Iron Priest
Thunderwolf mount, x4 Cyberwolfs
Iron Priest
Thunderwolf mount, x4 Cyberwolfs
Fast Attack

x3 (seperate squadrons) Land Speeders w/ Multi-melta, Heavy Flamer
Heavy Support

x2 Predators w/ Heavy Bolter

"Wolf Lords" go with their 10 extra wounds, I mean Fenrisian Wolves. ;)
Rune Priest go with the grey wolves in their mobile bunker (rhino).

40pts left over... Any Ideas? It is lacking in scoring troops but with four of them in rhino/'backs I think it may be ok?

Chumbalaya
10-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Why the BCs over GH? More special weapons can't be a bad idea.

Otherwise I like it, very wolfy.

Chumbalaya
10-07-2009, 09:29 PM
I hate babies

Confuddled
10-07-2009, 09:29 PM
Hrrm. Let slip the dogs of war, eh? ;)

Cavalry
Canis can hang with his four-legged friends, but the Wolf Lord would probably do better to join an Iron Priest.

1) Iron Priests might be pretty darn hitty, but W1 is a killer (pun intended), 4 T5 cyberwolves notwithstanding.

2) Keeping that in mind, I’d actually equip the Wolf Lord with an emphasis on defence (Saga of the Bear and maybe the Belt of Russ).

Have him join an Iron Priest and let the Priest deliver the S10/S8 hits (with his servo-arm, the Iron Priest has almost the same number of S8+ power fist attacks as a Wolf Lord, and a Wolftooth Necklace compensates for his WS4).

Trouble with the Thunder Hammer – he’s still an IC, which means that anything that justifies a Thunder Hammer to the face has at least one shot at instant-killing him in return.

3) Oh.
Yeah.
If there’s one thing that’ a “must”, its to buy Wolftooth Necklaces for both Iron Priests!

4) Possibly beef up the Fenrisian wolf packs? Sure, they’re technically bunkers, but they’re not all that shabby in close combat either!

Keeping everything else identical, would suggest the following tweaks to the list:

Wolf Lord, Thunderwolf, Saga of the Bear
Power Weapon, Belt of Russ, melta-bomb

Iron Priest, Thunderwolf, Wolftooth Necklace
4 Cyberwolves

Iron Priest, Thunderwolf, Wolftooth Necklace
4 Cyberwolves

Speeder, multi-melta only

1) Wolf Lord could join the Fenrisian Wolves, though he’d do better either:
a) Charging out to engage infantry units single-handed, or;
b) Supporting the Iron Priests. Wolf Lord dishes out 6 WS6 S5 I5 power weapon attacks (7 on the charge).
Cyberwolves follow up with 12 WS4 S4 I4 attacks (16 on the charge).
Iron Priest finishes up with 3 S10 (4 on the charge) and 1 S8 attack hitting on 3+.

2) Fenrisian Wolves provide cover and/or a whole bunch of WS4 S4 I4 attacks.

3) Between the shock cavalry, 2 Rune Priests, assault cannons and Predators, you’ve already got crowd control covered to a large extent – coughing up the extra 30 points for heavy flamers seems pretty redundant.

It is lacking in scoring troops but with four of them in rhino/'backs I think it may be ok?
They should be ok – with all those T5 mutts tearing down the field, I don’t think anyone is going to waste shots on the razorbacks/rhinos.

Alternative would be to throw some Wolf Guard into the units – give them a little bite if/when they get out of their transports, as well as an extra body to take a hit come mid/late game. Not sure where you’d find the points, though …

Maybe drop the sponsons from the Preds and/or scrap one Predator entirely? Tough call, though – the extra hulls are always useful…

drummerholt1234
10-07-2009, 09:38 PM
Why the BCs over GH? More special weapons can't be a bad idea.

Otherwise I like it, very wolfy.

I figured the 4 attacks on the charge would be good even if they are only WS3.

Confuddled
10-07-2009, 11:04 PM
I figured the 4 attacks on the charge would be good even if they are only WS3.

Heh.

I can see that. The opportunity to use the "Blood Claw" heads is nice too...

Technically, though, Grey Hunters would be (marginally) better.

Probably won’t make a difference if you need to get rid of that lone Guardsman clinging on for dear life to an objective, but if its something even vaguely respectable (2 Marines, one of whom is a Sergeant with a power weapon?), you’d probably want to open up with your BS4 bolt pistols first (or 4 pistols and a flamer).

Sure, it’s still a measure of desperation and you probably won’t kill anything, but at the same time, shooting is risk-free.

He can’t hit back if you fluff your shooting attacks, you just might get lucky and kill off a model or two AND you still have the option of charging in to finish off the survivors.

And your total number of attacks would be the same (5 BS4 bolt pistol shots, 15 WS4 S4 close-combat attacks).

Probably won’t make a huge difference in the long run, seeing as how this really is getting quite nit-picky.. ;)