PDA

View Full Version : Destroying the Base

PostWarFolk
10-08-2009, 02:27 PM
Alright, I was playing against a Tau army with my IG. The game was 'capture and control.' I pretty much wiped out most of his units on the board and started to advance towards his base. He had eight fire warriors inside. I decided to fire upon the building with my tank. I rolled a six making it a destroyed result. With poor rolling on my enemies side. The fire warriors went along with the building and were no more.

Okay, now with building destroyed I say the games done I win. Plus I captured the rubble. He says theres nothing to capture and a destroyed objective is no longer an objective. And that if thats the case (he says). He will next time call an ordnance strike on his own base so that I have nothing to capture. Crazy right.

Give me your thought on the situation.

Lord Azaghul
10-08-2009, 02:36 PM
If he has no models left, you win - the rule book is pretty clear on that one.

Around where I play we use objective markers, even in capture and control. That why even if a building is destroyed there is no silly argument following.

Unless he's being saracstic he sounds like a lousy opponent!

Nabterayl
10-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Objectives can't be destroyed. If you check page 91, you'll see that both Seize Ground and Capture Control say that objectives are "a point on the table" or "a point in his own deployment zone." Strictly speaking, the objective can't be a table, or a counter, or any other physical object - it's just a point. It can be marked by a counter, or a building, or terrain feature, but the objective itself is a point in space.* Consequently there's no way for the objective to be destroyed. It isn't a building that's the objective. It's a point on or under the building.

So if you've destroyed the building that sits on his objective, you still have to go claim the objective.

* You can (and I think most people do, including myself) say that the objective is a "point" that is the exact size and shape of an objective counter, or building, or whatever, which is fine as long as both players are clear on the size and shape of the "point" - but remembering that the objective is technically a point in space rather than a physical object makes it clear that disputes like this one can't come up. Even in Planetstrike, where objectives can be buildings, a destroyed objective building is still an objective.

PostWarFolk
10-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Thanks alot. This should clear it up. I figured an objective was an objective. Destroyed or not I still have to capture it. My opponent just doesn't like to lose and will bring up any argument to justify his lost.

Faolain
10-08-2009, 08:35 PM
* You can (and I think most people do, including myself) say that the objective is a "point" that is the exact size and shape of an objective counter, or building, or whatever, which is fine as long as both players are clear on the size and shape of the "point" - but remembering that the objective is technically a point in space rather than a physical object makes it clear that disputes like this one can't come up. Even in Planetstrike, where objectives can be buildings, a destroyed objective building is still an objective.

One exception to this would be the Meteor Strike stratagem, in which it destroys the objective. I wonder how that would combine with the third mission, where you only have to capture the main objective.

Nabterayl
10-08-2009, 10:07 PM
One exception to this would be the Meteor Strike stratagem, in which it destroys the objective. I wonder how that would combine with the third mission, where you only have to capture the main objective.

You don't actually have to capture the main objective. You have to keep the defender from being the only one with models in base contact with the objective. If the objective isn't there any more, the defender can't have models in base contact with it, which means the attacker wins.

Fluff-wise I'd say that fits, since fluff-wise, the attacker's objective in the third mission is to destroy the vital objective.

Not something I'd try in a game without knowing my opponent's temperament really well, though!