PDA

View Full Version : Why We Play

Another Random Geek
07-31-2009, 07:55 PM
If I had a dollar for every complaint about 40k I've seen posted online, I'd be a rich man. Too simple, too complicated, too dark, too kid-oriented, etc. While the hobby admittedly has it's drawbacks, (IE: Price, lack of updates for certain armies) I feel that the positive outweighs the negative, otherwise, I wouldn't play the game. Odds are, you feel the same as I do, otherwise it is quite unlikely that you would be frequenting a 40k fansite.

The question I pose to you is this: Why do you play Warhammer 40,000?

Personally, the background is what drew me into it. The vastness of the dark, brooding galaxy of the 41st millennium is unmatched by any other tabletop game that I am aware of, and the moral ambiguity is far more intriguing than the clear "black and white" split between good and evil that permeates so many other settings.

Oh, and the models aren't shabby either; especially the Dark Angels Veterans. Marines in Robes have always been, and will always be awesome.

DuskRaider
07-31-2009, 08:27 PM
Really, the thing that got me into it were the models. ESPECIALLY the tanks, which is kind of funny because nowadays I mainly run a footslogging Death Guard army :p.

I remember being around 10 or 11 years old and walking into an LGS that has since closed down and watching these guys do battles in this ruined city with tanks all over and the atmosphere really sucked me into it. Granted I didn't start playing until about 10 years after that, but still it always intrigued me.

MrGiggles
07-31-2009, 08:41 PM
I actually play for a couple of reasons. First off has got to be the models though. At the heart of it, I'm a cheap *******, but I love to paint. If I can find another use for something I paint, it's cool.

Second has got to be my buddy Sean. He's one of those people who's a great sportsman and he's just so enthusiastic about having fun with the game that it's contagious. I play to play with Sean and to get both of us better at the game.

Oh! And to krump stuff with my Orks, you know, just cause.

link6413
07-31-2009, 09:39 PM
What got me started was the fiction. I love the background of all the races, thats what got me into the Tau and the Death Guard. The models also influenced a lot of my choices. And as far as people who complain about the game, DON'T PLAY.

darth_papi76
07-31-2009, 10:40 PM
For myself it was the background and the ability to recreate that on a tabletop that drew me to the hobby. 4oK is like crack. Once it gets you, its hard to let go. :)

kanisX
07-31-2009, 10:42 PM
I first got into the 40K right before 2nd edition came out. I was already hooked on Warhammer with fantasy (which was brought on by HeroQuest) my first army being Orcs and Goblins.

I just loved the models and the way they were painted. (funny to say now but I thought they were the best sculpts compared to alternative models out there at the time)

Slowly got tired of fantasy unit formations (too much like outdated Napoleon tactics I thought) and a pain to move:)

I loved the small 40K squads and that they were spaced out and not touching bases (this might be the main reason I picked up 40K)

Still the main reason for the hobby was the fluff. Oh the fluff... it inspired me to write my own stories winning me 2 Young Author's awards in 7th grade hahahah sounds sooo cheesy now 'cause I'm so rusty at writing, but seriously the fluff is the glue that holds the hobby together and without it GW would not be here today and Warcraft would never had a chance.

Ok I'll stop now before I go on some random rant:) It's like making a Mac vs. PC argument, just don't go there and you'll be much happier ahahahaha.... so true.

Dragon Knight Of Rhun
07-31-2009, 10:45 PM
For myself it was the background and the ability to recreate that on a tabletop that drew me to the hobby. 4oK is like crack. Once it gets you, its hard to let go. :)

I quote this, because it is exactly where I stand on this. I love bringing my dreams into reality.

crazyredpraetorian
07-31-2009, 10:46 PM
I was always into modeling and painting. I used to paint mini for friends that played D&D. GW contacted me about carrying their line in my store. After a few months of negotiations, I got a deal I couldn't pass up. So, I became an independent stockist. GW sent me an IG army to set the hook and boy, did it. I love to model, paint, and play 40K. I also, love the fluff as well.

