PDA

View Full Version : 1850 Egil the Iron Wolf's GC...He's a little busy elsewhere though

PinoyC
10-11-2009, 04:48 AM
RP
-MoR

WP
MB

Dread
ExA
WtN

Dread
ExA
WtN

Dread
ExA
WtN

GH x10
MG x2
PF

BC x9
MG
PF

GH x6
PG

GH x6
PG

RB
ExA

RB
Exa

LRC
ExA
MM

LR
ExA
MM

Plan here is to have the LR/LRC screen the RBs and move forward...blasting all the way...while my Dread squad stays together and focuses on one target at a time (I've been using the 3 Dread system since 07 and they work well...drawing fire from RH/RB sand putting 12xS6 and 6xS4 shots down range...my Greater Deamon eaters). My opponents really have to use target priority w/ their Hvy Weapons.

*Both HQs are in the LRC w/ BCs (using oath of war against Infantry to make better use of the plethora of attacks)
*I'd like to put a flamer on my BCs but I don't have the model painted yet
*Power1 for the RP will definitely be Tempest's Wrath (24" cone of difficult/dangerous) to slow my enemies and potentially cause wounds...mostly as DS deterrent though.
*Power 2 for the RP will either be Fury of the Wolf Spirits or Living Lightning...guaranteed amt of shots and avg Str vs 1-6 S7 shots...dunno.
*I'm working on WG termies but that'll take some time to figure out exactly what I want and then put em together.
*MBs were leftover points
*I really wish the IP was a HQ choice or an add on to use as a leader...I don't like taking away my dreads for him though.

Thoughts?

PC

Chumbalaya
10-11-2009, 07:39 AM
Well, first off, all those abbreviations hurt my eyes :P

Now, if 've got this right, here's some suggestions.

-Rune Priest could always use a Chooser
-Wolf Priest is bleh, there are plenty of better characters
-Dreads are fine an dandy, EA is a bit pricey if you want them shooty. I prefer dual TLAC (more firepower at higher S) or MM/HF (pops heavy armor, helps in assault).
-Don't put powerfists on models with only 1 attack. If your GH/BC are rushing out of a Land Raider, a Wolf Guard pack leader is mandatory, otherwise you won't have enough high S attacks. Meltas on BC are pointless.
-Razorback squads should have a melta so they stand a chance of popping armor. Extra Armor wasted on Razorz.
-Just take 2 LRCs, they are the superior ride.

It's a typical Raider rush Wolf force. You are lacking on the anti-heavy armor as it comes down to single meltas in assaulty units or MM on your high priority Land Raiders. Some MM/HF Speeders and Long Fangs would help a lot here. Using your Dreads as TLAC platforms would be useful too, much more efficient at knocking out light armor than an AC.

mkerr
10-11-2009, 09:59 AM
@Pinoy: I like the NYT Crossword, but for some reason puzzles don't work with my 40K forum time, lol. Too many abbreviations.

1. If you are taking Living Lightning or Fury then you need a Chooser of the Slain.

2. I'd probably go for two Venerable Dreadnoughts over three regular Dreadnoughts. That leaves you open to take Wolf Guard.

3. Every Grey Hunters squad should have a Mark of the Wulfen. It's, by far, the best unit upgrade and I've dropped Blood Claws entirely because of it. The Grey Hunters squads I've been using are 9 GHs, 1 Meltagun, 1 Mark of the Wulfen, 1 Wolf Guard (w/Mark of the Wulfen and a Combi-melta). I'm really liking it as my 10-man squad. It's weird not having Power Weapons/Fists at first, but MotW really makes up the difference.

4. I'm worried that a Wolf Priest and 9 Blood Claws in a Land Raider just isn't enough to deal with really nasty units. You might want to consider working in a Wolf Guard Battle Leader (or someone with Saga of the Warrior Born). If this was my unit, I'd probably go with Grey Hunters because Wolf Priest + MotW is pretty sweet.

5. I've been meaning to try Grey Hunters in Razor Backs for a while. The math looks really intriguing. But you still need a MotW in these squads if you hope to hold anything with them.

6. I don't like mixing Dreadnoughts and Mechanized marines in the same army (reserving my Dreadnoughts for Drop Armies or footsloggers). I like the ability to keep my force together. Since most of your army is moving at 12", your Dreadnoughts are going to be 2-3 turns behind the rest of your army -- forcing them into a shooting support role. If that's what they are, then you'd be better off with Long Fangs for the points.

7. I like the price of the Iron Priest, but he suffers because he's not an independent character. So if you want to benefit from Saga of the Iron Wolf, then he's going to be pretty much alone in that transport (the one that he can't buy because he doesn't have any transport options). I guess I just haven't found a good way to use him yet, lol.

Best of luck and let us know what list you settle on.

-- mkerr