PDA

View Full Version : 1850 Slaaneshi Chaos Marine Goodness

elrodogg
10-12-2009, 01:25 PM
Hey all. I am just trying to get back into 40k, after a 4 year fantasy haitus. While I paint up some tau for everyone to crunch on, I figured I would relearn the game using the CSM army I own.

Based on models I own and used to enjoy using last edition....

Daemon prince w/ wings, lash, mark of slaanesh
Daemon prince w/ wings, lash, mark of slaanesh

5 Noise marines w/ blastmaster
5 Noise marines w/ blastmaster

10 Noise marines w/ 6 sonic blasters, blastmaster, champ w/ fist
10 Noise marines w/ 6 sonic blasters, blastmaster, champ w/ fist

10 chaos marines w/ champ w/ fist, 2 meltaguns, rhino
10 chaos marines w/ champ w/ fist, 2 meltaguns, rhino

2 oblits

I know that troops are important and larger more survivable squads in this edition seem to do better than smaller ones because of kill points replacing victory points. How will this do? get creamed or hold it's own?

SlavesToDarkness
10-12-2009, 02:04 PM
I think you will struggle against tanks and hordes (cult armies are tough to play though). Best to combine / drop the two units of 5 and add some Rhinos. Better to have four mounted troop choices than 6 with only 2 Rhinos.

Chumbalaya
10-12-2009, 03:05 PM
Scoring units are important, but you don't need to shell out fo a full 6. At 1850, 2-4 is all you really need. It's less about capturing every objective than holding 1 more than your opponent. Hold your home base and knock him off of the rest, that should do it.

I'd look into picking up more Rhinos, they're quite cheap and give you a good way to zip your troops around, plus the added benefits of mobile terrain, tank shocking, and havoc launchers (amps for the touring bus :P).

Oblits are a solid support pick, grab more if possible.

The Princes are quite vulnerable with only T5, 2 Sorcerors might help you. If you want the Princes, grab Defilers for a big stompy monsterfest.

Noise Marines put out an impressive amount of firepower, but they don't do well against tanks and cost more for no increase in survivability, so look for units to fill those gaps. Rhinos are good protection for cheap, Oblits are solid swiss army weapons, Chosen can give you some cheap meltas, and Lesser Daemons can boost your numbers.

MajorSoB
10-12-2009, 03:37 PM
The list is OK, here are a few changes I would make:

-Add a Greater Deamon, you have 4 champs plus 2 DP you could pop it out of. They are a steal at 100 points!

- I hate the double lash/ DP, it is a fine power gaming choice but you might find your opponents get weary of it. With that being said it is the only choice if you expect to use the lash combo. Sorcerers dont have Eternal Warrior and get popped way too quickly plus nothing kills like a Deamon Prince. Deamon Princes also wreck armor as well.

-I think with several PF, 4 Blastmasters, 4 meltaguns, 2 DP and possibly a Greater Deamon you have plenty tank killing. Remember Slaanesh is a close support, moving and shooting hand to hand machine so you want your tank hunters to reflect that.

-Drop the Oblits. They ruin your theme and are not Slaanesh, they are a cult unto themselves perfectly fine for Black Legion or a Renegade chapter but they dont work in a true cult army. Oblits are expensive as well and can now be instakilled with fists, lascannons and meltaguns. They arent worth 75 points a piece, drop them.

-Mount your remaining two 10 man squads. Even if you dont use the rhinos for transport they are great mobile terrain to help limit incoming fire.

-Chosen and Possessed are nice for flavor but not needed.

-Lesser Deamons are a joke, by the time they swing you should have worked through the squad they are assisting you with already. They have a low save and will help your opponent with kills to even close combat. Avoid them.

-While bikes generally are too costly, termies are a nice option. Add the mark and LC and you have a great killing machine. Add a fist or two for the versatility to kill tanks, but like I said you seem to be fine with that.

Good luck. Concentrate your fire power, be smart when picking your assaults and you should do just fine.

Chumbalaya
10-12-2009, 06:11 PM
The reason you'd take Sorcs is to avoid having them picked out. A DP is going to be a high priority target, and with only T5 and 3 wounds they aren't hard to bring down. If there are other MCs, Dreads or Defilers life is easier because you're overloading your opponent with big gribbly targets. Sorcs can hide inside in a unit for safety.

Oblits aren't going to fit theme, but they are solid gold. Any weapon you want on a pretty resilient platform that can move and fire, all for relatively cheap.

Daemons aren't particularly good on their own, but in a shooty-oriented army with lots of expensive models, cheap combat fodder that can tie bad guys down for a couple turns are always handy. Plus they can also double as cheap objective holders.