ebolus
07-31-2009, 10:49 PM
Lots of reasons but good friends is probably the main reason for me. This is a social thing. Then there is all the fun that follows: fantastic fluff, novels, models, assembling, painting, artistic challenges, rules reading, rules interpreting, rules arguing, forum (lounge) debating, money spending, mad wives ;)

Magos
07-31-2009, 10:58 PM
Fluff mainly. I bought one of the books in Barns and Noble, and was hooked.

wokkers
07-31-2009, 11:03 PM
when i was in high school a friend of mine brought in a copy of this brand new game. it was called warhammer 40k rogue trader. the fluff in the book is what really got me hooked. food for the imagination as it were. since then i have always taken part in at least one facet of the hobby. these days its mainly painting, but i can be coaxed into the occasional game from time to time. i still enjoy the fluff and i think that the black librbary is one of the best things that has happened to the hobby.

Vash113
07-31-2009, 11:09 PM
It's the background that does it for me. I love the dark, grittyness of the 40k fluff and modeling armies with depth and character.

Malficfret
07-31-2009, 11:23 PM
Roleplying started it all for me. Then I saw Rogue trader and was blown away by the vast posability of modeling a three demensional battlle field for all to see. The models and story line of the Imperium of man in this dark, gothic game hauled me in even further. Soon there was debris flying and paint everywhere. I have been a die hard fan thru five reincarnations of the game now and have very few complaints. Now where can I find room for my new scratch built Thunderhawk?

Lerra
07-31-2009, 11:36 PM
Warhammer is one of the few areas where amateurs can paint and do other artistic things without looking overly foolish. After all, most of us are bad painters by an artist's standards, yet we can make really cool looking armies because the models are great and you can't see the mediocre paint job from 2 feet away ;)

Not to mention that it's difficult to find a game that lets to meet so many new people, hang out with them for a few hours while playing a game, and exercise your mind muscles at the same time.

I've never cared for the world of 40k, but the other aspects of the game are too fun to pass up.

MUMBLES
07-31-2009, 11:40 PM
I play for the background, and to be a villain. Ever since I got the dark eldar in the 3rd edition starter set, I've been hooked on being the bad guy. Nothing more fun that taunting Blood Angels players about Sanguinius. :P

RandomX
08-01-2009, 04:59 AM
The background story started me in the game. John Blanche's artwork has supplied my "muse" if you will for my main army (Templar).

I have played since the very beginning of 3rd Ed.

Lately I have been struggling to stay in the actual "gaming" and modeling aspects of the hobby. But I still love the art, stories (I am totally addicted to the Ghosts, and the Heresy series), and background for the game.

-Eric

Brambleten
08-01-2009, 08:01 AM
why do I play?

mainly because I was bought a LotR box set for christmas one year, and it gradually mutated into fantasy and then 40k, first through lack of oppnents, and then just how damned cool lizardmen were. so probably the background and the models dragged me through to fantasy, and then just a want to play more games and have a more complete collection led me to 40k. painting is a necessary evil, but it is more fun to play with painted marines than grey or black ones (no offence to space wolves or Raven guard)

Zigmunth
08-01-2009, 08:31 AM
(no offence to space wolves or Raven guard)

none taken :P

Why do I play?

I started playing with second edition. I spent hours painting those exactly same orks and gretchin, no trukks, just footsloggers. I love the background, fluff, books, tanks and models... mostly models and possibility of converting.

I even love all those overpriced useless bits they release... but, I'm a 'company man' and buy all of them :D

AsgeirArnald
08-01-2009, 09:11 AM
When I was younger I would always look at the models and think "Boy those would be awesome to have". I just never had enough money. Then I started reading the fluff and money was no longer an object. I had to have them. Plus there's nothing like pushing the minis you've worked so hard on around the game table. So why do I play? The models, the background, the gameplay... It all comes together in a wonderful pile of glorious awesomeness!

