Ragnar Blackmane

Canis Wolfborn, 2 Wolves

Wolf Priest, Plasma Pistol, Meltabombs, saga of the Warrior Born

Rune Priest, Master of the Runes

9x Grey Hunters, Power Weapon, Mark of the Wolfen, Meltagun, Wolf Standard

10x Grey Hunters, 2x Plasmagun

6x Long Fangs, 1 Plsmagun, 5 Missile Launcher

Land Raider Redeemer, Multi-Melta

Ok, so I plan the list to play like this...

Ragnar and the Wolf Priest join the 9 Hunters in the Land Raider, to charge enemy lines and get into assault as quickly as I can.

Canis charges behind the Land Raider to use it as cover before diving into combat as well, using the wolves as albative wounds.

The other 10 Grey Hunters keep at range, moving on foot to cover an objective, while the Rune Priest stays with the Long Fangs, lobbing Lightning bolts at the enemy while the fangs pick appart targets with thier missiles.

I know the list might suffer a bit against heavy armour, but in my local area we still arnt seeing many of the all armour lists... we have a lot of orks still, and I think this list should do well against those.

Kanaellars
10-18-2009, 08:15 AM
OR.... I have considered this list as well...

Wolf Priest, Plasma Pistol, saga of the Warrior Born

6x Long Fangs, 1 Plsmagun, 5 Missile Launcher

7x Wolf Guard
---- PA, Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield
---- PA, Frost Blade, Bolter
---- PA, Power Weapon, Bolter
---- PA, Power Weapon, Power Weapon
---- PA, Wolf Claw, Wolf Claw
---- PA, Space Marine Bike, Wolf Claw, Storm Shield

4x Swift Claw Bikers, Power Weapon, Attack Bike Multi-Melta

This version of the list sacrifices Ragnar and Canis and instead has a second assault unit, the Wolf Guard on Foot, as well as a fast response unit in the Swift Claw Bikers, joined by the Wolf Guard on the bike.

Kanaellars
10-18-2009, 08:45 AM
Oh, and then there is the other unit I have already painted up, but dont know if I want to use or not...

Wolf Priest, Plasma Pistol, Jump Pack

5x SkyClaws, Power Weapon, Flamer, Mark of the Wulfen

Seems a fun unit, dont know if its worth the points (these 6 guys are the same points as 6 Wolf Guard on foot... the foot guys might take longer to get there, but seem to pack a LOT more punch once they are!)

Chumbalaya
10-18-2009, 12:25 PM
Lots of points sunk into characters you don't need, Canis doesn't seem necessary if you aren't fielding any Wolves (5-15 ablative wounds >>> 2)

Plasma Pistol is a waste on anything.

Swiftclaws and Skyclaws suck, don't bother. Wolves, Speeders, and Thunderwolves are all the Fast Attack you need.

Walking GH is fine, only 10 is not. 30+ is what you need, then you may as well run a foot list.

Never give the LF Pack Leader anything, he's an ablative wound (as is an allied WG).

Needs more focus, now it's just a collection of models, not really an army. Pick a theme or particular build and run with that, build you up a balanced list and let slip the dogs of war.

Kanaellars
10-18-2009, 12:55 PM
I was thinking the same about the characters. That was the reason for the second list.

The swiftclaws were added because I wanted to give them a try, and Im not using thunderwolves because I have no models for them.

I have loads of wolves, about 12,000 points worth, so I can put together just about any list there is, just trying to work on something a bit different than my normal 6 squads of grey hunters lists... the hunters are effective, but bland.

And I quite like plasma pistols.

I find wolve packs to be a waste of points. They are find to give a character an extra wound, but a waste of points in a pack. Just my milage. Yours may vary.

Chumbalaya
10-18-2009, 03:13 PM
I dunno, 8 points for a marine that moves like cavalry is just awesome. They can tie down enemy units, keeping them from shooting or escaping your slower stuff, they can screen, and they can shield models on Thunderwolves. I don't see any reason not to use them, unless your Fast and Troops slot are full (highly unlikely).

Plasma pistol is a 1 shot plasma gun that can kill your character. If it wasn't so expensive it would be handy.

Kanaellars
10-19-2009, 04:04 AM
I dunno, 8 points for a marine that moves like cavalry is just awesome. They can tie down enemy units, keeping them from shooting or escaping your slower stuff, they can screen, and they can shield models on Thunderwolves. I don't see any reason not to use them, unless your Fast and Troops slot are full (highly unlikely).

Plasma pistol is a 1 shot plasma gun that can kill your character. If it wasn't so expensive it would be handy.

8 points?

How are you getting that?

The wolves are NOTHING like marines, and the Wolf Riders are a LOT more than 8 points?

Chumbalaya
10-19-2009, 06:08 AM
Fenrisian Wolves, check your Fast Attack slots :P

Kanaellars
10-19-2009, 06:18 AM
No... I know the wolves you are on about.... but I wouldnt say they are "a marine that moves like cavalry".

Anyway, I have been doing some thinking and I have come up with a newly revised list.

Wolf Priest, Plasma Pistol, Saga of the Warrior Born

6x Long Fangs, 1 Plasmagun, 5 Missile Launcher

5x Wolf Guard
---- PA, Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield
---- PA, Wolf Claw, Wolf Claw
---- PA, Power Fist, Bolt Pistol
---- PA, Power Weapon, Power Weapon
---- PA, Power Weapon, Bolt Pistol, Melta Bombs

Dreadnaught, Twin-Linked Lascannon

Razorback, Storm Bolter

Rhino

Some changes here. The LRR Holds 9 Hunters, the Wolf Priest, and the Wolf Guard with a power fist.

