180p

Hellhound w/ hull heavy bolter – 130p

Basilisk – 125p

Leman Russ Demolisher
Lascannon
Multi-melta sponsons
210p

Army total 1500 points

Tactics: Castle formation w/ Bassie, missile launchers, HQ. Squad "Alpha" to cover in front. HQ to give orders, Lord Commie to ensure morale and orders get through. Fire-discipline at scariest target!

Hellhound, Demo and Chimera w/ flamers in opponents face w/ squad "Bravo" to shield assaults. Vets and Storm Troopers in reserve. Storm Troopers take out armour, vets go for objective, take out armor if needed.

Now, I am n00b at this and need gaming input (have a tourney coming up...). All comments are appreciated, both on list and tactics!

Be well! :)

DoctorEvil
10-17-2009, 07:26 AM
OK, I'm not a tournament expert, but here's my opinion on the list.....

I like the Demolisher & Hellhound. There solid picks. Sponsons on the Demolisher....You'll be told to drop them. They're expensive and not as effetive if the tank needs to move. But if you're plan is to keep the tank static, then I don't see the harm. Hellhound with Hvy Bolter is my standard load-out, but adding a Multi-Melta instead is a very attractive option as it then turns the HH into a possible anti-vehicle as well as anti-infantry option.

I like the Veteran Squad configurations. Most people will tell you that the Power Fists aren't worth, and they're correct. Guard lose in Assault to almost every army. Personally, I like a Power Fist or two in my army, because it just makes me sleep better at night thinking I'm kinda of a threat in Assault :)

I don't like a single Basilisk. In general a single Bassie just ends up being not terribly effective. They just seem to be more of a threat when there are more of them. I'd either take a 2nd one or drop it.

Missile Launching HWS....I like the Missile Launchers, I don't like them in HWS. The problem is I like my HWS to be focused, and the ML is a general purpose weapon that can be used for anti-infantry or anti-vehicle, but doesn't excel in either role and cost more than options that do excel in those roles. I think they work well in line Infantry Squad. I prefer HWS to go either Hvy Bolter, AC, or LC.

In general, I'd take a hard look as adding some Autocannons in place on the MLs. They're less expensive and fill the anti-light vehicle role well.

I'd look at dropping the Heavy Stubbers from the Chimera also. I like keeping my Chimeras as cheap as possible.

Just my initial thoughts.....in general it looks like a good list.

Spartan
10-17-2009, 03:36 PM
Thanks!

Chumbalaya
10-18-2009, 12:17 PM
DoctorEvil covered it pretty well.

I would avoid sponsons on your Demolisher. You can't fire both on the move and they have a relatively short range to be static with. BS3 never helps either. I'd just go sponsonless with a hull heavy flamer. Saves a ton of points and keeps the Demo cheap and mobile. Drop the Bassie and you can pick up a second one.

MM on the Hellhound is a good call. It's cheap and gives it a more flexible role.

Autocannons > Missile Launchers every time. Infantry squads should either heavy heavy weapons or blob together with meltas and a commissar to make a super tarpit.

Don't bother with HtH weapons, you'll lose combat anyway.

Dropping a bunch of stuff for 2 Demos and 2 Hellhounds would give you a lot more flexibility with your vehicles and you can probably fit in more infantry too.

Spartan
10-22-2009, 01:53 PM
Thank you for posting guys! I will take a good look at it and try some of the suggestions in practice!

What`s your preference in dealing with AV 13/ 14 btw? LCs? My idea was to use Storm Troopers and Vet`s for this, but it takes some time for them to deploy... LCs also tend to be bullet-magnets, taking them out of the game before they get to do much...

:)

Chumbalaya
10-22-2009, 02:34 PM
Meltas and S10 ordnance are your best bets, lascannons just don't have the oomph to nail heavy armor consistently. The exception would be Vendettas, since they get so many twin-linked and cheap.

Lord Azaghul
10-22-2009, 03:46 PM
Meltas and S10 ordnance are your best bets, lascannons just don't have the oomph to nail heavy armor consistently. The exception would be Vendettas, since they get so many twin-linked and cheap.

Pretty much agreed here. Lasguns are good on paper, but I rarely have them work for me, even in HW squads. The often provide a more psycological threat then a real one, and hw teams are often targeted early in the game.