Inquisitor McSagington
08-01-2009, 09:18 AM
When I was younger I would always look at the models and think "Boy those would be awesome to have". I just never had enough money. Then I started reading the fluff and money was no longer an object. I had to have them. Plus there's nothing like pushing the minis you've worked so hard on around the game table. So why do I play? The models, the background, the gameplay... It all comes together in a wonderful pile of glorious awesomeness!

....Are you me?
Essenially exactly the same, but I bugged parentals to get me a few odds and ends. But no players so it was a needless expense. But now? I play because I like strategy, The fluff, and (most) of the Crunch.

vman
08-01-2009, 09:30 AM
To me its almost nostalgia

Theres also the friend aspect. If you have a mate or group of friends that play WH40k its an excellent opportunity to kill time.

The modeling aspect also draws me back.

Plus the fluff is cool.

Its just a really really good hobby when done with moderation

DevilUknow
08-01-2009, 11:05 AM
For me, its all about the group. If there is a good bunch of guys (lets be honest) then I'm all in for just about any game. If the community dries up or good times are not to be had my better reasoning kicks in and I stop "wasting my money" and drop out.

Recently I've also started taking more of an interest in painting as well (I suck utterly but each time a finish a squad I can see myself getting better).

Mortagon
08-01-2009, 12:06 PM
At first it was the miniatures, but when I started to get into the setting I really got hooked. The 40k universe is by far my favorite SF setting ever, and I really like how the setting has evolved since the Rogue trader days.

Bung
08-01-2009, 03:43 PM
Its Sci Fi
Its Fun
It has great Fluff/Background
Shiny Models i can touch and paint and convert

What else do you need more?

And by the way, its cheaper than the most girlfriends/wifys ;)

Agramar
08-01-2009, 03:44 PM
I only have one reason:It is the best thing that I can do in my free time...take my mp4 full of heavy metal and paint miniatures or meet my colleagues and chat about simple things while we play...But it takes the desires from me of play the people stupid who alone wants to win and not to amuse himself.
Nonetheless, I am very lucky for the colleagues that I have:D

chachi
08-01-2009, 04:11 PM
Let's see, if I had to rank the reasons why I play:
1) Getting together with friends for a friendly game and some beers
2) Fluff
3) Searching for that perfect army list to beat down my buddy
4) Modeling/painting

The Green Git
08-01-2009, 05:21 PM
It's the modeling and painting coupled with the lure of actually being able to play with the models.

I've been a static modeler since age 10 and a wargamer and role player since college. When I found out about 40K I jumped at the chance to actually play games with models.

entendre_entendre
08-01-2009, 05:51 PM
i can say that i got into 40k through an introduction by a friend. he showed me what he picked up from games workshop: a space marine land speeder. i thought it was cool so i got in on the fun.
ironically, now i have far more minis than him :)

herger
08-01-2009, 06:13 PM
What got me was the 2nd. ed. box set. It was the first time i've seen anything like that. A game with miniature soldiers that looked awesome.Going from "RISK" that had numbers to repersent your army to 40K that had miniatures was a epic leap forward for me.

kitiara
08-02-2009, 08:06 AM
it's difficult to say... it's funny!!
it's the only reason!!:D

Zman
08-02-2009, 09:20 AM
I'm in this hobby to enjoy.
Modeling, painting, and sometimes, play a match with friends or another players. I enjoy with this so much.
The only black points in this hobby is the bad players, and GW don't update old codex...

TheKingElessar
08-02-2009, 10:11 AM
I learnt to play thanks to my dad, who played. I've always loved the fluff, and been competitive, so having a vivid imagination and being pretty decent are naturally reasons to continue - I grew up with the game, since I learnt at 8, back in 2nd Ed.

I wouldn't have any interest, however, in continuing if not for the social aspect. I dropped out for a year or so, back in the day when my local GW staff were jerks, and my opponent pool dried up to two. Having gotten back in at the very very end of 4th was good, it allows me to read 5th Rules without a 4th Ed bias - a lot of players still confuse the rulesets, or play outdated lists. Luckily, the internet has expanded my social sphere beyond the 40 or so I regularly get to interact with.

