PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News! Rick Priestley's new science fiction game!

Toyz n the Hood
12-17-2012, 01:46 PM
It looks like Rick Priestley's been busy since leaving GW. Details are just coming out about his new science fiction game - Beyond the Gates of Antares and his new company Dark Space Corps.

It's going to start with a Kickstarter in the new year and supporters will be involved in the development of the new universe.

Take a look at http://www.darkspacecorp.com/

And there's an article on my blog too: - http://toyznthehood.com/388/beyond-the-gates-of-antares/

It looks like 2013 is going to be an exciting year!

wittdooley
12-17-2012, 02:40 PM
Be more excited on Jan 1 when we have a better sense of what some of the models will look like.

eldargal
12-17-2012, 11:20 PM
Well the models are being sculpted by Kev White (Hasslefree) and Bob Naismithc (designed the first Space Marines), so they ought to be good. Going to keep an eye on this with interest.

Psychosplodge
12-18-2012, 05:12 AM
Are we looking at skirmish level like necromunda or 2nd edition?
Or mass sweeping battles?

The real time element giving in game rewards and weapons and tech seems a potentially system breaking idea...

Gotthammer
12-18-2012, 11:00 AM
The real time element giving in game rewards and weapons and tech seems a potentially system breaking idea...

Yeah... really not feeling that concept, or crowdsourcing the background as it won't be cohesive. But given Priestly did make 40k that's probably not a high priority ;)
But the idea of "tell us what army is crushing everyone and we'll give them more stuff" just sounds like an immediately bad one. Of course it could be used to rectify weak armies by them pulling out new weapons to counter their defeat.

the models are being sculpted by Kev White (Hasslefree) and Bob Naismith (designed the first Space Marines), so they ought to be hunched over potato head men or very curvy women

:p

Still looking forward to seeing the minis, though I seriously doubt I'll back the kickstarter from the game and universe (or lack of) pitch as stands.

Pendragon38
12-19-2012, 05:23 PM
Ha. love it, He brought back the stone men and golden men from a back story of how the emperor came to be from earth to a galaxy of 40k.
Perry

eldargal
01-01-2013, 01:50 AM
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2037958218/beyond-the-gates-of-antares

Kickstarter is up. £300k starter goal which is ambitious to say the least. However free shipping for the UK and US and only £2 for postage elsewhere is very reasonable, and the main pledge levels are only £65 and £125.

Toyz n the Hood
01-01-2013, 03:27 PM
I've got the latest press release here: -

Beyond the Gates of Antares Kickstarter is Live!
Ever wanted to help design and create a new science fiction wargame universe with Rick Priestley? Well now you can.

We’ve had a fantastic response to the Kickstarter going live at the stroke of midnight on new years eve and the limited offer pledge reward tiers are going quickly!

Beyond the Gates of Antares is a brand new science fiction wargame universe from Rick Priestley - the creator of the Warhammer 40,000 game universe - and YOU!

We’re creating an entirely original setting for a new and original game – a new idea for new times.

GoA is a game that takes science-fiction wargaming forward, with a fresh and unsettling vision of a future where mankind has spread amongst the stars… and changed. Changed into a species so much more than human… and so much less!

Unlike some of the other Kickstarter projects that have done most of the work before hand, we’re on Kickstarter so that we can see if you are interested in not only backing us to fund the project but also if you’re interested in helping us develop the game rules, artwork, miniature range, tactical abilities, scenery, vehicles and everything else. We already know much of the initial design and we want to work with a unique set of enthusiasts with the vision to fund it and help us make it the best wargame experience that exists

Simply put: we NEED you!

Game Features

· Fluid Combat Status – units act and react according to their combat status.

· Real-time Dynamic Gaming Universe – build and benefit from the evolution of the game background as you play.

· Backer Development Program – backers can participate in the development and creation of the game rules, universe and campaigns.

· Decimal Mechanics - based on D10 and D100′s allowing the same stats to be used for battle games, skirmishes and role-playing games as we expand the scope of our game for years to come.

Want to know more?
Head over to our website for more detail on the universe, the current known species list, faction information and technology of the universe. We’ll be releasing more information during our Kickstarter campaign, so why don’t you Get Involved by joining our forums and becoming one of the Honoured Founders of the Antarean gaming universe.

Help us create the world’s first Real Time Dynamic Gaming Universe – with a constantly evolving back-story driven by real player participation and featuring the most successful players as actual world characters

Kickstarter Exclusive Miniature – Hansa Nairobi is only available if you back the project on Kickstarter.

