PDA

View Full Version : Skaven Warlord on Bonebreaker in Unit LOS?

Tepogue
12-27-2012, 10:48 PM
Ok, a Skaven Warlord is mounted on a Bonebreaker. Bonebreaker is on 40x40mm base.

If I put him in a clan rat unit. The bonebreaker perfectly displaces 4 clan rats.

So based on this. Assuming the clan rat unit stays above 5 models.

The warlord cannot be targetted by normal shooting attacks.

and against template weapons he should get Look Out Sir.

I've been over the rule book, I just pulled up the FAQ's and did a search, but could not find anything countering the above, BUT when I look on the various forums. I see people saying "nothing in the skaven army can give a bone breaker Look Out Sir"

Where is this from? I must be blind or something, I cannot find where in either the rulebook or a FAQ where this is denied.

Dominic
12-28-2012, 04:47 AM
You're only allowed a look out sir roll if you are in a unit with 5 or more models of the same troop type as the character; the bonebreaker is a monstrous beast, and when ridden becomes monstrous cavalry (so the Warlord now has the troop type monstrous cavalry).

This means that when in a unit of clan rats (infantry) the bonebreaker/warlord will not be able to get a look out sir save.

And because there aren't any monstrous cavalry units in the skaven army book, the bonebreaker/warlord will never be able to get a look out sir save as it will never be in a unit of 5 or more monstrous cavalry (although you could theoretically have a unit of character riding monstrous beasts, but you get the point)

Hope that helps!

Chronowraith
12-28-2012, 04:52 AM
Page 99, third paragraph is a start - "cannot hit a character in a combined unit if there are five or more rank and file models of the same troop type"

A Warlord on a Bonebreaker is monstrous cavalry and Skaven have no monstrous cavalry... thus he can always be targeted separately.

Pagge 99, 6th paragraph covers Look Out, Sir! with essentially the same clip -"and he is of the same troop type"

It's disappointing I know, but those are the rules. I will use the bonebreaker either with rat ogres or as a separate flanking unit by itself but sticking it in clanrats calls too much attention to him.

Houghten
12-31-2012, 08:07 AM
There is an ancient secret known only to the most cunning Skaven Warlords, a secret that originated from the Great Horned Rat himself, that will let you ride a mount while having a Look Out, Sir! roll.

If you will come very close, I will whisper this secret to you.

USE A WAR-LITTER, SQUEAK-SQUEAKING FOOL! *backstab while you're close*

Tepogue
12-31-2012, 11:57 AM
There is an ancient secret known only to the most cunning Skaven Warlords, a secret that originated from the Great Horned Rat himself, that will let you ride a mount while having a Look Out, Sir! roll.

If you will come very close, I will whisper this secret to you.

USE A WAR-LITTER, SQUEAK-SQUEAKING FOOL! *backstab while you're close*

/sigh thanks,

and

A) I've already converted the model

B) Per the new FAQ I get to use the Bonebreakers T5 instead of the warlords T4, small difference but it is a nice one

C) +1 wound helps him be a Fellblade delivery system

Chronowraith
12-31-2012, 01:06 PM
Warlord on a bonebreaker has his uses. I use one in about 50% of my games and I love him. Honestly? He works best in a unit of rat ogres with a warlock augmented weapon and the armor of Destiny (and a shield). He can certainly be picked out of the rat ogres just like he was in a unit of clanrats but with a 3+ armor save, 4+ ward, T5 with that many wounds he is survivable enough and with a total of 10 S5 attacks plus a stomp attack he can cause an absurd amount of damage.

He works best in a storm banner army to ensure that enemy war machines don't rip his face off and usually having Sqweek Gnawtooth on the rat ogres is a good idea as well... makes for a very expensive unit but one that can cause quite a bit of damage overall.

Alex001
04-14-2013, 04:47 AM
be picked out of any unit he joins and won't ever get a Look Out Sir-roll.

Alex001
04-14-2013, 04:51 AM
I am painting up some new skaven for a campaign, using the Island of Blood set .