PDA

View Full Version : Lord choices and points efficiency

thecactusman17
10-11-2009, 02:28 AM
I am learning more and more about my army (Brettonia) and how it plays, and I am looking now to expand what I have to use Lord choices. This brings up an interesting question that I have: I see a lot of Lord options that cost what I can only describe as an utterly ridiculous number of points--Lizardmen sorcerers that cost 400+ points without even being named, 600 point models of charging death, etc. I can't cite the specific gear combinations but I'm wondering if these sort of point values are common on unnamed characters or if those are abberations? Right now, it would be downright difficult to get my heroes to 200 points, much less make them actually effective at that points cost...

I guess this is because I play an army in 40k (Sisters) that relies on the cost-efficiency of its HQ units (45 points, sans anything but the 2>4 faith points she brings to the table). It's hard to imagine that those points wouldn't crowd out a better unit (or several units!)

Aldramelech
10-11-2009, 02:58 AM
You cant really make comparisons between the two points systems. I have to admit that when I started to play 40k at the beginning of this year I was "Wow, why is everything so cheap!"

You're right about the expensive lord choices, Unless your playing 3000+ pts their not really worth the trouble, you need those points for more important things.

Nothing worse then playing a 2000pt game and having your 300pt Lord skewered by a bolt thrower on turn 2!

Duke
10-15-2009, 03:56 PM
I play Warriors of Chaos and I felt the same exact way... Unfortunatley I have a REALLY hard time not bringing a super expensive Lord... Its a really bad habit for me.

Duke

battling_beast
04-05-2011, 11:45 PM
i take it you use juggernaut lord but good way make him live longer give him that crismon armor so bolt throwers and cannons cant do that additnal d3 or d6 wounds

El_Davo
04-25-2011, 02:31 PM
if you include named lords, i'm a big fan of kurt helberg in my empire army.
ws 7, a4 and with a runefang? thats pretty much nothing but awesomeness.
he is really good at killing just about everything except for maybe other named characters. or maybe other cc oreninted combat characters over all lol. he clocks in at 325 points. little expensive but you get alot out of it. decent armor save, ld 9, laruals of victory, knights immune to psych.

BrokenWing
05-17-2011, 12:00 PM
Fantasy Lords can be much more devastating than 40k Lords, it's why they cost so many more points. Considering the good 600 point lords out there can break a regiment of the same points value, I'd say they're worth it. You just have to not do silly things with them and don't take a super lord in a less than 3,000 point game.

Atreyu
06-17-2011, 03:51 PM
Fantasy Lords can be much more devastating than 40k Lords, it's why they cost so many more points. Considering the good 600 point lords out there can break a regiment of the same points value, I'd say they're worth it. You just have to not do silly things with them and don't take a super lord in a less than 3,000 point game.
I agree on how cheap 40k is compared to fantasy in general, and the subject on the awesome overpowered lords, tell the people who are just there to win or do nothing but power play even in casual games not to take them they will go off on you. My GW store plays special characters like teclis that are way overpowered in 8th edition or just jacked out armies that focus too much on trying to win then having fun. IMO thats alright but there is a point where you just look at their army and notice how their attitude is and just want to walk away because they honestly dont care and if you beat them they get PO and have a tantrum about it like a three year old...

BrokenWing
06-17-2011, 04:05 PM
Well...people are dumb.

I regularly field Valkia and also field Archaoen once the games hit 6,000 points, but I'm not doing it because I think Archaon is the be all end all (although...damn) but because it matches my army fluff.