PDA

View Full Version : Iron Priest, MoW, & WG dedicated LR Qs

PinoyC
10-11-2009, 05:16 AM
Is the IP really supposed to be a non-IC? That does mean that he can't join any units right? This is retarded...I don't see why he can be so close to wolves but can't join any squad.

If I get a special weapon (Flamer/Melta/Plasma) on a GH/BC, can I give him the MoW? Am I understanding that all attacks from a model w/ MoW ignore what he's armed w/, correctly? (e.g. no double str from pwr fists or the ignore armor saves)

Under the WG entry it says that I can get a LR as a dedicated xport for one squad of WG...if I farm out all the WG from that unit as squad sgts does that mean that I can deploy one squad in said LR? (I'm thinking no, due to the fact that they change to whatever organization slot they've been farmed to) Either way, does this mean that I have to have a squad made of 1-10 WG to utilize the LR as a dedicated xport?

Also...not specific to SW but if I use a Psychic power (that's not a shooting attack), can I use it while in a transport that doesn't have fire points? If so, where does the range delineate from?

Some people are really trying to bend the rules out here where I play and I disagree w/ it entirely but I'd like to get your input. When you take Logan Grimnar, it states that you can take WG units in your army as troops choices. Well some people are taking this to mean that you can use WGBLs as troops too. I think that they meant just the WG but since any individual squad, IC, and vehicle are considered "units", we've got some beardy fellas over here trying armies of all ICs. Tactically it's kind of ignorant as you'd have so many points put down for so few models ( a curse that we wolves have had to deal w/ forever...but this takes it to another extreme). ---Yet ANOTHER reason that I don't believe in taking SCs in anything other than special games...I can understand Canis if you wanted to bring the wolf tide every once in a while, but that's about it.---
PC

MightyOrang
10-11-2009, 09:33 AM
As best I can recall (and I'll have to go check the Vanilla Marines codex), no techmarine can act as an IC ... they all act as mini units with retuines of servitors. Only the Master of the Forge counts as an IC.

Right?

PinoyC
10-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Actually, they are ICs (I had to go check)...at least in 4th & 5th Ed C:SM...he was also an IC in the old SW book...which makes me wonder...

Kanaellars
10-11-2009, 10:41 AM
Regarding the other questions

MotW ignores armerments, so dont give them any.

WG Land Raider doesnt have to be used by the wolf guard, but no one else can START in it. They could start next to it and get in in turn 1.

I always play ANY psychic power needs a fire point

and no, WGBL are not troops.... only squads

DarkLink
10-11-2009, 11:58 AM
I always play ANY psychic power needs a fire point

Shooting powers require fire points. Other powers do not, however. So if you have a SM Librarian in a transport, you can use that "reroll all successful invlnerable saves within 24" " power all you want, but the transport must have a firepoint in order to use one of the shooting powers. This is from the rules on page 66; "if a player needs to measure a range involving the embarked unit (except for its shooting), this range is measured to or from the vehicle's hull." There is nothing in the BRB barring a unit from using psychic powers within a transport, though because shooting powers specifically count as a shooting attack, they do require a fire point.

Nabterayl
10-11-2009, 05:25 PM
Is the IP really supposed to be a non-IC? That does mean that he can't join any units right? This is retarded...I don't see why he can be so close to wolves but can't join any squad.
If he isn't an IC then he isn't an IC. Imperial Guard techpriests aren't ICs either.

If I get a special weapon (Flamer/Melta/Plasma) on a GH/BC, can I give him the MoW? Am I understanding that all attacks from a model w/ MoW ignore what he's armed w/, correctly? (e.g. no double str from pwr fists or the ignore armor saves)You can, yes. Mark of the Wulfen doesn't affect ranged weapons. It does ignore close combat weapons, so as others have said, don't give a MoW model any CC weapons.

Under the WG entry it says that I can get a LR as a dedicated xport for one squad of WG...if I farm out all the WG from that unit as squad sgts does that mean that I can deploy one squad in said LR? (I'm thinking no, due to the fact that they change to whatever organization slot they've been farmed to) Either way, does this mean that I have to have a squad made of 1-10 WG to utilize the LR as a dedicated xport?
You have to buy a unit of wolf guard to get the Land Raider as a dedicated transport, but you don't have to deploy a unit of wolf guard. If you buy a wolf guard squad with a dedicated transport you can absolutely farm the entire wolf guard squad out to other units as squad leaders during deployment, and still deploy the Land Raider. Because it's still a dedicated transport for a unit that effectively doesn't exist any more, no units could start in it.

Also...not specific to SW but if I use a Psychic power (that's not a shooting attack), can I use it while in a transport that doesn't have fire points? If so, where does the range delineate from?
Range is measured from the hull of the vehicle, as others have pointed out.

Some people are really trying to bend the rules out here where I play and I disagree w/ it entirely but I'd like to get your input. When you take Logan Grimnar, it states that you can take WG units in your army as troops choices. Well some people are taking this to mean that you can use WGBLs as troops too. I think that they meant just the WG but since any individual squad, IC, and vehicle are considered "units", we've got some beardy fellas over here trying armies of all ICs. Tactically it's kind of ignorant as you'd have so many points put down for so few models ( a curse that we wolves have had to deal w/ forever...but this takes it to another extreme). ---Yet ANOTHER reason that I don't believe in taking SCs in anything other than special games...I can understand Canis if you wanted to bring the wolf tide every once in a while, but that's about it.---
PC
It's true that wolf guard battle leaders are units, but it isn't true that they're units of wolf guard. The universal canon of construction for GW rules is that references to unit types or wargear refer only to exact string matches unless otherwise specified or unless there is no exact string match. "Wolf guard" has an exact match ("wolf guard") so it does not refer to wolf guard battle leaders (whose name is not an exact match even though it includes the exact words "wolf guard"). By contrast, scout biker sergeants from the standard codex can take Astartes grenade launchers because the codex states that any "biker" can take one, and there is no exact match for that (there are only "scout bikers" and "scout biker sergeants").

PinoyC
10-11-2009, 09:03 PM
Techmarines vs Tech Priest isn't the same...I understand that until an Errata/FAQ comes out that I can't have him run around like an IC but the IG version is is an add on not an Elites choice.

Then MOW on the Special Weapons trooper it is.

rgr, thx

rgr, thx

I'll bring this argument up next weekend...hope it's enough to stop the craziness.