PDA

View Full Version : Time for an old old old school Wargame!

RobinTrevize
10-29-2012, 01:04 PM
One of my friends showed me something amazing the other day and I found it for free on Google books...

I'm not sure whether people are familiar with it or not but back in 1913 H.G. Wells created one of the first structured table-top wargames and here is a link to the rulebook.

http://ebookbrowse.com/gdoc.php?id=281254648&url=2b2d9ae3dd4ab513f5385acf73f2cc53

I love it and immediately went about trying to find one of the guns mentioned in the rules. :P

JaggedJaw
11-18-2012, 04:03 PM
Ah Little Wars. A fun game to play, when you realize that there are no dice or stats.

RobinTrevize
11-19-2012, 05:28 PM
Tru dat! I've been trying to re-create one of the guns as the only ones i've found to buy are stupid moneys.
Also, what do you reckon are good miniatures?

I've thought about citadel stuff but the "bullets" would have to be padded so as to prevent any major damage.

Chris J
12-18-2012, 09:38 PM
Tru dat! I've been trying to re-create one of the guns as the only ones i've found to buy are stupid moneys.
Also, what do you reckon are good miniatures?

I've thought about citadel stuff but the "bullets" would have to be padded so as to prevent any major damage.

Yeah, the Britains Naval guns cost a lot. I sold both of mine (plus a 5.5" howitzer) a couple years ago on eBay. I got quite a lot for them, but now I wish I hadn't! Oh well. You could use what they call "spud guns", which are little pistols that shoot bits of potato. If you coat your painted figures with varnish (or even just hairspray, believe it or not), the little pellets should not cause any damage.

Insofar as 54mm figures go (which is what Wells used), there are a lot on the market right now. The best (and cheapest) metal figures in the U.S. are available from All the Kings Men. Ken Cliffe (the owner) is a super guy who will do his utmost to answer your questions and give you any assistance you may need. In the U.K., Irregular Miniatures offer figures for many eras, and the owners again are very helpful.

Plastic figures are plentiful, from a variety of sources, among them being Hat Industrie, Armies in Plastic, Toy Soldiers of San Diego, Italeri, and Accurate. Everything from ancient times through the present is covered. Armies in Plastic have a wide variety of figures from the 1860 - 1914 period (the years covered by Wells's game), and their prices are excellent.

Chris Johnson