PDA

View Full Version : 2500 Pt Vostroyan IG List

lobster-overlord
10-10-2009, 08:08 PM
This is my first serious Imperial Guard list, so any input is appreciated. I'm limited in that this is a Vostroyan army, thus my model choices are limited without conversion, which I am up for doing,and am planning for later versions of the list.

I built this as a "how many points do I have in models" and whittled it down from 3200 to 2500 by taking out models I don't have built, or entire units that just don't need to be there unless I go Apoc.

SO here goes.

HQ:
Company Command Squad
plasma pistol, powerfist; medic; standard; vox model (not purchased); grenade launcher; Master of Ordnance; 2x body guards
175 pts

Elites:
Storm Troopers -- stock squad from the box, melta & grenade.
180 pts

Heavy Support:
Leman Russ w/ sponsons
Leman Russ
Demolisher w/ plasmas

Fast Attack:
Armored Sentinel Squad 2x AC 1xLC

Troops
Veteran Squads: plasma pistol, 2x snipers, 1 flamer, lascannon
Veteran Squads: plasma pistol, 3x flamers, lascannon

2 Infantry Platoons with almost identical build. One is 504 pts, the other is 514 pts
3x Infantry squads in each with plasma gun and las cannons
1 has HW Mortar, the other Heavy bolter squad
1 has SWS snipers,the other has flamers squad
The commands both have 3 grenade launchers plus the commander w/ plasma pistol and one guy with laspistol. Both PCS are mounted in chimeras with heavy stubbers.

That's 131 guys on foot (counting HW as 2) and 6 vehicles.

I have more, like a platoon of cadians of similar build and several Steel Legion squads, but I wanted to keep vostroyan in this list. I also have 2 more chimeras, 3 more sentinals (1 LC 2 unbuilt) and 2 Leman Russ unbuilt (punisher will be one), a Valkyrie half built, a storm lord and Hellhammer.

Feel Free to rip the list apart as needed.

John M>

SandWyrm
10-11-2009, 10:32 PM
Ok, here goes my competitive advice, ignore if you want to be fluffy. :)

HQ:
Company Command Squad
plasma pistol, powerfist; medic; standard; vox model (not purchased); grenade launcher; Master of Ordnance; 2x body guards
175 pts

Lose the Plas Pistol, powerfist, medic, vox, and the Master of Pie Plates. Go lean, Plasma Pistols and Powerfists sell models, but they're not effective unless you're specifically building a list to use them. Also, this squad has BS4, so a heavy weapon isn't a bad pick. So do something like:

110 pts - CCS w/Autocannon, Flamer, Regimental Standard, Astropath

Elites:
Storm Troopers -- stock squad from the box, melta & grenade.
180 pts

There are really only 2 decent Stormie builds. The 5-man squad with 2 meltas for suicide AT, or the 10-man no-special-weapons build for contesting objectives. I prefer the former at 105 pts.

Heavy Support:
Leman Russ w/ sponsons
Leman Russ
Demolisher w/ plasmas

Drop all sponsons. Yes, I'm dead serious. Not only are they overpriced, but they pressure you into staying still when your Russ should be moving instead. A moving Russ > sponsons for half a dozen good reasons. Take a lascannon on the Vanilla Russ for anti-transport/anti-MEQ work, and a hull heavy flamer on the Demolisher. That will make both tanks 165 pts.

Fast Attack:
Armored Sentinel Squad 2x AC 1xLC

Drop the lascannon and take another autocannon instead. When shooting at transports or MCs, you want more shots, not higher-strength shots. Also, consider keeping these Sentinels separate to avoid death-by-squadron. :)

180 pts. - 3 x Sentinel w/Autocannon

Troops
Veteran Squads: plasma pistol, 2x snipers, 1 flamer, lascannon
Veteran Squads: plasma pistol, 3x flamers, lascannon

You've got Chimeras elsewhere in your list, so I'm going to suggest you put your Vets into them instead of your platoon troops. Snipers are unreliable, and flamers waste the BS4 of your Vets, so just give both squads meltas instead. As for the Chimeras, give them hull heavy flamers and nothing else. That will give you the IG's best offensive unit. Which should have little problem grabbing objectives or killing big nasties.

155 Vet Squad w/3 x Melta, Chimera (Hull Heavy Flamer)
155 Vet Squad w/3 x Melta, Chimera (Hull Heavy Flamer)

2 Infantry Platoons with almost identical build. One is 504 pts, the other is 514 pts
3x Infantry squads in each with plasma gun and las cannons
1 has HW Mortar, the other Heavy bolter squad
1 has SWS snipers,the other has flamers squad
The commands both have 3 grenade launchers plus the commander w/ plasma pistol and one guy with laspistol. Both PCS are mounted in chimeras with heavy stubbers.

The plasma/lascannon build was great in 4th edition, but the most effective build these days is grenade launcher/autocannon. It's cheap and it puts out lots of high-strength shots. Autocannons are just as effective as Lascannons in taking down light armor, but cost a lot less and actually have a greater chance of destroying the target (more rolls on damage chart). They're also much better vs. Nids and Orks. Use the Vets and the Stormies to take out AV14 close-up.

First Platoon:
50 pts. - PCS w/4 x Flamer
65 pts. - Infantry Squad w/Autocannon, Grenade Launcher

Second Platoon:
50 pts. - PCS w/4 x Flamer

There, I've just shaved 285 pts. off of your list and made it more competitive too. :)

With those points I'd add one Hellhound with a hull multi-melta for 145 pts., another Armored Sentinel at 70 pts.(For 2 squads of 2), and a couple of Commissars at 35 pts. each to make sure that your platoons stay put when you blob them. Total: 1500

Chumbalaya
10-12-2009, 06:45 AM
SandWyrm covered it pretty well.

lobster-overlord
10-12-2009, 07:21 AM
Thanks SandWyrm. I'm up for conversion, no problem. I built it based on the models, many of which are still not built. I do understand that Vostroyan was built using 4th edition as a basis and what would sell. I have a ton of Autocannon bits, so I think I will be taking the advice on trimming down the Lascannons as I build them and make them AC Teams instead. 4 of them are built, so I'll likely keep them as LCs, but he rest will be AC.

As for the medic, the consensus seems that they are useless. I've already begun converting them into Demolition chargers, which look pretty cool.

ANd I'll need to build that Hellhound pretty quickly then. :-)

I appreciate the input guys.

John M>

THis thursday will be my first game with them, I hope, so I'll give it a shot. I think the Plasma guns will just have to "Count as" meltas until I can do some work on some guys.

SandWyrm
10-12-2009, 10:46 PM
I do understand that Vostroyan was built using 4th edition as a basis and what would sell.

Hey, I feel your pain. I collect the old 2nd Edition Tallarn IG, whose basic squad box was Missile/Plasma with a Plasma Pistol Sgt. :)

I've had to convert the Sgts to laspistols using tank sprue bits, put the Missile Launchers and most of the plasma guns on the shelf, and buy the WAAAY overpriced melta/grenade blisters off the GW site when eBay didn't meet it's recruiting goals. :(