PDA

View Full Version : Redundant Rhinos

Limunpai
10-09-2009, 10:07 AM
I've been thinking that the weakness of the average chaos marine squad is that it doesn't have a transport appropriate to its cost. If the marine squad doesn't get there, it's value goes down tremendously. To remedy this you can purchase a transport for a squad that doesn't need it, like Havoks or Noise Marines with Noise Blasters, and use it to ensure that your front line units get there.

I think a 70 point transport is appropriate for a full marine squad and 2 rhinos act like one since if the first is blown up, they can get in the second immediately without slowing down as long as they weren't planning on getting out at the end of the move they get in the second transport.

I've only ever tried this once with a 5 man 2xplasma Plague Marine squad who gave up their rhino to ensure my 2 10 man CSM squads got there, but it seemed to be a decent deterrent from shooting at them. Those two squads got close in and I won that game.

Anyone else ever try this?

Xas
10-09-2009, 10:41 AM
didnt yet tried it but sounds smart.

if you equip the rhino with an extra bolter it can even make up for itself as a small fire platform. before you laugh think about the costs: only 40points. thats what space marines pay for a terminator who shots the same @24" but isnt twin linked and the rhino shots double at 12".

and on top you can transport and block LOS.

Limunpai
10-09-2009, 10:49 AM
I absolutely agree. 5 points for the second combi-bolter on a target that isn't going to get much attention early in the game is probably worth it.

Also, a combi-melta on the thing would be pretty fun I'd imagine.

EmperorEternalXIX
10-09-2009, 05:18 PM
I'm afraid I don't follow this logic at all. What is to stop you from taking 60 Chaos Marines in Rhinos normally, that this is necessary? If you are talking about using 20 man squads then that isn't going to work out anyway -- they can't split.

RocketRollRebel
10-09-2009, 06:07 PM
I to am confused :(

Limunpai
10-09-2009, 07:10 PM
I'm sorry if I was unclear. I intended full to mean a 10 man squad as in a full rhino's worth.

A squad of chaos marines is 200+ points that means nothing if they don't get in close. I feel a 35 point rhino is not adequate to get every squad there even most of the time versus an army with sufficient anti-transport. Instead of just buying one rhino for the squad, buy a rhino for a squad like havoks that isn't planning on using it and follow the main rhino with it so that a 200+ point squad doesn't suddenly become useless when an army that can strafe away from you blows up their ride.

The West Coast Knight
10-09-2009, 07:19 PM
Oh ok now you make sense its a valid tactic and I have used it wit orks buying more trukks than needed and sticking ten Burna boys in one drive by flaming death is fun.
But for your idea with the 2 Rhinos I like it
I would even have the empty ones drive ahead and use them just to block Line of sight to your full ones.

WCK

Xas
10-10-2009, 03:00 PM
I'd rather take the combi flamer.

I'm not into single meltaguns with only bs4.... tbh I'm not even into single meltaguns with bs5 either.

either TL (vulkan) or double (csm 10 squads) on them :)