PDA

View Full Version : Quick questions SW & force weapons

Yayula
10-08-2009, 09:14 AM
Ok, here go 3 quick questions, 2 regarding space wolves,

1 - Does the banner thingie Njal has that confers a save 3+ to psychic powers applies to force weapons?, i say yes since it is a psychic power after all, my friend is in doubt so, better to ask.

2 - the runepriest is equiped with a runic weapon, it states that it's force weapon but never says it's a 2H on it's description, i don't have the codex and only saw the description under the unit profile, didn't read anything about it being 2H, however it's a staff... so is it?

3 - Non-related but quick question, regarding wound allocation example: i got a chaos icon and champion left on my unit, i get hit by 2 meltas and 1 bolter, on my understanding i can allocate 2 melta wounds to say the icon and 1 bolter to the champion, however a guy at my gaming club says that if no saves are allowed you must remove the 2 models, i say he is crazy and thats the whole point of the 5th allocate wounds thingie.

Lord Azaghul
10-08-2009, 09:24 AM
Ok, here go 3 quick questions, 2 regarding space wolves,

3 - Non-related but quick question, regarding wound allocation example: i got a chaos icon and champion left on my unit, i get hit by 2 meltas and 1 bolter, on my understanding i can allocate 2 melta wounds to say the icon and 1 bolter to the champion, however a guy at my gaming club says that if no saves are allowed you must remove the 2 models, i say he is crazy and thats the whole point of the 5th allocate wounds thingie.

He's wrong. Because your two remaining models are different and you suffered 3 wound you can allocate as you see fit. If all you had was 2 bolter marines left then he would be correct.

Yayula
10-08-2009, 09:29 AM
He's wrong. Because your two remaining models are different and you suffered 3 wound you can allocate as you see fit. If all you had was 2 bolter marines left then he would be correct.

Yup, as i should have to throw all my saves for that group in a pile, so there would be 2 i couldn't save.

This guy is just saying yah, i read it on a FAQ thats how it's done, i wento to the GW and adepticon FAQ and nothing.

Anaximander
10-08-2009, 01:12 PM
1 - Does the banner thingie Njal has that confers a save 3+ to psychic powers applies to force weapons?, i say yes since it is a psychic power after all, my friend is in doubt so, better to ask.

On p50 of the rule book it describes force weapons as having the same effect as power weapons, but then giving "one additional psychic power", which is the instant death part.

So following RAW:

Njal is attacked by a force weapon and takes a wound.
He suffers the wound as he would from any other power weapon.
The attacker then tries to apply the additional psychic power of instant death.
If the attacker succeeds, Njal then tries his runic weapon save on the instant death part only ( it does not save the initial power weapon wound).

This is how I read it, but am willing to be convinced otherwise.

Nabterayl
10-08-2009, 01:44 PM
On p50 of the rule book it describes force weapons as having the same effect as power weapons, but then giving "one additional psychic power", which is the instant death part.

So following RAW:

Njal is attacked by a force weapon and takes a wound.
He suffers the wound as he would from any other power weapon.
The attacker then tries to apply the additional psychic power of instant death.
If the attacker succeeds, Njal then tries his runic weapon save on the instant death part only ( it does not save the initial power weapon wound).

This is how I read it, but am willing to be convinced otherwise.

That's exactly how I read it as well. Force weapons don't inflict instant death. They give you a psychic power that allows you to inflict instant death on any single model you have wounded with the force weapon. That psychic power is subject to all the usual anti-psychic-power rules, including psychic hoods.

2 - the runepriest is equiped with a runic weapon, it states that it's force weapon but never says it's a 2H on it's description, i don't have the codex and only saw the description under the unit profile, didn't read anything about it being 2H, however it's a staff... so is it?
No. The codex doesn't say they are, so they aren't. We have good reason to believe this isn't a typo, since tThe codex says that they often take the form of staffs, but also often take the form of axes and may be other weapons.

keithsilva
10-09-2009, 11:31 AM
remember they can only use the instant death power if the can do the psychic power, so if they are only allowed to do two psychic powers, and did both in the shotting phase then they can not use the instant deth power, but it is still a power weapon.;)