EndTransmission
01-08-2013, 03:18 PM
I thought I'd come over and give you some more teasers and information about Gates of Antares. As has been noted, the Kickstarter has gone live and is ticking over well, with the first in a series of video Q&A sessions with Rick due to be posted later this week covering a series of questions raised by members of the GoA community on the forums: http://www.darkspacecorp.com/forum.

The Kickstarter and website include a number of pieces of concept art that show the beginning of Rick's vision for the GoA universe. Kev White has started to sculpt the Kickstarter exclusive miniature, Hansa. Future Kickstarter updates will show progress throughout the entire sculpting process.
http://www.darkspacecorp.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Phase_1_sculpt.png

Tepogue
01-09-2013, 10:03 PM
Are we looking at skirmish level like necromunda or 2nd edition?
Or mass sweeping battles?

The game is based on a d10/d100 system allowing for scalability. Rick has said basically anywhere from RPG to skirmish(main focus) to multiple company combat built in.

And the game rewards may sound game breaking, but head over to the GoA forums, Rick has posted some fascinating stuff on game design and what has to be done to control the game.

Levitas
01-10-2013, 12:07 PM
I'm definitely intrigued. But want to see more before I invest. In my opinion the magic has left GW and 40k, possibly with these guys, so interested to see where it goes. Some brave concepts for sure.

scadugenga
01-12-2013, 10:51 AM
I'm in exactly the same place. It almost seems like he's wanting the kick starter before he's got more than a semi-fleshed out idea.

Banking on rep rather than solid product does not seem like a good way to start a project like this

EndTransmission
01-13-2013, 07:24 AM
I'm in exactly the same place. It almost seems like he's wanting the kick starter before he's got more than a semi-fleshed out idea.

Banking on rep rather than solid product does not seem like a good way to start a project like this

In response to this, here's a post from Rik, one of the guys involved in the project

Hi everyone - just posted this on dakka, so I thought I'd post it here too

We know we're doing something a little different from the other table top guys, and hats off to them for wisely using Kickstarter in a way that's beneficial to them. Kickstarter can be utilised in many different ways, and one of the ways is to get new ideas off the ground that wouldn't normally get the chance, which is what our kickstarter is all about.

We know that not everyone will buy in or even like the idea, but we're on KS so that we can find out. We put a long time frame on our KS so that we could adapt if we needed to and of course, because we're asking for so much money. The 300k is the minimum required to create a game (from where we are) with a decent enough miniature range which is of great quality - we ran the numbers a billion times to make sure. We thought about doing it the 20k route, but that would have meant that we couldn't have legally gone onto KS and offered the whole range of rewards that we have, which would have reduced us to simply offering the book until we got there and then only offering a couple of miniatures per stretch, all of which, we thought, would completely hamper our ability to hit the 300k we actually needed to make the game. So we put the min at 300 so that if it does come off (and fingers crossed there!) we get to make the great game we have planned.

We would have loved to have more concepts and miniatures out there, but we just didn't have the money in order to pay for that. All of the people involved have worked the last 5 months without getting paid - and I'm not complaining here, I'm happy to bet my life on things I believe in - so regardless of how much time we'll applied to GoA we still wouldn't have had more things to show. So we did a deal with a very kind company who said they would lend us some money to start paying some sculptors and artists, but they wanted it launched and wanted to see how it would go first. I'm happy to say they lent us the money, so we started Kev and a number of others off in order to respond to the feedback we've been having and hopefully gather some more pace on KS. It's not much money, but if we use it wisely it's hopefully enough to cover some of the main concerns and get us funded.

We get lots of comments saying we should just put more concepts out, and we do have the option of rushing things out, but to be honest, we're not really into that. We don't think you'll respond well to us doing that anyway, so we're trying to make sure that we do it right, which unfortunately just takes a little time. We do have things in the pipe now that we hope will impress and have some great updates coming through that will show you what we've been up to and give everyone the chance to play the pre-alpha game (by the end of next week if all goes to plan!) as we know that’s a big concern to some people too.

Ultimately we're in your hands, if you decide you'd like to be part of GoA then thank you, we truly appreciate your support. If not, no worries, thanks for reading this anyway, please remember that we're just a small company right now, we're only human and we're trying our hardest to make this successful.

Rik

The [url=http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2037958218/beyond-the-gates-of-antares/posts]Kickstarter blog[/url also now has a couple of gameplay videos up on it as well as further progress on the Hansa model from Kev. I'd suggest keeping an eye on the updates as there's some great stuff coming through at the moment.

