PDA

View Full Version : Neferata Book Review

eldargal
01-08-2013, 12:08 AM
Neferata by Josh Reynolds.
http://www.blacklibrary.com/Images/Product/DefaultBL/xlarge/Neferata.jpg

I'll start out by saying straight away that I loved this book. Really loved it, one of my favourite Black Library books yet. The pacing is excellent, each chapter begins with a flashback showing Neferata's adventures in the centuries prior to the book's main narrative. I usually find this sort of thing a bit irritating but it is excellently done and helps highlight how Neferata has learned and grown over time and it adds a real depth to her portrayal in the main story. Neferata is, as you should know if you are reading a WFB boko review, the Queen of Lahmia, the first vampire and the founder of the Lahmian line of vampires. This charts her life from some centuries after Lahmias destruction to her acquisition of her new home, the former Dwarf hold of Silver Pinnacle.
One reason why I've avoided the Time of Legends books 'til now is that I have trouble reading a book where you start off knowing the outcome in general times. But Neferata is so well paced and written (Mr Reynolds has a very engaging prose) that I was completely engrossed and never felt that the ending was hovering over everything (the way I did with Valkia the Bloody, still a good book). If you have a passing interest in WFB Vampires I would recommend reading this, even if you don't it would probably be worth reading anyway. A lot of other prominent characters from the Vampire Counts/Tomb Kings make an appearance as well, Alcadizzar, W'Soran, Abhorash, Ushoran, Arkhan the Black and Khalida and, of course, Nagash makes a sort-of cameo appearance which is rather epic and reminscent of Sauron.
There is a suitable amount of violence for a book about vampires but much of the book deals with the plots and counterplots of the exiled Master Vampires, the violence is not gratuitous and the plotting is not tedious. I really, really loved this book.

Five out of Five Stabby Vampire Women.

Spoilers (highlight):
-Nagash sort of hovers in the background throughout the novel and it is exceedingly effective at creating a real sense of evil malevolence. Even the Ritual of Waking, the great ritual that Nagash used to re-animate the Tomb Kings is depicted in a suitably understated style, with Neferata feeling it well outside the borders of Nehekhara and hearing Nagashs' voice booming inside her skull. One of my favourite scenes.
-Neferata can bear the sun much better than the vampires sired by her and the other master vampires, which was interesting. She is also immune to the effects of running water and without seeming over the top really does give the impression of being suitably epic for the queen of Vampires, especially in contrast to Ulrika and the Lahmians in her books.
-W'Soran, the head of he Necrarch vampires is suitably creepy and Ushoran, head of the Strigoi is suitably bestial. Their characters are developed to the extent the story requires but I wouldn't say you get a great insight into their respective characters. But then it isn't their novel. You do see a common trait in all the master vampires, a half-ashamed desire to turn back time and restore ancient Lahmia, which is nice touch.
-Tomb Queen Khalida makes a suitably impressive cameo in one of the flashbacks
-I may be reading too much into it, but I think there was a sly reference to 'Allo, 'Allo at one point.:rolleyes:
-The reason for Neferatas' loathing of men is shown quite convincingly, again and again she is betrayed by male vampires of her siring while her handmaidens are loyal unto death, even when at leas one is aware they are just pawns. She still loves Neferata which is sort of sweet...
-You really see the evolution of Neferata as she grows and adapts to changing circumstances, in contrast to the other master vampires who seem trapped in the past and intent on repeating its mistakes. You see the development of the Lahmian philosophy of subversion and infiltration and control, rather than brute force or magical power.
-Can you tell I really, really loved this book?
Spoilers end.

Captain Melons
01-09-2013, 01:52 AM
How does this book rate to the other Time of Legends books? And how long before Sigmar does this take place?

eldargal
01-09-2013, 02:02 AM
I've not read any of the other Time of Legends books, but it is the first in a new sub-series called Blood of Nagash. The flashbacks tale place from -1170- - -950 Imperial Reckoning, the prologue and epilogue are in -15Ir and the main story takes place between -800 and -326IR. So in the millennium before Sigmar.

