PDA

View Full Version : GW stock

Mike X
10-11-2009, 01:22 AM
Uh oh...

Aldramelech
10-11-2009, 01:52 AM
That is a completely meaningless document......

There is no context, it could have come from anywhere.

eldargal
10-11-2009, 03:27 AM
I believe the first graph is the share price from September 14th to October 5th, an utterly meaningless amount of time and rather silly when you compare it to the last twelve months, graph attached. If you google games workshop share price you can find the information from any number of reliable sources.
GW has had a rocky financial situation in the past few years, but if you read their financial report for the last financial year you will see they are in the best positionthey have been since the decline started in 2003/4.

Fantomex
10-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Yep, having worked in banking, I can safely say that the stock is fine.
Man, they've come through far worse, those kinda monthly fluctuations are nought but potholes in a road.
Bearing in mind, their stock tends to drop during a rough Feb-Jun time, then takes a rapid pickup at the end of the year.
It's stock, it has two direcctions, and GW like to think they're on a seesaw.;)

Denzark
10-11-2009, 12:02 PM
I believe the first graph is the share price from September 14th to October 5th, an utterly meaningless amount of time and rather silly when you compare it to the last twelve months, graph attached. If you google games workshop share price you can find the information from any number of reliable sources.
GW has had a rocky financial situation in the past few years, but if you read their financial report for the last financial year you will see they are in the best positionthey have been since the decline started in 2003/4.

Wow Eldargal you use terms like launchy whatsits but understand the stock market I salute your layered talents...

Mike X
10-11-2009, 02:32 PM

Well, I know this. It's only the past month's view. I watch GW's stock on a weekly basis (check it every Friday).

I understand the stock market, since I have stock in a few companies. However, since I don't have stock in GW, I just monitor it to make sure the miniatures company I put so much time and money into isn't going to die anytime soon.

But this Friday's view was saddening to me.

Aldramelech
10-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Christmas soon. Trade and I expect the share's will pick up.

Mike X
10-11-2009, 04:21 PM
Out of curiosity, have any of you ever actually invested in GW's stock? It's too expensive for my forte, but I'm sure others can afford it.

EmperorEternalXIX
10-11-2009, 05:42 PM
If I could, I would. They are a good company, in that they try to actually do what's best for us and not for themselves.

There is no reason this whole game couldn't be done without books, without Black Library, without even authors on staff, and where the rules were restrictive to GW models and the company only made $10 dollar metal models and where if you had an old model and there was a newer one you were illegal. All they would have to do is crap out a couple of new sculpts a month and they'd make comparatively a mint, since print production is probably 3/5 of their costs.

We are lucky that they don't bend us over like they could if they felt the need.

eldargal
10-11-2009, 06:03 PM
Didn't have the old Oxford education for nothing.:rolleyes:

Wow Eldargal you use terms like launchy whatsits but understand the stock market I salute your layered talents...

Yes! GW doesn't even have any real competition at their level in the industry, everyone likes to whine about them but they could get away with giving us much, much less. Even their focus on the Imperium at the expense of xenos is understandable over the past gew years given their financial situation. Now that it is improving we should start seeing less popular armies getting more attention. People seem to have some silly idea that GW is sitting back raking in massive profits at the gamers expense, will revenue of 113 million pounds with pre tax profit of 7.5 million pounds is hardly that.

If I could, I would. They are a good company, in that they try to actually do what's best for us and not for themselves.

There is no reason this whole game couldn't be done without books, without Black Library, without even authors on staff, and where the rules were restrictive to GW models and the company only made $10 dollar metal models and where if you had an old model and there was a newer one you were illegal. All they would have to do is crap out a couple of new sculpts a month and they'd make comparatively a mint, since print production is probably 3/5 of their costs.

We are lucky that they don't bend us over like they could if they felt the need.

Mike X
10-11-2009, 07:52 PM
GW doesn't even have any real competition at their level in the industry, everyone likes to whine about them but they could get away with giving us much, much less.

Warmachine, Hordes, Flames of War...

