PDA

View Full Version : A list worthy of bringing down a GW manager

foostoofoo
10-11-2009, 10:19 AM
So down at my lical gaming club the manager challenged me to a 1500 point game of 40k. Naturally I accepted :)
He sad he will be using his imperial fist army led by pedro kantor (suitably renamed) and of course sternguards. Apart from that all I know is that he has no termis or LR's.

So I've wrote a list which could combat his army

HQ
Librarian, terminator armour and storm shield - 140

Troops
10 tactical marines, missile launcher - 170
Rhino - 35

10 tactical marines, missile launcher - 170
Rhino - 35

5 scouts, sniper rifles, camo cloaks - 90

Elites
5 terminators, CML - 230

5 terminators, CML - 230

10 assault terminators, 10 TH/SS - 400

So I know that there are alot of termis but this is built for anti marines. I had also thought of an alternative, which was minus one of the shooty termi squads and replace them with 2 vindicators with extra armour, do you think this would work better?

AirHorse
10-11-2009, 11:34 AM
I think you would do alot better if you dropped some of those assault terminators and found a few more points for a land raider redeemer. You need something to deliver your assault marines into combat anyway and ap3 templates will wipe the floor with sternguard.

Chumbalaya
10-11-2009, 11:49 AM
Teleporting Termies is a bad idea, don't do it.

If he's running a foot Sternguard Pedro list, I don't think you have much to worry about. Just bring a good mech list and he shouldn't have much to worry you. Sternguard die like normal marines to shooting, and they aren't good in HtH but get stuck with stubborn.

2-3 Tac Squads in Rhinos (MM and flamer) for scoring, blocking LoS, tank busting, burnin, and general support.
TH/SS Termies in a LRC (kills stuff dead)
MM/HF Speeders (cheap armor busters and infantry slayers) or Typhoons (long range equivalent)
AC/HB Predators (lotsa dakka) or TLAC Dreads
Vindicator or 2 is always handy

Keep it cheap, keep it mobile, keep it blasty (or crushy in the case of the Termies). You'll outnumber him even with vehicles, every unit can threaten armor or infantry with lots of shots or templates and if it's just an infantry horde he won't have any answer to your wall of armor.

sangrail777
10-11-2009, 11:52 AM
I like the list as is with the droppin of one of the shooty terms and adding the 2 vindicators. There's always something so fun about dropping two ordnance plates on an opponent.

ggg
10-11-2009, 12:38 PM
I would go with the vindies. They are more attention grabbing and this is more likely to buy your thunder hammer unit - (now possibly units?) time to run across the pitch to get into play. I run them with seige shields (rather than extra armour) in order to get the terrain cover saves without risk. That makes for a straight down the throat army.
If he's in rhinos you can make him walk - or keep them in reserve against drop pods. They are fun! Good luck taking your black shirt scalp.

slobulous
10-14-2009, 02:16 AM
I would definitely drop a squad of shooty termies for 2 vindicators.

I would also drop 3-5 from the assault terminators, drop the scouts, and something else to make room for a land raider of some sort for librarian and assault terminators. This will really help make sure they reach their target intact and make the assault on their own terms.

Scouts in the new codex are trash. 5 bs 3 snipers should hit 2-3 times, and then wound once or twice. It doesn't matter what they are shooting at, snipers have fixed rolls. You are paying 90 points for about 2 armor saves a turn, which can likely be saved anyway. That is horrible efficiency. You are better off with a squad of 5 regular tactical marines.

Chumbalaya
10-14-2009, 05:55 AM
Generally you field camo scouts to hold your home objective on the cheap. T4 with 3+ to 2+ cover is very handy.

godzy
10-14-2009, 08:03 AM
LRR > LRC
2+ remove marine template? yes please:D

EmperorEternalXIX
10-14-2009, 02:21 PM
The thunder hammer guys should form a line in front of the rest, then just walk. If you are keeping that list I'd use them to soak up bullets as much as you can. Also, not that I normally advocate the use of the Retard Wagon, but the Land Raider in any flavor is immune to the fire from sternguard, which will be a large percentage of his army.

redrio
10-17-2009, 12:52 PM
drop a unit of shooty termies and the scouts (free up 320pts) and swap the MLs for MM in the tac sqds.

Get a LRR with MM and a Speeder with HF/MM. I know you said he doesn't have LRs himself, but melta is good for opportunistic anti IC shots or for just wasting a marine a turn (that and there's nothing for 80 points in the codex!) If you could find 5pts from somewhere you could squeeze in a HB/AC Predator though...

Split the big termy squad in two and use the redeemer as a fiery, killy, angry taxi for the 2 TH/SS sqds to get quick charges in, and even the shooty ones if it survives long enough....