PDA

View Full Version : Bike v Thunderwolves

Kanaellars
10-19-2009, 06:02 AM
Ok, so here are a couple options...

Wolf Guard, Power Armour, SM Bike, Wolf Claw, Storm Shield costs 93 pts, S 4 T 4(5) A 2 Ld 9

OR

Thunderwolf Rider, Wolf Claw, Storm Shield costs 100 pts, S5 T 5 A 4 Ld 8 (Rending)

These units are nearly identical, save the mount.... which is better?

Looking at the key stats

Attacks: Thunderwolf wins

Strength: Thunderwolf wins

Toughness: Thunderwolf wins (kindof)

Leadership: Bike wins

NOW, something else to consider. The Wolf Guard on bike can be taken in a squad of up to 10 (in a HUGE game of Apocalypse, true, but it can happen). The Tunderwolf riders can be taken in squads of 5 true, but only ONE of them could have the claw... the rest would only have normal close combat weapons (albeit with rending).

Overall, I am leaning towards the Thunderwolf riders.... but Im not sure if the bikers have thier place as well.

Also, is the differing movement between bikes and cav worth considering as well?

StarWarsDoug
10-19-2009, 07:02 AM
you are forgetting the TL bolters on the bike, cover save, and TB. At even points cost, the bike is the better bet

Chumbalaya
10-19-2009, 07:15 AM
TWolves are better. Base T5 vs. T4(5), rending, cav movement, more attacks, and overall cheaper cost. Not every TWolf needs gear, just 1 TH, 1 SS, and 1 set of melta bombs for wound allocation. They are awesome sauce.

10-19-2009, 11:55 AM
Not even a contest. Thunderwolves are ridiculously good. Cavalry charges alone make them better, but the rest of it, like Chumbalaya pointed out makes them even better. I run mine all spending with extra SS, but even cheap they're just mean.

Katie Drake
10-19-2009, 12:23 PM
Even without any upgrades a character on a Thunderwolf is by far better than one mounted on a Bike. They'll hit harder, move faster in some cases (since they're Fleet and have a 12" charge) and it takes a Strength of 10 to cause Instant Death.

toomanyarmies
10-19-2009, 12:38 PM
I'd go for the T Wolves. Dropping the SS and running them up through cover. Bikes can have a turbo boast save, but take dangerous terrain tests.

10-19-2009, 01:20 PM
character on a Thunderwolf

is only T4(5), but even so they're better than a bike.

Dropping the SS and running them up through cover

Or run them behind fenrisian wolves. With good fleet rolls you'll stay in 'cover' the whole way up the board. Since they're neither vehicles or monsterous they'll take cover from intervening models just like infantry

wolflold
10-21-2009, 01:54 AM
Well if you look at the points cost its about the same.

2 bikes = 1 thunder wolf

Bikes can TB, have TL bolters. On the charge 8 attacks at str 4, 4 attacks in normal combat, but have Ws 3.

Thunder Wolves are cavalry, less problems in difficult terrain. On the charge 6 attacks at str 5 + rending, 5 attacks in normal combat + rending, but with Ws 4.

5 bikes + wolf guard on bike with power fist = 198 pts (20 attacks on charge + 3 PF, 10 normal attacks + 2 PF)
3 Thunder Wolves 1 armed with power fist = 175 pts (12 rending attacks on charge + 5 PF, rending 10 normal attacks + 4 PF)

So i would go for the Thunder Wolves.

Ranagar
10-22-2009, 11:10 PM
If on a thunderwolf mount, a frostblade is a better option. Strength 6 with rending is painful.

wolflold
10-23-2009, 03:31 AM
Only special close combat weapons do not stack with rending. And why go for rending when you have power weapon attacks?

Earthen
11-15-2009, 06:17 PM
rending is nice to switch to when you run into armor.

BS FADE
11-15-2009, 09:16 PM
Well for some unknown reason bikes can at least go inside buildings while calvary cannot.

Earthen
11-15-2009, 10:19 PM
buildings or ruins?

they are different in gaming terms, and 99% of the time what people call buildings are actually ruins.

Earthen
11-15-2009, 10:33 PM
double post, im bad. sorry.

BS FADE
11-15-2009, 10:50 PM
Beasts and calvary are not allowed in the upper levels of ruins. I call them buildings because frankly they are things that have multiple floors and GW uses their silly city fight terrain for all their examples (product placement city fight) as opposed to showing any other alternatives.