5 man sniper scout squad with camo

Elite
10 Assault Termies
Tech Marine with power sword bike and servo harness

Heavy
Ironclad with 2hk missiles
Ironclad with drop pod and locator beacon

Fast Attack
2 10man assault squads with plasma pistols sgnt has power sword and storm shield
2 land speeders with multi meltas

Lord Azaghul
10-14-2009, 09:49 AM
I don't mean this to sound rude. But I'm not really sure what you're going for here, or what army you expect to play with this.
You have 2 soft 'scoring' units - that means any objective based match places you on a down hill slope, with a very very risky uphill battle.
The speeders are very popable vs most shooting and a majority of small armies fire.
And that Termy unit it far too big to really be effective, there is plenty of ap2 in the game right now.
Its just such a small looking list at 2k.

Duke
10-14-2009, 10:17 AM
Im going to have to agree with angel here... It seems like you nerfed your troops to buff up that enormous termie squad. Maybe you could explain the overall plan with this list.

Duke

angel of the emperor
10-14-2009, 11:09 AM
The overall plan is to deploy the assault units and 1 dread on my side of the table and pop the other dread in using the pod on the opponents side. The Mof and tech marine allow the scouts to get a 2+save in the areas i would put them in. The termies would use the beacon in the pod to deep strike in on later turns on the other side of the board. The Landspeeders are just going to be used as mobile tank hunters.

I used a list simalar to this against the guard and i would probbably play them again.

angel of the emperor
10-14-2009, 11:10 AM
I appricate the criticisim I need to work on list building and any ideas help.

Chumbalaya
10-14-2009, 11:43 AM
Yep, it's rather light on Troops, anti-tank and you are heavily reliant on DS-ing Termies (never a good idea) and Assault Marines (also bad).

If you want to use Shrike, I'd recommend sticking him with the Termies so they can infiltrate and back them up with infiltrating Scouts. You can leave Pods and Assault Marines in reserve to come in as reinforcements, giving you a solid backup and you keep the Raven Guard theme.

Lord Azaghul
10-14-2009, 12:11 PM
I used a list simalar to this against the guard and i would probbably play them again.

I was afriad of that! I don't play SM but I so play against them quite a bit. I'm a guard player and I was looking at how I would go against the list vs what you could take out. Since guard aren't the best in assult, but can either cut through armour or throw so many wounds at you that you will be nickle and dimed to death, the fewer targets you have the board at one time mean the more that they can concentrate fire.

Speed is your best friend - speed then into assults.

So infiltrating (or outflanking) would probably allow you more flexability then deep Striking.

angel of the emperor
10-14-2009, 12:17 PM
Thanks that helps a lot. i am working on reworking the list and will post another soon.

EmperorEternalXIX
10-14-2009, 02:28 PM
That terminator squad can walk across the board and survive anything if you throw a couple of claws into it and play the Wound Allocation game. I do it all the time with a unit of 7 terminators. Having 10 isn't bad, despite what people here are saying; I have a friend who won a tournament mostly BECAUSE he took a ten man squad like that. However, the others are right, your scoring units are very light and it seems like the rest of the army would be trying to be far away. Winning objective games will be tough; your goal would have to be to contest all the other objectives will your men hold one or two that you can infiltrate onto. Very tough to use.

Lord Azaghul
10-14-2009, 02:50 PM
That terminator squad can walk across the board and survive anything if you throw a couple of claws into it and play the Wound Allocation game. I do it all the time with a unit of 7 terminators. Having 10 isn't bad, despite what people here are saying; I .

I was thinking of things along the line of:
melta gun S8 ap 1 = instant death
lascannon S9 ap2 = instant death
Demolisher Cannon S 10 Ap2 = instand death
Even the Standard battle cannons and basilsk gun all cause instant death. If 7-8 wounds are inflicted, math says the termies fail one or two.

Wound allocation doesn't help much in those situations, sure against the 9 Armour saves vs the flashlights, but that's where volumn comes into play
Get those Termies into close combat!

Chumbalaya
10-14-2009, 03:27 PM
Walking assault Terminators is suicide. TH/SS fellas can stand up to AP2 and power weapons, but high RoF weapons like templates, basic weaponry and multi-shots can force plenty of saves and they die like any other Terminator. Wound allocation doesn't work so well when you only have 2 groups to split wounds between and each model only has 1W.

therealjohnny5
10-15-2009, 09:59 AM
I was thinking of things along the line of:
melta gun S8 ap 1 = instant death
lascannon S9 ap2 = instant death
Demolisher Cannon S 10 Ap2 = instand death
Even the Standard battle cannons and basilsk gun all cause instant death. If 7-8 wounds are inflicted, math says the termies fail one or two.

Wound allocation doesn't help much in those situations, sure against the 9 Armour saves vs the flashlights, but that's where volumn comes into play
Get those Termies into close combat!

Don't forget the termies have invul saves...however, as a relatively experienced RG player, your few units are easy targets for any army with multiple shots. I commonly play against Tau and with those number units they can concentrate fire. I've had a 10 Termie squad with Librarian go down to simply mass number of shots. I've had great success with bunkered in Sniper scouts, telion when combined with Camo and the Techmarine cover bump. Usually my opponents will just leave them alone, bc it's so difficult to get them out.

I'd recommend maybe taking a thunderfire cannon instead, you get 4 blast template anti infantry for your guard and horde players plus the techmarine and extra cover bonus.

Duke
10-15-2009, 11:27 AM
Some things to think about dropping:

Ironclad #2
3 terminators
Techmarine on bike

I would look at adding a 'reach out and touch you element.'
- Thunderfirecannon with techmarine.
- MM attack bikes
- TL Las pred with no sponsons.

just a few thoughts, granted I don't have my dex in front of me so my points costs are a little off.

Duke