White Tiger88
01-26-2013, 12:24 AM
I love this book so far.......Make's me REALLY WANT a good Nefarta model =/

Not to mention i would love to find her old rules <_<

eldargal
01-26-2013, 03:03 AM
It's good isn't it.:) I'm reading it for the second time already. There is an old Neferata miniature but it's quite bad, even with a good paintjob:
http://www.coolminiornot.com/pics/pics13/img49c6d3c4d6993.jpg

White Tiger88
01-26-2013, 03:55 AM
It's good isn't it.:) I'm reading it for the second time already. There is an old Neferata miniature but it's quite bad, even with a good paintjob:
http://www.coolminiornot.com/pics/pics13/img49c6d3c4d6993.jpg

oh i know there is but its OOP so i can't find her or the rules :(

FireHazard
01-27-2013, 09:21 AM
Didn't she also come with a cat (presumably Naaima)?

Yes, a great read. I'm seriously considering a VC army now, even though I have hundreds of unbuilt/unpainted greenskins.

EG, I know you're not keen on the idea of the ToL books as you ultimately know the outcome, but I would recommend the Nagash books because, if for no other reason, they flesh out Neferata's beginnings.

In fairness, the other trilogies are a fine read as well. I can't comment on the rest as I've only just started Dead Winter. What I will say is, so far so good, though a little slow to start.

Brakkart
01-27-2013, 11:36 AM
I will have to get this book as it sounds like a good read and I've enjoyed most of the Time of Legends series to date.

As for the Nagash books, the 2nd and 3rd books are sadly far more about Neferata and the goings on in Lahmia than about Nagash himself. Even during the great war he has with the Skaven in book 3 you see a lot more of the Skaven characters and even Arkhan the Black than you do Nagash. The first book however is nothing short of a masterclass in how NOT to fight a necromancer! Reading it from the point of view of a fantasy fan who knows the rules of the game world and the magic that Nagash can call upon etc is a lot of fun because you get a real mounting sense of horror as you see the tactics that his opponents (who are encountering Necromancy for the first time and both have no idea what it is capable of and in a culture that reveres the dead are utterly repelled by it) are intent on using. The first book does have the problem that its storyline jumps back and forward in time between Nagash's rise to power and his fall from it, but it is pretty easy to get used to that.

Xyxel
01-27-2013, 04:46 PM
Nagash trilogy books after read, made me to start and colect 3000 points Tomb Kings army. I'm gona get that Neferata book too and hope it will feel as a sequel.

Mr Mystery
01-29-2013, 01:39 PM
It's next up! So far this month, I've devoured Road of Skulls and The Greater Good.

Glad this has had a decent recommendation'

eldargal
02-01-2013, 04:01 AM
From the January White Dwarf:

AK: Can we expect to see more Neferata?
JR: Yeah, she plays a prominent part in the second novel. There'll also be a short story or two featuring her, you've got plenty to look forward to.
So yay! I completely missed the interview with Josh Reynolds when I first read through the magazine.:( I note that he has taken over Gotrek And Felix from Nathan Long, I wonder if he will be taking over Ulrika the Vampire too... God I hope so, after Neferata I think he would do a brilliant job.

Mr Mystery
02-01-2013, 11:51 AM
Novel mentions 'Master of Mourkain' at the rear as a forthcoming short story.

Please be aware that this has already been printed in the 2012Games Day anthology, those who have it already!

White Tiger88
02-02-2013, 01:42 AM
From the January White Dwarf:

So yay! I completely missed the interview with Josh Reynolds when I first read through the magazine.:( I note that he has taken over Gotrek And Felix from Nathan Long, I wonder if he will be taking over Ulrika the Vampire too... God I hope so, after Neferata I think he would do a brilliant job.

Ulrika makes me happy......In many ways..............Neferata is second place mind you ;)