They might not be as popular (yet), but they're growing very fast and are absolutely considered competition to GW.

eldargal
10-11-2009, 08:06 PM
I said real competition, Privateer Press which publishes Warmachine and Hordes has a revenue of 2.5-5million USD (1.6-3.1m pounds) compared to GW 113 million pounds (178m USD). They are growing fast but even so, they are nothing compared to GW.
Battlefront Miniatures which producees Flames of War has revenue of under one million USD.

To put this in perspective, GW could use its after-tax profits for the last financial year to purchase both companies.

Edit: I personally do not like Warmachine, but I believe competition is a good thing and wish the company well. This is not intended to be a GW 'fan girl' defence, just stating the fact regarding the relative size and wealth of the companies.

Warmachine, Hordes, Flames of War...

They might not be as popular (yet), but they're growing very fast and are absolutely considered competition to GW.

gwensdad
10-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Something that gets me is how some people insist that RPGs are cheaper than mini games, which used to be very true. But someone pointed out last night that the new D&D has 3 player's books (at $40 each) not including the DMG and 3 (or more ) monster manuals (also $40 each) which makes a GW addiction seem cheap.

Mike X
10-11-2009, 10:33 PM
I said real competition, Privateer Press which publishes Warmachine and Hordes has a revenue of 2.5-5million USD (1.6-3.1m pounds) compared to GW 113 million pounds (178m USD). They are growing fast but even so, they are nothing compared to GW.

I totally hear what you're saying and don't deny it at all, but I'm not saying Privateer Press is the Coke to GW's Pepsi, I'm saying that Privateer Press is growing very quickly and will soon be up there with GW.

Also, I don't play Warmachine/Hordes or Flames of War, but most of the customers at my LGS has stopped (or slowed down on) playing 40K because of them... which REALLY saddens me, since I love 40K so much.

Deej
10-12-2009, 04:09 AM
I was in financial derivatives trading for four years, and I'd say that such a small-term fluctuation in price is not a sensible indicator of long-term performance. Much more likely it was caused by exchange rate changes, the UK postal strikes, or any number of other short-term factors.

Coincidentally, if any of you lot want to dabble with the stock markets but think you don't have enough money, look up spreadbetting (in the UK) or CFDs elsewhere. You don't need much to gamble (as little as £1 with some companies) but you stand to lose a lot. As in, you can place a £5 bet, and because of the leveraging end up owing hundreds of thousands. A fun, but dangerous game!

rsheridan5
10-12-2009, 06:52 AM
I actually read through their prospectus the other day, and they are doing quite well. I am impressed with your handling of the stocks part of this Eldargirl.
I think that with the exception of losing some stores and sales in America they are making plenty of money. In England they are eating this stuff up apparently, since the lionshare of thier sales come from there.

Aldramelech
10-12-2009, 08:32 AM
I totally hear what you're saying and don't deny it at all, but I'm not saying Privateer Press is the Coke to GW's Pepsi, I'm saying that Privateer Press is growing very quickly and will soon be up there with GW.

Also, I don't play Warmachine/Hordes or Flames of War, but most of the customers at my LGS has stopped (or slowed down on) playing 40K because of them... which REALLY saddens me, since I love 40K so much.

You must be joking? GW have their own dedicated retail outlet in every major town and city in the UK, A magazine that is so popular you can pick it up in most supermarkets in the UK and hundreds of other outlets selling their stuff. Add in the online business.

Mainstream historical wargaming (of which flames of war are a part) will never be that popular.

Ive been an Historical wargamer for 20 odd years and from my perspective the hobby has neither grown of shrunk in that time, Workshop however seem set for World wide domination lol

Cryl
10-12-2009, 08:54 AM
You must be joking? GW have their own dedicated retail outlet in every major town and city in the UK, A magazine that is so popular you can pick it up in most supermarkets in the UK and hundreds of other outlets selling their stuff. Add in the online business.

Mainstream historical wargaming (of which flames of war are a part) will never be that popular.

Ive been an Historical wargamer for 20 odd years and from my perspective the hobby has neither grown of shrunk in that time, Workshop however seem set for World wide domination lol

I suspect that the "global domination" of GW helps the competition as well. How many of us started with a GW game (likely to be 40k) and now collect FoW, Warmachine / Hordes or some other system as well, I suspect the answer is quite a few. I'd actually be interested to see how many wargamers started with a GW product and now play something else, either as well as or instead of.

