PDA

View Full Version : 1500 Tyranids- Need help for first tourney

Tarrandus
10-19-2009, 04:41 PM
I'm gearing up for my first ever tournament on Saturday (24th). Unfortunately, my models and lists aren't very competitive. This is just a local event, so I don't expect it to be too cutthroat, but I still want to bring something that has a chance. I don't have much to work with though. This is what I have:

1 Tyrant- swappable weapons
1 Tyrant guard
1 Sniperfex
1 Broodlord
24 Genstealers
8 Warriors w/ DS/ScyTals
2 Wariros w/ BS/ ScyTals
1 Lictor
36 Termagaunts
16 Hormagaunrs
5 Ripper Bases
$60

The tournament is 1500 points, so that's pretty much everything but the hormagaunts and rippers. I do have the $60 to play with, but I don't know what I could do with it. I stuck the lictor in there to support the 3 squads of outflankers, but I could see myself dropping him and some gaunts to sneak in an elite-price carnifex. I'd have to build it and paint it in 4 days though :eek::D

Basically, I know what's decent and fun in a Tyranids list, but I don't know what's good in a tournament, especially a non nidzilla tournament list.

This is what I came up with:

HQ
Broodlord; +S, +Sv, Feeder Tendrils, Flesh Hooks
Genestealer Retinue x6; Flesh Hooks

Hive Tyrant; +S,+BS, +Sv, Shadow in the Warp- DL Devourers x2
Tyrant Gaurd

Elites
Lictor

Tyranid Warrior x5; +S, +Sv- Deathspitter/ScyTals x4, Barbed Strangler/Scything Talons x1

Tyranid Warrior x5; +S, +Sv- Deathspitter/ScyTals x4, Barbed Strangler/Scything Talons x1
Troops
Genestealers x8; Feeder Tendrils, Scuttlers

Genestealers x8; Flesh Hooks, Scuttlers

Gaunts x14; Fleshborer

Gaunts x14; Fleshborer

Heavy
Carnifex; +Sv, +BS- Barbed Strangler/Venom Cannon

Total: 1490

HQ- 399
Elities- 430
Troops- 488
Heavy- 173

DarkLink
10-19-2009, 10:28 PM
Another carnifex would probably help your list alot.

Silver
10-19-2009, 11:21 PM
if you could add those 5 rippers in somewhere, and give them leaping, they would be able to get around the field, fast, and distract your opponent.

the termagaunts should focus on the objective-taking and basically sneak around and stuff xD.

warriors are deadly with wings, their fast movement and high strength blasts make them really flexible.

hive tyrant with venom cannon, talons and wings also makes them deadly to tanks, at range and in combat. you should give it warpfield to get that 2+

only other suggestion is carapace for the stealers, just so they dont fall too easy to bolter fire.

basically, you want some really fast stuff to distract, then go in with the heavy hitters.
this list is a bit slow, and you need more ranged anti-tank

~Silver

Tarrandus
10-20-2009, 07:51 AM
Another carnifex would probably help your list alot.

Any suggestions for loadout? I could drop the Lictor and 24 points worth of gaunts, so I've got 114 points.
Should I drop more to get another sniperfex, or just go with a Dakka or Boomfex?

if you could add those 5 rippers in somewhere, and give them leaping, they would be able to get around the field, fast, and distract your opponent.

warriors are deadly with wings, their fast movement and high strength blasts make them really flexible.

hive tyrant with venom cannon, talons and wings also makes them deadly to tanks, at range and in combat. you should give it warpfield to get that 2+

only other suggestion is carapace for the stealers, just so they dont fall too easy to bolter fire.

basically, you want some really fast stuff to distract, then go in with the heavy hitters.
this list is a bit slow, and you need more ranged anti-tank

~Silver

Problem is, all that stuff costs more points. I've got to drop something if I want all the shiny upgrades. Wings are nice, but they're impractical to actually get on my models. They make my synapse a lot more vulnerable too, no hiding in area terrain or behind gaunts without severely cutting my speed. I've got outflankers if I need distraction, I don't see myself using expensive winged units, sorry.

