PDA

View Full Version : Marine 2k Vulkan (semi competitive)

redrio
10-16-2009, 04:04 PM
Right, been working on this for a week or two... I don't play much though, so comments from regular gamers welcome.

The list is meant to be "sorta hobby, sorta gamey" - they're a bunch of dudes cut off from the chapter and making a last stand. Leaving the tanks at home was a conscious and delibarate mistake, as was not picking 20 odd TH/SS termies to accompany Vulkan.

HQ
1. Vulkan He'stan - 190pts
2. Captain w/ TH & SS - 145pts

ELITES
1. 5 x TH/SS Termies - 200pts

TROOPS
1. 10 Man Tac Sqd w/Melta, Multi Melta, Power Fist & Combi Melta - 210pts
2. 10 Man Tac Sqd w/Flamer, Multi Melta, Power Fist & Storm Bolter - 200pts
3. 10 Man Tac Sqd w/Flamer, Hvy Bolter, Power Fist & Combi Plasma - 205pts

FAST ATTACK
1. 5 Man Assault Sqd; Sgt has TH - 130pts
2. 5 Man Assault Sqd as above - 130pts

HEAVY SUPPORT
1. 10 Man Devastator Sqd w/ 4x Lascannon, Sgt has Power Sword - 325pts
2. 10 Man Devastator Sqd w/ 2x Hvy Bolter, 2x Plasma Cannon, Sgt has Power Sword - 265pts

Totals = 2000pts, 30 scoring, 10 (or 15) KP

NOTE:
My veteran sgts were just made up with weapons I wanted to paint rather than for points or purpose, but obviously they have to be WYSIWYG so that's why I've flushed away points on power swords and combi weapons etc.

THE PLAN.......
My aim was to get as many boots on the ground as possible (67 marines) and squeeze in some master crafted Thunder hammers (8) as well as twin linked flamers/melta. By not having anything with an armour value, I hope to negate the usefulness of any anti tank weapons brought by the enemy.

Tactics will be castling up und pounding the enemy at long range then counter attacking with termies and jump squads and making late dashes for objectives. In non KP games, squads will split up and send out speed bump 5 man units to delay anything scary coming to assault my gun line.

all feedback welcome folks

Chumbalaya
10-16-2009, 06:58 PM
Not enough firepower at range, slow assault troops, and not enough armor. Armor is actually good in 5th, so feel free to load up.

Devastators don't work out since they're so overcosted, have no mobility, and lascannons really aren't what they used to be.

2 Termie units in LRCs backed by Vulkan, Tac Squads, MM/HF Dreads and Speeders and HB/AC Preds would be a solid pick.

redrio
10-17-2009, 10:38 AM
Yeah especially land raiders are excellent now, but the point of this particular list was to only have men with no armoured support. The idea I was runiing with in my head was that they are the battered remnants of a stranded battle company just trying to survive... [I suppose it's sort of a hobby list then?] I would have got more into that theme if under strength squads were any use. You're right though, devs are cripplingly expensive.

The complete collection has about 25 tanks in it (a squad each of preds, whirlwinds, vindis, 4 LRs and enough rhinos to mount the whole company then some odds like RBs and ba'al preds) and lots of pods, but I wanted an all infantry army to fit in one old fashioned 90s GW case for ease of transport. Plus the tried and tested terminator land laider rush is great for just winning then gloating but it gets tired fast in a small gaming circle...

DarkLink
10-17-2009, 11:07 AM
Yeah, no tanks is a tough theme to work with. Does that include Dreadnoughts?

It'll be very, very hard to use those flamers. Flamers and footsloggers don't mix well, unless your opponent is really bad at judging distance.

As expensive as lascannon Devestators are, you kinda need them. The only other real long range AT is mounted on your vehicles. At least with the Space Wolves codex, GW finally realized that no one takes Devestators because all their weapons are over-priced, and made them cheaper. Even then, though, 25pts per lascannon is still a little cheap.

redrio
10-17-2009, 11:40 AM
no dreds, hell not even a speeder! :( I do love my tanks, but they don't fit into the tiny case that slides in my drawer at work....

I've now played twice today with the list and folk just seem to say "oh no, 70 marines...." then either get scared or get stuck into them. Won 1, lost 1. Ironically, the only AV14 I met got popped on turn 1, even though lack of AT firepower is the glaring weakness of the army....

The space wolf codex is great, but as my guys are painted as dark angels, it's enough of a hardship getting people to realise I use the vanilla Sm book, so I've no chance of proxying a wolf list. It's a sad day....