Aldramelech
10-12-2009, 09:07 AM
I suspect that the "global domination" of GW helps the competition as well. How many of us started with a GW game (likely to be 40k) and now collect FoW, Warmachine / Hordes or some other system as well, I suspect the answer is quite a few. I'd actually be interested to see how many wargamers started with a GW product and now play something else, either as well as or instead of.

Id agree with that. Although I am the opposite. I started playing "Proper" wargaming and got into GW later.

Many kids who get into GW fall by the wayside in their late teens, of those that stick with it a small percentage will move into historical. This keeps the "hobby" at the same level, but does not increase it significantly. GW events such as Games Day seem to be getting bigger and bigger whereas Shows such as Salute don't seem to.

Lerra
10-12-2009, 10:31 AM
My sci-fi-esque prediction:

GW is going to be fine, at least until these become popular: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_printing

A picture from the wikipedia article: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/60/3D_scanning_and_printing.jpg

The detail is not there yet, but give it 10 years and will be be using bittorrent to download the latest models to print at home. I'm just hoping GW adapts and starts selling the files rather than letting piracy take over.

rsheridan5
10-12-2009, 12:31 PM
I wish they had a GW store at every location here in America. I live in Eastern Virginia (Hampton Roads) and would have to drive for 2 or more hours to get to one.
I get my stuff from Hobbytown, and another local gaming store called Atlantic. White Dwarf is only available in a couple of spot... Most people don't even know what I am talking about when I ask.
Although you can buy Black Library stuff at any of the book stores...

Aldramelech
10-12-2009, 12:44 PM
I wish they had a GW store at every location here in America. I live in Eastern Virginia (Hampton Roads) and would have to drive for 2 or more hours to get to one.
I get my stuff from Hobbytown, and another local gaming store called Atlantic. White Dwarf is only available in a couple of spot... Most people don't even know what I am talking about when I ask.
Although you can buy Black Library stuff at any of the book stores...

Welcome to the suck! lol

If the Corps had wanted you to have WD they'd have issued you with it mate lol ;)

rsheridan5
10-13-2009, 08:38 AM
Funny, They said the same thing about my wife, but I found one of those!
Maybe I will just have to open one myself! I know just the spot too...

Hokiecow
10-13-2009, 12:36 PM
Funny, They said the same thing about my wife, but I found one of those!
Maybe I will just have to open one myself! I know just the spot too...

You should try to get stationed at Quantico or the Pentagon, then you would have at least 2 GW stores near buy and a Battlebunk and GD in near by in Baltimore.

Aldramelech
10-13-2009, 12:43 PM
You should try to get stationed at Quantico or the Pentagon, then you would have at least 2 GW stores near buy and a Battlebunk and GD in near by in Baltimore.

I'm English, and Ive lived in the UK all my life (although I admit my Mother is American) even I know no one wants to live in Baltimore! :rolleyes: lol

rsheridan5
10-13-2009, 12:53 PM
Aldramelech, I like how you have to admit that your mother is American... :rolleyes:

I am actually in the reserves out of Richmond, and am kind of stuck down here in Norfolk. But those stores you mentioned are the ones that I would have to drive hours to go to...
My folks live in Baltimore... And you are right Aldramelech... noboby wants to live there... At least not anybody in thier right minds!
Stafford is not bad though, just a little country for my taste...

Aldramelech
10-13-2009, 01:51 PM
Aldramelech, I like how you have to admit that your mother is American... :rolleyes:

I am actually in the reserves out of Richmond, and am kind of stuck down here in Norfolk. But those stores you mentioned are the ones that I would have to drive hours to go to...
My folks live in Baltimore... And you are right Aldramelech... noboby wants to live there... At least not anybody in thier right minds!
Stafford is not bad though, just a little country for my taste...

Ive seen "The Wire" lol

It aint easy being half septic!

Hokiecow
10-13-2009, 07:44 PM
I'm English, and Ive lived in the UK all my life (although I admit my Mother is American) even I know no one wants to live in Baltimore! :rolleyes: lol

No one said anything about living there, just visit... and then leave. :cool: