PDA

View Full Version : Teclis

Learn2Eel
11-13-2012, 08:10 PM
Hi guys, I'm a budding High Elves player (though they are on the back-burner at the moment) and I am set on doing a Teclis list, where games are regularly 2000 points in my local area.

Now, having studied High Elves online significantly, I know that Teclis is regarded by many as the most broken special character in the entire game - i.e. he regularly wins games on his own and fighting a Teclis list often revolves around whether he lives or dies. I also see that using him in local games is considered a pretty bad move. And apparently, putting him with Phoenix Guard and a Banner of the World Dragon is considered to be broken.

In any case, the first part of my question is this; if I am a local player, is it really that bad to use Teclis? High Elves are my first Fantasy army and I've only had two or three proper games of Fantasy, and I still don't understand the nature of the game, even if I know most of the rules. I don't want to come off as a **** to other players. However, I really like Teclis' background and to me he just seems to be the best deal for a character at 2000 points. He also has enough in-built weaknesses IMO - he can quite easily be sniped with his frail stat-line. Also, his model is wicked cool and relatively cheap. In general, I tend not to care what army other people play; I don't really complain about a person's army list if I think it is cheesy. I might mention in passing that "ah, looks like a tournament list", but I never actually complain.

Mostly if you see me talking about 'WAAC-bullplop' lists on here it is mostly a little jab at armies that were bought without fun or theme in my mind and focused solely on exceptional competitiveness. I'm firmly of the belief that you should be allowed to play with whatever army you want, seeing as you spent your hard earned money on it. About all I do is give advice to players looking for a good army list - I help them write balanced army lists, not full-on armies. In that sense, is Teclis really so bad? Should I refrain from using him where I play? I don't see him as an avenue to win games - I see him as a cool character that I really like. I love Tyrion as well, but when it comes down to such things, I look at who I think works better for my army - hence why I pick Teclis as I want to be a really strong magic-user as High Elves are famous for that.

Now, onto the second part of my question. What do you guys think is a good way to run him? What people commonly say, and what I think as well, is to put him with a sizeable block of Phoenix Guard - not only because it is a logical choice competitively, but also because I really like Phoenix Guard and I would love to have a big selection of them. Ideally, you put the Phoenix Guard behind your Core units - either Sea Guard or Spearmen usually - and just keep them away from combat unless you need their contribution. Is that a good way to run him? Also, is Banner of the World Dragon really as good as it is made out to be? I'd love to see what tactics you guys have when using or even fighting Teclis. It all helps me to get an idea of how to use him well.

Thanks for any and all assistance.

Bean
11-15-2012, 03:52 PM
Hi guys, I'm a budding High Elves player (though they are on the back-burner at the moment) and I am set on doing a Teclis list, where games are regularly 2000 points in my local area.

Now, having studied High Elves online significantly, I know that Teclis is regarded by many as the most broken special character in the entire game - i.e. he regularly wins games on his own and fighting a Teclis list often revolves around whether he lives or dies. I also see that using him in local games is considered a pretty bad move. And apparently, putting him with Phoenix Guard and a Banner of the World Dragon is considered to be broken.

In any case, the first part of my question is this; if I am a local player, is it really that bad to use Teclis? High Elves are my first Fantasy army and I've only had two or three proper games of Fantasy, and I still don't understand the nature of the game, even if I know most of the rules. I don't want to come off as a **** to other players. However, I really like Teclis' background and to me he just seems to be the best deal for a character at 2000 points. He also has enough in-built weaknesses IMO - he can quite easily be sniped with his frail stat-line. Also, his model is wicked cool and relatively cheap. In general, I tend not to care what army other people play; I don't really complain about a person's army list if I think it is cheesy. I might mention in passing that "ah, looks like a tournament list", but I never actually complain.

Mostly if you see me talking about 'WAAC-bullplop' lists on here it is mostly a little jab at armies that were bought without fun or theme in my mind and focused solely on exceptional competitiveness. I'm firmly of the belief that you should be allowed to play with whatever army you want, seeing as you spent your hard earned money on it. About all I do is give advice to players looking for a good army list - I help them write balanced army lists, not full-on armies. In that sense, is Teclis really so bad? Should I refrain from using him where I play? I don't see him as an avenue to win games - I see him as a cool character that I really like. I love Tyrion as well, but when it comes down to such things, I look at who I think works better for my army - hence why I pick Teclis as I want to be a really strong magic-user as High Elves are famous for that.

Now, onto the second part of my question. What do you guys think is a good way to run him? What people commonly say, and what I think as well, is to put him with a sizeable block of Phoenix Guard - not only because it is a logical choice competitively, but also because I really like Phoenix Guard and I would love to have a big selection of them. Ideally, you put the Phoenix Guard behind your Core units - either Sea Guard or Spearmen usually - and just keep them away from combat unless you need their contribution. Is that a good way to run him? Also, is Banner of the World Dragon really as good as it is made out to be? I'd love to see what tactics you guys have when using or even fighting Teclis. It all helps me to get an idea of how to use him well.

Thanks for any and all assistance.

If you like him, use him. If your local group really objects, they'll let you know, but (especially when you're just starting off) try to play things you think you'll like.

As for using him, not much to it, really. Be careful with him--he needs a fairly tough block that'll protect him and keep him alive, but remember that, since he's going to be in the front rank, getting into combat is fairly dangerous for him even if his block performs well.

As for lores, life is particularly good (for everyone, but it works well for high elves, too). Throne of vines is less important on teclis than on most casters, but it's still nice, and knowing all the spells in the lore (not to mention having extra dice) helps you put it to good use (getting it and another spell off in the same turn, for instance). Casting the toughness-buff on his own unit makes him much, much more resilient, and is thus pretty worthwhile.

Calathean
11-24-2012, 09:33 AM
Hi Learn2Eel, I am pretty new to the forum but have played High Elves since I started playing Warhammer, unfortunately for me Teclis is pretty sore subject with my gaming group as he has board wiped people before they have even got to my combat units, however it is based on how you use him rather than using him in the first place. I also have found that I make compromises with my group, if there is something mean they are using in the game I will use Teclis because it makes it fair. However if you want to use him a regular basis make sure you build a list around the fact that he is in your army. I tend to try and theme it. I will try explain what I mean. My competitive Teclis list at 2000 points involves him being a unit of 40 White Lions accompanied by a BSB with the World Dragon Banner, so his entire unit is immune to magic with 3+ Armour against shooting and then they are monsters in combat.

However when I play friendly games I bust out the Sword Masters and have them in smaller units so he can be got to, or of you are to put him in a big unit, don't just sit back and hammer them magic. Make sure with your unit to advance and try and get them into combat, simply put try and make the game fun because it is very easy with Teclis to simply sit back and crush you enemy to dust.