Range Anti Tank- What more is there to get? Nids suck at it. The only way to go is volume. Would you suggets to get another sniperfex, or switch the Tyrant to a VC build?

drummerholt1234
10-20-2009, 08:10 AM

Sorry but wrong... yay for 5+ saves... Don't give warriors wings!

Ghoulio
10-20-2009, 02:02 PM
I think if you drop the lictor (which you said leaves you with 114pts) you could get a cheap carnifex. The one I always go with (and love) is armed with a Barbed Strangler and Scything talons. That weapon combo brings him to 113 pts and gives you another Str 8 pie plate that pins, and another MC that is decent in HtH.

- Things that I would change would be arming that second squad of stealers with Feeder Tendrils instead of flesh hooks. Feeder tendrils are just incredible, and in 7 games of using a stealer squad like yours I have never had an issue with assaulting units in cover

- I am also a massive fan of Without Number. I cant count how many times it has saved my bacon in games. Having those units come back on for objectives is just amazing.

- Also, whatever you do DONT arm your Hive Tyrant with a venom cannon. Currently that set up just blows. He cant kill tanks since he only glances, and he cant kill troops since he only has 3 shots. Stick with the devourers and just have him murder units of troops.

If you make those changes you should be good :)

Tarrandus
10-20-2009, 02:57 PM
I think if you drop the lictor (which you said leaves you with 114pts) you could get a cheap carnifex. The one I always go with (and love) is armed with a Barbed Strangler and Scything talons. That weapon combo brings him to 113 pts and gives you another Str 8 pie plate that pins, and another MC that is decent in HtH.

Boomfex it is. :D

- Things that I would change would be arming that second squad of stealers with Feeder Tendrils instead of flesh hooks. Feeder tendrils are just incredible, and in 7 games of using a stealer squad like yours I have never had an issue with assaulting units in cover

I figured between the first squad and the Lictor I could give them tendril coverage, but since I'm dropping the lictor I will give them tendrils.

- I am also a massive fan of Without Number. I cant count how many times it has saved my bacon in games. Having those units come back on for objectives is just amazing.

I've never had experience with WoN, but I've mostly heard it isn't worth it. I see it being useful for games with the objective in the back row though. I'll think about it.

Updated List:

HQ
Broodlord; +S, +Sv, Feeder Tendrils, Flesh Hooks
Genestealer Retinue x6; Flesh Hooks

Hive Tyrant; +S,+BS, +Sv, Shadow in the Warp- DL Devourers x2
Tyrant Gaurd
Elites

Troops

Gaunts x12; Fleshborer

Gaunts x12; Fleshborer
Heavy
Carnifex; +Sv, +BS- Barbed Strangler/Venom Cannon
Carnifex; Barbed Strangle/ Scything Talons

Total: 1499

HQ- 399
Elities- 350
Troops- 464
Heavy- 286

Grimcron
10-21-2009, 09:53 PM
I like to recommend a few changes if its still possible.

Give implant attack to the Tyrant,
Give lashwhips to your guard,
Replace sniperfex with another boomfex,
Give boomfex extended carapace and if you have left over points, +1I.
Give gaunts without number.

Do play agressively. Aim to kill everything.

All the best in your tournament.

Tarrandus
10-23-2009, 06:17 AM
Yes, changes are still possible. Today is when I plan on getting everything ready for the tourney. I picked up the fex yesterday, andbuilt+basecoated him, so todayI'm going to finish painting him and modeling any last tweaks. I've got to ask though, any particular reasons for some of these?

Give implant attack to the Tyrant- Its a shooting tyrant, with no CC upgrades. It will get slaughtered by most things that implant attack can affect. I tihnk my S8 blastshave more chance to kill a character. I just don't get the point.
Replace sniperfex with another boomfex- Probbably not an option, since I glued my first fex together.
Give boomfex extended carapace and if you have left over points, +1I.- I don't know what I'd drop though.
Give gaunts without number- Will do since two people have suggested it.

Do play agressively. Aim to kill everything.- This I can do. Thanks :D