PDA

View Full Version : help please with 2k Space Wolves army

geneticdeviant
10-12-2009, 06:07 PM
hey, looking for some help coming up with a 2k army list.

I want to include canis wolfburn, njal stormcaller, ragnar blackmane, ulrik the slayer and lukas the trickster.

with that in mind can anyone suggest an army list please?

Chumbalaya
10-12-2009, 06:15 PM
That's a lot of points in characters, probably around 1000 points before you get any boots on the ground. I wouldn't recommend it, build your army around maybe 1 of these dogs, but not all.

-Canis works exceptionally well in a cav-heavy list with plenty of dogs, Thunderwolves, and firepower to back them up (Fangs and Grey Hunters)
-Njal also works nicely in a foot list, or any list really. Get him in the middle so his powers get their largest effect, but don't get in combat.
-Ragnar requires a LRC and buddies to run with him, so mech is the obvious pick.
-Ulrik and Lukas kinda suck, I wouldn't bother with either.

geneticdeviant
10-13-2009, 06:17 AM
would logan grimnar be good choice then?

was maybe thinking of canis wolfburn, , njal stormcaller, ulrik the slayer as HQ choices (ulrik to get the plus 1 on a father jorn dread).

maybe fitting in logan grimnar somwhere too.

you think lukas the trickster not worth it then?

how would you build your army around this setup?

wittdooley
10-13-2009, 07:48 AM
I'm no expert on the SW list building, but I think with your IC HQ slots, 2 Named Characters seems to be the sweet spot, as they're just so high in point cost. I think you CAN throw in Canis as a 3rd, but only because he's under that 200 point line.

With that being said, I totally agree with Chumb on the list makeup for characters. I sort of disagree with Ragnar, who could also work well in a Drop Pod/Blood Claw army.

As for Lukas...I actually think he can be a fun character to use in a Ragnar based army. I don't necessarily think he's worth the point cost, but I'm excited about using him and a unit of Blood Claws as a MC hunter unit--could be fun.

mkerr
10-13-2009, 07:52 AM
I want to include canis wolfburn, njal stormcaller, ragnar blackmane, ulrik the slayer and lukas the trickster.

You are going to have a really hard time building an army that can win games with that many expensive independent characters. Even with 2000pts to play with, you won't have enough models to finish a game.

I recommend taking only one (but it might be possible to have 1 + Lukas or 1 + Ulrik). Decide what kind of army that you want to play -- Canis, Njal and Ragnar all lead to very different builds.

For example, if you want to use Ragnar + Lukas I could see a very nasty large unit of Blood Claws (with Lukas) in a Land Raider Crusader with Ragnar attached as your army's center piece. The rest of your points could be spread between a few mechanized Grey Hunter's squads and some support elements (Land Speeders, Long Fangs, etc.) that will help keep your mechanized units in play until you are get them into an assault.

Best of luck!

-- mkerr

DarkLink
10-13-2009, 08:01 AM
Those characters listed are 990pts on their own (not counting anything else, like Lucas' squad, or the min troops choices). Exchanging one for Logan Grimnar bumps that up to over 1000pts, minimum.

It might be a fun list to play once or twice, but you probably don't want this many characters in your standard list. Characters take up too many points (at least when you take this many).

geneticdeviant
10-15-2009, 06:28 AM
based on the above advice ive decided i want njal and canis as my hq choices in my 2k list .

im an aggressive player, like to pummel with firepower then hit hard in close combat.

how would you build an army based on this?

was thinking maybe adding lukas in a 3k list leading skyclaws or blood claws, maybe also fitting in logan grimnar and ulrik the slayer somwhere too.

Unholy_Martyr
10-15-2009, 09:34 AM
Think about your army this way...While you may want to pummel your opponents from afar and then rush in for the killing blow, how are either of your HQ choices affecting this? Canis and Njal are two different beasts when you put them in perspective; also you have to be clear as to how you're getting your troops to their would-be victims. With Canis in there, I would assume some of your force will be mounted up whether it be Thunderwolf Calvary, Rhinos or what have you. Now with Njal in the picture, he only really benefits you when he is in the fray so you have to think, "if I want to bombard them then rush in and finish the job, why am I focusing on two CQB HQ's?". Personally, if you want to demolish from afar then run in, you would be better suited with Bjorn and Canis. Bjorn being a beast at range and also lending some benefits that could prove useful.(Free Plasma Cannon?) Then again, at 2K You're options get limited quick when 500 points are already dedicated to HQ's. So think about what you really want and what you can really field before making the "Dream Team" of Space Wolves.

Chumbalaya
10-15-2009, 10:09 AM
Njal and Canis? That could work.

Njal
Canis
2x Iron Priests w/ Thunderwolf mount, wolf tooth necklace, 4 cyberwolves
3x 10 Grey Hunters w/ 2 meltas
2x 10 Wolves
3 Thunderwolves, 1 TH, 1 SS
2x MM/HF Speeder
2x 5 Long Fangs, 4 missile launchers

1975 points

You have a big block of 30 marines + Njal walking up the field with meltas in case anything mean comes calling. 5 cav units, 4 of which have a nasty Thunderwolf inside (10 naked wolves make for good screening), 2 units of Fangs to go after transports with Njal's help, and MM/HF Speeders to support as necessary (Deep Striking in unless the enemy has little ranged firepower).

drummerholt1234
10-15-2009, 11:39 AM
You could try my 2k wolves list:

Space Wolves 2000pts (http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=2600)