The 4 other Wolf Guard are in the Razorback. The Rune Priest is still with the Long Fangs.

I have gotten rid of the Bikers and added a Drednaught for some extra armour punching, or killing transports. He will stay near the Long Fangs, and if things go really bad can step into combat if anyone desides to assault them.

Other than that the plan is the same. The Rune Priest blasts, the LRR rushes into assault, and it is follwed up by the Razorback with the 4 wolf guard. They should be tough enough on the charge to cause some serious damage, in spite of thier small numbers.

Chumbalaya
10-19-2009, 07:19 AM
Doggies have the same statline, all that's different is 2 attacks vs 1 and 6+ armor. Tyranid players would kill for these.

List is more of the same, too many points in inefficient choices. Plasma Pistol, walking GH (fine en masse, bad for just 1 unit), WG are way over pimped and riding a Razor (can't get out and charge = get shot up), Long Fangs pack leader weaponry (doesn't need it, stay at 48"). It all rides on 1 big tank full of decent assault troops with an array of other units that don't really support it in any meaningful way. Little bit of this, little bit of that.

Kanaellars
10-19-2009, 08:58 AM
Doggies have the same statline, all that's different is 2 attacks vs 1 and 6+ armor. Tyranid players would kill for these.

List is more of the same, too many points in inefficient choices. Plasma Pistol, walking GH (fine en masse, bad for just 1 unit), WG are way over pimped and riding a Razor (can't get out and charge = get shot up), Long Fangs pack leader weaponry (doesn't need it, stay at 48"). It all rides on 1 big tank full of decent assault troops with an array of other units that don't really support it in any meaningful way. Little bit of this, little bit of that.

The GH arnt on foot, they are in a Rhino. I understand that the WG cant assault out of the Razor, but at least it gets them close, using the LRR to draw fire.

As far as the WG being "Over pimped" I have had good experiences with WG like this, they are a small unit, but do amazing damage. I normally keep them near another squad (in this case the GH) and charge them into the same melee, basically once they get there piling them in like one big squad (although I am aware that they are still treated as 2).

Stil, I will get to playtest this list on Wensday, will see how it does.

Also, to the "little of this little of that" comment... I always try to build a list that is balanced and can do more than one thing. I don't know about the people you play, but in my group, if you bring a list that can only do one thing, you will find yourself shut down every time.

You have to be a bit more than just a one trick pony, thats the reason that the list isnt just all out one single thing.

Chumbalaya
10-19-2009, 11:25 AM
Ah, missed the Rhino, that's handy. Shame it's just one. Meltas would help more than plasma, you need the tank busters.

With a tricked out unit, not only are they more expensive, but every casualty hurts. On top of that, they aren't even equipped efficiently (power sword and bolter?). A larger unit with some naked WG and a handful of combis would serve you better. Give 2-3 combat gear and the rest can soak up wounds or generate more normal attacks to force saves or kill off hordes. Plus, combi weapons give you some extra firepower the turn you hop out. Incidentally, a Rhino might serve them better so you can have more bodies inside and fire out of it if you need to stay inside for a turn.

You don't want a one-trick pony, but you don't want a clusterf@ck either. A balanced army has to be capable of handling anything, including its own setbacks, so you build in redundancies and give your units multiple roles. In your army, once the Long Fangs go down you have virtually no long range firepower, just an AV12 Dread, one of 3 armored vehicles. There's no real focus, it's just a collection of units rather than an army.

Kanaellars
10-19-2009, 01:45 PM
Been playing with a few things and have thought of something COMPLETELY different... now, this is not what I would normally ever use for Wolves... but it might be a laugh.

This army would be a "stand and shoot" army. It would only work against armies that plan to come to me... Tau would rip me up... but it should beat orks and the like, blowing holes in them while standing far back, letting them come to you...

Not sure yet, but it looks like it might be fun to try...

Njal Stormcaller

Rune Priest, Terminator

Rune Priest, Chooser of the Slain

Rune Priest

Wolf Gaurd x 4, Thunder Hammer, Frost Blade, Power Fist, Wolf Claw, Storm Shield x4

GH x 10, Plasma x2

GH x 10, Melta x2

LF x6, Missile x5

LF x6, Missile x5

Razorback, TL Lascannon

So like I said, this list stands and shoots, kindof a "Last stand" line, waiting for the enemy to charge them. The Grey Hunters each protect a unit of Long fangs, the Rune Priests all use ranged shooty powers, and the Razorback snipes heavy armour and serves as a mobile wall.

Like I said, COMPLETELY not your normal wolves.... but Im trying out many ideas.

-------------------------------------

Also Chumba, regarding my other list, I dont need a great deal of anti-armour, as the IG tank rush still hasnt really hit in my area. Orks and such and other infantry rushes are still the big thing here, so the Fangs are normally just enough to soften them before I get into melee. The dred provides the big gun just in case of a Land Raider or something.

Also, I never go all plasma or all melta, I always bring both, never know what you will need.... and the Power weapon guy is armed with a pistol, did i not mention that in there (my mistake).

And why is only 1 Rhino a shame? I have 2 units of GH, 1 in the LRR and 1 in a Rhino. Why would I need another?