SotonShades
08-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Well lets see... Originally I got into the hobby because of the beautiful models, both those painted by my mum's cousin and those at my local Games Workshop (Leicester, UK). As I got more into it I got more and more into the background, reading as many of the Black Library novels as I can get my hands on, as well as all the fluff in the codexs and army books before I even get to the rules and models.

Not to say that I dont love blowing stuff up. The social side of the game is fantastic, and seeing those special moment in the game in an almost cinematic fashion in my mind keeps me coming back to see my army get thrashed over and over.

Oddly I've come full circle in the roughly 12 years I've been in the hobby. So much recently I've been doing models for the sake of the models, rather than their background or how they play. It's even got to the point where the manager at GW Leicester is asking to put my models in the display cabinets, and chatting to new hobbiests hopefully inspiring them to get into all this stuff.

Lord Sandwich
08-02-2009, 11:25 AM
Well, to be honest, Warmachine is a better Skirmish game. Flames of War is a better mass battle game. So what does 40K have going for it? In my opinion, two things: first, the fanbase. As far as I can tell, no other wargame has as large a fanbase as 40K. You can walk into nearly any wargaming store and find a person or two who play. The second thing is the background. No other game has such an established background (FoW is historical, so real history doesn't count) or such a COOL background. In my opinion, it's BECAUSE of its dark, Gothic background that makes 40K a superior game.

Oh, and also, there's so much more room for creativity than in Warmachine/Hordes. After all, there's millions of Guard regiments, and a thousand Marine chapters. You could be playing with anyone from anywhere. Your battle could have happened, regardless of the time period: who's to say it didn't happen? In Warmachine, you're playing with what? A specific individual, leading a specific force. Not nearly as interesting.

Occam
04-07-2011, 02:20 PM
I play because I'm fortunate to have a cousin who is cool enough to fly me out east, buy me all of my modals and then spend a week making them together. Really, I'm too poor to be able to play otherwise.

I play because it reminds me of all the GI JOE wars I used to have with my older brother who died from drugs several years ago.

Daemonette666
04-07-2011, 06:49 PM
I do not like the Fluff, storyline or any of the other backgrounds that go with the 40K universe. Why I left 40K, Fantasy and Epic Space marine back in 1995 was that they kept on changing the rules, base sizes, dropping races and army lists and making it so I could not enjoy the game.

Why I got back into 40K in 2006 was that I had a friend who showed me 4th edition and I really liked the Chaos Space Marine miniatures. I love painting, and had already amassed a collection of 1000 Classic battletech miniatures by this time, and my mate wanted to play 40K more than he did any other gaming system (He owned minis and rules for about 5 gaming systems).

I enjoyed the 3rd edition re-release Chaos Marine codex, and then GW hit us with the dreaded 4th edition codex we have now. I changed with the times, and my tactics also changed.

What kept me in was my love of the Chaos Space Marine miniatures, My desire to paint those miniatures, and that when the 5th edition rules came out, although they Sucked a bit because of the altered close combat rules and true line of sight thing, they were still manageable.

Gaming tactics, miniatures and painting are what keep most people in the game. I would have to say that fluff is a separate thing that some like more than others, and it is not the thing that draws or keeps most people in the game, especially when they start to whinge about changes made, or new army list that that are released.

eldargal
04-07-2011, 07:07 PM
The 40k universe is right up there with the best sci-fi universes created, in my opinion, with more interesting races and atmosphere than most. That is a big plus. The rules while a tad clunky, have character and make for a fun afternoon of gaming. The models are the finest commercial models out there, the only figures I see that ar superior are the sculpts put out by small companies in small numbers.

Re skirmish games, 40k isn't really a skirmish agame and hasn't been since RT/2nd ed. If you want to compare something to Warmachine, compare Necromunda. I think Necromunda comes out better.:p If only they would make a second edition.