic human and not a marine?

Fluff wise marines have to be recruited young (ie teens) to get the bioengineered upgrades. Commissars are adults when they take to the field.

Also, Eye for weakness is a bit overpowered. Even marine chaplains dont grant that kind of boost.

Is the chapter master named Corax for a reason or is it just a coincidence that he shares his name with the chapters Primarch?

Vincanti's abilities dont suit the Ravenguard at all. Aren't those the Salamanders special rules stuck on a stronger version of Lysander?

Volsario is human yes to S3 T3, though i was thinking about a possible augmentation for T4, however this doesn't necessarily fit in my mind. I would like him to be on par with telion who is a 50 upgrade to a scout squad. and a steal at 50pts if you ask me. So with out the extra S and T he needs some juice...

Yes it's Corax returned from the warp.

Ok, nix the Vulcan skills, i agree.

I think your Corax is vastly undercosted. You've got most of Calgar and swapped a few things for others..(not re-rolling failed wounds in shooting is replaced by the jump pack, for instance) and added 4 USRs. A bit over, IMO. If you dropped your 'Mantle of Darkness' rule, and half of your Furious Charge/Rending special rule, I'd say okay.

Add points to Vash to make up for putting him in Terminator Armor. You're asking for more and paying the same...

Volsario = undercosted. Drop the 12" radius to his Preferred Enemy rule and add 15 points. Instead of Fearless, apply Stubborn as he's a former Commissar. As written, this guy is cheaper than the IG's Sgt Harker or Bastonne and vastly superior.

There's $.02 for you, points for altering uniques to fit your chapter, though.

Corax say drop Mantle of darkness, as for the furious charge\ rending, his LC's are lacking Calgars S4 AP2 Assault 2 Gauntlets and you consider the Rending will likely only affect AP on vehicles more than anything else. The other thought is this guy's a freaking Primarch. any rules out there for one of those?

As to Vash every IC has to pay +15 pts for Term Armor...sorry i didn't not that

Volsario as above is another telion type. But has lower S and T unless i give him an aumentation. i like the stubborn rather than fearless. But need to figure something to balance him against Telion. He's intended to be more of a stalwart assault kind of Sgt.

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
10-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Whoops, I didn't realize that the Corax profile was for THE Corax, I'd assumed the marine was named after his primarch (similar to Vulkan). In that case, I'd recommend making him pretty damn uber (with an equally uber points cost). Angron is the only primarch with Gamesworkshop rules (http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2110495_The_Battle_for_Armageddon), so he should be a good reference. Bolter and Chainsword has been working on some primarch rules as well (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=140471).

SombreBrotherhood
10-09-2009, 02:18 PM
If he's a primarch, then up-cost him and only play him in Apocalypse games or some sort of "...may only be used in armies of 2500 points and above" kind of thing.

Also keep in mind that Telion is actually 73 points (by my math you get the Scout Sgt for 23, then +50 for Telion)

How's about...
For your scout sarge idea, give him WS 6/BS 5, Stubborn, and a re-named equivalent of Litanies of Hate/Battle so they'll reroll on the charge only. Give him two inferno pistols (sisters of battle style, fire as 1 flamer template) and meltabombs; Replace scout sgt with Volsario for 60 points.

therealjohnny5
10-10-2009, 09:38 AM
i just got the IA that has the Death Korps in it and am going to read up on those boys to see what weapons would fit...keep ya posted...i'll be updating the base rules soon....