PDA

View Full Version : The best lore of magic

j-orge-287
10-18-2009, 06:24 AM
Which lore of magic is best? by this I mean the eight lores and not army specific magic.

Fire-Good selection of magic missiles and aggresive 'unit killers'. Flaming sword of Rhuin is a great spell for mages as it greatly augments wizards (more often than not) lacking combat skills. But no defensive magic makes it a good choice for armies like: Warriors of Chaos and Brettonia who tend to have good armour saves. 7/10

Metal-Good against armies with a lot of armour as this lore has two spells which are lethal to units with a high armour save. Three spells that give disadvantages to your opponent for a few turns make this lore quite defensive. Not so good against armies like elves who don't have lots of armour and war machines. 7/10

Shadow-Good augmentation spells and reasonable magic missiles. But requires a cunning mind to master effectively. 6/10

Beasts-Easy to cast, augmentation spells with a decent magic missile available. Best used with cavalry armies to make full use of The Wolf Hunts spell. 5/10

Heavens-Three excellent aggressive spells and three great defensive spells that can give enemies a nasty surprise in combat. 9/10

Light-Best against the undead and daemons with two magic missiles that are augmented by hitting that type of unit. Dazzling Brightness make core undead even worse at hitting things and bloodletters find their hellblades useless if they can't hit the foe. Guardian Light, Healing Energy and Pha's Illumination are good for stopping your forces from fleeing away from the disturbing creatures of the undead and daemons and your characters can be healed then pummel the foe with little trouble. 10/10

Life-Terrain specific spells aren't particularly good and only stops shooting effectively. The good news is that these spells are easy tocast. 4/10

Death-The most aggresive and shooty lore out there. Messes with psychology well and good to kill things with. No defensive spells. 7/10

What is your opinion on the best lore of magic?

THIS THREAD IS NOW OUT OF DATE

Lord Azaghul
10-19-2009, 06:47 AM
Light: low casting values, more spells then any other that can almost always be used.

j-orge-287
10-19-2009, 12:15 PM
Yeah, always best against daemons and undead though

Jesse
11-08-2009, 10:08 PM
Depends a lot on what army you are using and what army you are playing against.

For a lvl 2 that doesn't get to choose its spells/know all spells I like- light/fire/metal/death depending on what I am playing against.

For a lvl 2 that can choose/know all spells, all of the above+ beasts

For a lvl 4, I like beasts/metal/shadow/fire

Overall I would probably say top 3 are

1. Shadow
2. Light
3.Metal

mstingray
11-16-2009, 03:12 AM
I use a slann with the disciples that give him all the spells and a free dice when casting. Personally I think that the Metal lore is great against high armoured opponents and/or armies with lots of war machines (Dwarves/Empire). I quite like fire as well as it can kill a lot of light armoured opponents really easily (goblins/skaven). I don't like heaven at all. but light is great against daemons or undead. I quite like the spell that reduces the WS of the enemy to 1, especially against chaos, or pretty much anything that uses CC to win.

j-orge-287
11-24-2009, 02:36 PM
I agree-except with the bit about lore of heavens-re-rolls as first spell choice is good against high WS etc.

Shavnir
11-26-2009, 02:51 PM
Ah lore of death let me list the ways I love thee. (Keep in mind as a Lizardmen player if I'm picking a lore I'm picking it with a slann)

Basic d6 / 2d6 damage spell? Check.
Something to upgrade nothing->fear or fear->terror? Check.
-3 Ld? Check.
One of the scariest character assassination spells in the game (doubly so if you throw a bane head on the slann)? Check.
Gigantic aura of death? Check.

When the worst spells in the lore are heavy hitters psychology wise you know its good. You just have to have a pile of dice behind it.

j-orge-287
12-05-2009, 03:52 AM
Which one is the assassination spell?

Kieranator K82
08-15-2010, 08:05 PM
THREADOMANCY!

Since the new edition rolled about, the Lore rankings have changed. Where do we rate the Lores nowadays?
Lore attributes, signature spells and the super-spells definitely modify the playing style of the Eight Lores.

I for one am looking at the Lore of Death as a good competitor in the new edition, able to generate more power dice with every wound inflicted, and packing some vicious combinations:

Example: Cast Doom and Darkness on a character/unit, followed by Spirit Leech. At-3Ld, the leeched individual will take even more damage than normal.
Example 2: Soulblight, followed by The Caress of Laniph or The Fate of Bjuna. Reduced S and T means more damage to the affected individual. Fun!

I for one am going to run an Empire Level 4 Wizard Lord with the Lore of Death, The Grey Wand and The Crimson Amulet. Chances are, I'm going to get my personal favourite, the Purple Sun of Xereus. If I misfire, I don't care too much. The wizard automatically passes his Initiative test to get out of the way of the violet orb. At + 5 to my casting roll, I don't need to risk Irresistable Force and the associated Miscast.

Why so Xereus?

KriegXXIX
08-17-2010, 01:44 PM
I have been having good success with a level 3 Shadow Wizard in this edition. I like the subtlety of the lore and really helps out my Empire win combats. Still am looking for what I want to run as the level 2 in bigger days. Fire was alright but a bit underwhelming. Life doesn't work on that low of a level (not enough spells) I think. My next outing will be either Death or Beasts.

greenstuff777
08-30-2010, 10:33 PM
I use the tetto'eko and slann and aengine and every turn try to make my opponents walk a gauntlet so far it has been affective 8-0 since getting the rulebook and reading that tetto's irresistible doesn't cause miscast :D I was wondering if tetto eko should stay in a corner alone or in a unit of skinks up close?