Asymmetrical Xeno
02-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Doesnt seem to be looking too good for this KS, with 26 days to go it's only made 1 third so far. I'd really like to support this game, but I'm more a miniatures/painting kinda guy so I don't really care much about the rules-side and just want to see the models. I hope it suceeds, but im not sure at this point if it will (I'd like to be wrong!), if in the case it doesnt work out, I hope DSC have a backup plan?

odinsgrandson
02-06-2013, 10:01 AM
Most of the kickstarters that I've seen have gotten half of their funding in the last three days, which really means that it needs to make around half of what it has made in the rest of the time before that ending ramp up.

However, I do think that it is a pretty ambitious kickstarter goal, and while I hope it makes it, I'm not totally sure it will. Most of the kickstarters that I've watched had much smaller goals that they made quickly, and then went on to give out huge bundles of minis.

Phototoxin
02-06-2013, 10:09 AM
I'm not too sold on this - it seems similar to infinity, and there doesn't seem to be enough to make it special enough.

Psychosplodge
02-06-2013, 10:22 AM
I do like the look of the models and the concept art.

Cosmic_Seth
02-08-2013, 05:33 PM
Here is some new info:
http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a629/Seth_Auldridge/Boromite-Overseer-Part-4_zps17774763.png

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a629/Seth_Auldridge/Freeborn_zpsb194bc80.png

MajorMcNicol
02-09-2013, 10:43 AM
I pledged to this kickstarter, but I, too, am worried it might not get funded... It does seem like a pretty big goal (~$475K) to start with.
I don't think they'll give up on the project without a kickstarter funding base, but that's just a guess.

Asymmetrical Xeno
02-09-2013, 12:04 PM
It's really not looking too good is it? It's got 19 days to go now and it's been hovering around the 101k for about 3 or 4 days now (I think it did reach 102k for a short while) but I've been noticing the comments sections seem to have people saying they've cancelled pledged/downgraded or entirely lost interest. It's got 3 weeks to make roughly 200k, I'm not sure that's a realistic goal. I sincerely hope Rick's got a backup plan as it might seriously need one at this point.

scadugenga
02-09-2013, 01:32 PM
I haven't watched many of the new videos, but I'm still on the "I'll wait" portion of the fence. Rick looks like he has an idea of what he wants to do...but every other successful kick starter has more done up front. There are no finished minis products shown, no concrete rules available to play test.

Frankly, Alessio's Wild West Exodus kick starter is looking much more viable, if a different genre.

That, and "Beyond the Gates of Antares" is a horrible title. Not catchy at all.

Asymmetrical Xeno
02-09-2013, 03:12 PM
Alessio's Wild West Exodus kick starter is looking much more viable, if a different genre.

Wow, thanks for pointing that one out (seem to of missed it) looks great, and plastic too..

Gotthammer
02-12-2013, 06:59 AM
Looks like this one is done - they've lost over a thousand pounds in the last two days so I don't think there's much chance of a last minute save, especially with THON launching soon.

Psychosplodge
02-12-2013, 07:10 AM
It looked more promising as the announcements rolled in, but personally it's the real time stuff that put me off.

Gotthammer
02-13-2013, 11:34 AM

Gotthammer
02-13-2013, 11:34 AM
It's dead, Jim (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2037958218/beyond-the-gates-of-antares/posts/405014).

After much consideration we have decided to withdraw our project from Kickstarter.

We’d like to thank you all for believing in us and backing us, GoA will still become a reality but through different means.

We will take the next month to reassess our plans, during this time you will still see us on the forums and we will continue to post updates to our website. Once we have a plan set we will let you all know what it is so that we can continue to build GoA together.

There are a lot of positives to take from this journey and we certainly don’t think of this as a failure, more a change in plans with actual direct feedback from the market, which should help us greatly in the future. One of the best things we’ve done is you guys. We managed to develop a thriving community in a very short time, which is bursting with ideas and support for the project and for that we thank you and we will continue to want and need your help in the future.

There are too many people to thank, but we’d like to take the opportunity to give special thanks to these guys (in no order!): Melcavuk, Krazus, Prototheca, Endtransmission, Karl Pedder, Gylan Hunter, Michael Musson, John Wigley, Des Hanley, Karol Rudyk, Bruno Lavallee, Angelika Rasmus, Andy Gibson (brandnewbadidea), Golem Painting Studios, James Sherriff, Tim Prow, Kev White, Wojtek Fils, Bob Naismith, Andrew Chesney, Paul Sawyer

We’ll talk to you all very soon

Thank you!

Rick, Rik, John and Co

Phototoxin
02-13-2013, 02:39 PM
Not surprising, as I said it seems a bit 'vague', no clear direction, wants to be able to do everything and ultimately mechanics seem similar to infinity with reactions and the like