PDA

View Full Version : 1850pts Marines: Advice Needed

Schultzhoffen
10-16-2009, 05:58 PM
Hi

I'm designing a list for the first time in several years and I need advice. The aim is mainly for friendly play but with the ability to be semi competative at a Tourney or two. Note: I don't really want to change lists around. The people I play with have fairly hard armies (Plague Marines, Orks, IG, Eldar).

HQ

Chaplain: Melta Bombs (he goes with the Terminators).

TROOPS

x10 Tac: Combi Melta, Melta Gun, Multi Melta, Rhino
x10 Tac: Combi Melta, Plasma Gun, Multi Melta, Rhino

ELITES

x7 Assault Terminators (x5 T/SS, x2 LCs)
Land Raider Crusader with Multi Melta

x9 Sternguard: Power Fist, x2 Heavy Flamers, x2 Combi Meltas, Rhino

Ironclad Dreadnought, Heavy Flamer, Drop pod

FAST ATTACK

Land Speeder: Multi Melta/Heavy Flamer
Land Speeder: Multi Melta/Heavy Flamer

HEAVY

Vindicator: Extra Armour.

I realise I only have 2 Troop Choices. The idea is that it won't matter in Kill Point Missions. For Capture and Control I'll attempt to hold my own and contest the other and for loot I'll try to hold 1-2 and contest the others.

The IClad drops in to disrupt while LRC and Vindie (also a distraction) storm forwards, as do the Sternguard (Heavy Flamer Drive By V Orks?). Land Speeders Deep Strike to tackle Vehicles. Tac Squads stay the hell out of trouble if they can.

Basically, I want to get in the enemy's face ASAP and control the board, forcing him to react.

I figure a Cheap HQ with rerolls in assault is all I need (worth more than any damage he could do by himself).

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Chumbalaya
10-16-2009, 07:01 PM
It looks good, all you're missing is some long range firepower to help threaten vehicles early. Predators with AC/HB or Typhoons are ideal for this role.

I'd be wary of including a Vindicator in an army based on rushing units in combat or short ranged firefights. One bad scatter will hurt.

Sternies and Termies is a bit pricey too.

redrio
10-16-2009, 07:16 PM
I've found sternguard to be a luxury I can't afford in most games... Sure, now and then they'll kill 20 orks a turn between hellfire ammo and hvy flamers, but they're too pricey to carry in a game if they don't perform.

First thing I would do is drop them and the vindicator for a redeemer and more TH/SS terminators (you should have points for a redeemer w/ extra armour and 4 guys so take one from the other sqd to have a 6 and a 5 man unit) - that should fit your "get in their face early" gameplan and also gives you severe anti infantry weaponry on a survivable chassis.

After all, the only thing better than a land raider is............ 2 land raiders! lol

ChrisW
10-16-2009, 09:54 PM
After all, the only thing better than a land raider is............ 2 land raiders! lol

well you can fit six in a army but the points are wayy too extreme.:D

your drop-poding a dred, why not drop-pod the entire force? (stermguard and the tacticals) [sorry looks like you answered that one for vs orks, but drop-pods are impromptu weapon emplacements with the upgraded deathwind missile system]

everyone likes the big splat plate from the vindi, but i find it to be short on range or avoided until destroyed, have you considered a pred with tl las turret and hb sponsons? little overkill on some infantry (well at least one plague marine should drop, hb are more for the horde types...) but gives a decent chance for an across the board tank kill.

just a couple ideas that poped up

Schultzhoffen
10-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the responses.

RE: x2 LRaiders - I really don't want to buy another LR or more Terminators (otherwise this could work).
RE: Vindicator - This is a very useful psychological tool and also to draw fire from the LRC. If it kills anything that will be a bonus but could work wonders v Orks or Plague Marines

However, what about dropping a Terminator, x2 Sternguard and adding a Land Speeder Typhoon? This gives a fairly long range Str 8 weapon or useful anti tank.

Revised List:

HQ: Same
TROOPS: Same
ELITES: x6 Assault Terminators (LRC with MM)
x1 Ironclad: HFlamer, Drop Pod
x7 Sternguard: Power Fist, x2 HFlamers, x2 Cmeltas, Rhino.
FAST: x2 LSpeeders: HF/MM
x1 LS Typhoon
HEAVY: Same

Thoughts?

Ming
10-19-2009, 09:16 PM
Trade the chaplain for a librarian with Null and smite...

DarkLink
10-19-2009, 10:26 PM
I like your idea of getting the LS Typhoon in there. It will probably help you more than one more Terminator and two Sternguard.

Otherwise, I agree that the list looks solid. Have fun with it.

wolflold
10-23-2009, 07:04 AM
Take only 6 sternguard in an razorback. Take 5 Assault termies + chaplain in a LR Reedemer (i find this combo very scary and it works like a charm). Maybe an Dreadnought with lascannon for extra (moving) long ranged fire power.

Pi666
10-23-2009, 07:31 AM
I'd change the sternguard for vanguard w jump packs hold in reserve in order to use heoric intervention, and buy a locator beacon for the ironclad pod. NAd i'd change the 3 speeders for 2 storm speeders and scouts in reserve for quick objective taking.

SlavesToDarkness
10-23-2009, 09:51 AM
Anybody else think the Multimeltas on the tactical squads are going to be useless? Lascannons would be a better choice.

Chumbalaya
10-23-2009, 01:01 PM
Multi-meltas are the superior pick. Lascannons don't have the oomph to nail vehicles consistently. With a MM your Tac Squads become a legitimate threat to any vehicle plus infantry with their flamer. Roll up in your Rhino bunkers and dare the enemy to bring any vehicles within your 24" death bubble.

Vanguard are hilariously terrible, never take them. On second thought, without jump packs they can be relatively cheap assault troops, just don't load them up.

10-23-2009, 01:42 PM
Anybody else think the Multimeltas on the tactical squads are going to be useless? Lascannons would be a better choice.

Actually this is wrong. There's the movement restriction (same for both), the tacticals will be mostly in midfield claiming objectives so the LC's range is irrelevant, most importantly the MM is much, much better at anti-tank than the LC.

Earthen
11-04-2009, 04:16 PM
Id say trade the sternguard for another ironclad, mg/hvy flamer, pod, then give one of the tacs a pod and use them for reserve... they wont be needed in the first few turns anyway.

Youll have a hefty amount of points left over, drop the vindie (or buy another) and pick up some MM/ HVY flmr speeders or MM ABs, run in groups of 2. Could probably squeeze in 2 dakka preds.

Duke
11-05-2009, 12:30 PM
Actually this is wrong. There's the movement restriction (same for both), the tacticals will be mostly in midfield claiming objectives so the LC's range is irrelevant, most importantly the MM is much, much better at anti-tank than the LC.

I don't know though, I have had great success with combat squading a Lascannon and using its range to punch light tanks and trasports.

Duke

RexScarlet
11-05-2009, 04:45 PM
If you take a Chaplain, take Cassius, period. (unless you are going on the cheap)

As for a Multi-Melta, I have NEVER moved any of my vehicles within range of one, ever in 20 years.

The Vanguard Veterans are a cost sink, and a "all or nothing" ploy (like a Cavalry Charge), so you may have to use a Special Character (his rules) in combination, in order to guarantee they work.

I love Terminators, but with 5th ed, they always seem to come-up short for me in games.

Combinations will help you.

example;

Khan on foot (gives Scout/flank to Transport vehicles) 1 model
Cassius 1 model
Seven man Terminator Assault Squad mounted in a Crusader (bought as a transport)=14 models

All in Crusader (16 model count)

Flanks, all get out, LRC shoots all its weapons, all assault with frag, Chaplain rules, Khan rules... could be ugly, or could utterly fail...