PDA

View Full Version : 1850 Celestial Lions (counts as Space Wolves)

Deadman42
10-19-2009, 11:06 PM
Now, Before you speak up against my use of the space wolves Codex, I think that thematically, it fits nicely with the Celestial lions outspokenness against the Inquisition, as well as their Desperation. In case you are unfamiliar with the Fluff of the Celestial Lions, Here is their Lexicanum Link: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Celestial_Lions

I tried to fit 96 Marines into the army, but I went for a full drop-pod army instead.

Wolf Lord- 180 (Attaches to Blood Claw squad 1)
Frost Blade
Storm Shield
Wolftooth Necklace
Saga of Majesty

Rune Priest - 130 (Attaches to The 4 Wolf Guard Terminators in the Drop-Pod)
Terminator Armour
Saga of the Beast-slayer
Jaws of the World Wolf
Living Lightning

10 Wolf Guard - 287
4 Wolf guard, Power Weapon and Boltgun (Each Attach to a Grey Hunter Squad)
1 Wolf Guard with Power Fist and Bolt Pistol (Attaches to Blood Claw squad 2)
1 Wolf Guard with Terminator Armour, and Frost blade
2 Wolf Guard with Terminator Armour, Power Fist
1 Wolf Guard with Terminator Armour, Heavy Flamer, Power Fist
Drop Pod

5 Wolf Scouts - 110 (Outflanking or Infiltrating, Depending on where I need them)
Meltagun
Melta Bombs

5 Wolf Scouts - 110 (See above)
Meltagun
Melta Bombs

9 Grey Hunters - 175
1 Meltagun
Drop Pod

9 Grey Hunters - 175
1 Meltagun
Drop Pod

9 Grey Hunters - 170
Flamer
Drop Pod

9 Grey Hunters - 170
Flamer
Drop Pod

9 Blood Claws - 170
Flamer
Drop Pod

9 Blood Claws - 170
Flamer
Drop Pod

Total Points: 1847

Looking for Constructive Criticism. Fire Away!

Unholy_Martyr
10-20-2009, 11:49 AM
Seems pretty solid but in the long term I forsee two problems:
1) Blood Claws in Drop Pods.
2)Outright destroying the enemy in close combat.

The first issue is really from a standpoint of effectiveness. You're dropping in a force that is amazing for drop pod assault because the basic Marine can outswing most of his power armored brethren. Blood claws are mean in an assault; however, it is common knowledge that as soon as they touchdown, everyone else appreciates this as well. With that in mind, I can see them staying around if you intend on possibly dropping them in towards the end (i.e. mop up any loose ends or cut off a retreat). It all just boils down to how you want to play the game.

The second issue is less of a matter of choice as necessity. You have a good number of power weapons/fists...granted with the people who are toting them, if they get tied in combat with some meanies they'll eat them alive...Emphasis on "if". You're problem is that the boys with the big sticks are also the most obvious and will have "KILL ME" from the moment they pop out of the drop pod. One major ability that the wolves have is that Grey Hunters and Blood Claws can take power weapons/fists. Insuring multiple kills in combat, especially when you know you'll be outnumbered in almost every combat is something to consider. Again, this depends on how you want to play this but try and incorporate some more for tactical flexibility.

On a side note...I like using Wolf Priests with Blood Claws as it makes the *******s tenacious as hell by making them Fearless and allows them to have preferred enemy. But its just the way I play them. Good list though, seems it could deal with just about anything.

Deadman42
10-20-2009, 01:01 PM
The Way I was looking at doing my Drop Pod Assault is:

First wave (1st turn): Drop pod 1 - 4 wolf Guard terminators and Rune Priest. (versatile shooting unit, scare tactics)
Drop pod 2 - Wolf Lord and Squad 1 of Blood Claws (Probably drop these close, but keep the threat elsewhere, like on my terminators)
Drop pod 3 - Grey hunters with meltagun and wolf guard (self-evident)
Drop pod 4 - Grey Hunters with meltagun and wolf guard (self-evident)

Rolled Reserves (whenever they come in) - Drop pod 5 + 6 - Grey Hunters with Flamer and Wolf Guard (Late objectives capture, or a quick contest.)
Drop Pod 7 - Blood claws with Wolf Guard (Like you said, Cut of a retreat, Mop up some loose ends, Etc.)
Wolf Scouts x 2 - Outflank with Behind Enemy Lines, Pop tanks from behind.

I think that a Terminator Rune Priest with JoWW/Living Lightning is going to be perceived as a larger threat than a squad of blood claws, even with an attached wolf lord, giving them some much needed time to get into assault.

I understand that blood claws would be more effective in Rhinos, but I think starting every game with nothing on the table is a pretty awesome way of doing things.

Unholy_Martyr
10-20-2009, 01:11 PM
Sounds like a good plan and a nice way to intimidate your opponent. Hope it all works out to your advantage and can't wait to hear how it fairs.

Chumbalaya
10-21-2009, 07:18 AM
You don't have any long range firepower and are relying fully on your DPs. A mobile army can avoid them and leave you huffing and puffing with nothing to hurt them with. A canny opponent can also start in reserve, giving you no surprise factor, and show up and smash you as you come in piecemeal.

3-4 GH in Pods would be sufficient, but back them with DS-ing Speeders, Dreads in Pods, Termies, Rune Priests, and even Long Fangs. You need to get the bad guys out of their transports before you can do real damage, otherwise they can move away and leave your short-range only army in the dust.

Mixed Pods and mech or cav would probably be a better pick so you aren't totally relying on Pods.

wolflold
10-21-2009, 08:11 AM
It would arm your WG with power and bolt pistol instead of an bolter, this way you'll get an extra attack. Like said before you miss long range power. I suggest drop 1 scout squad and take an Dreadnought in drop pod. Arm your WG terminators with cyclone missile launchers. And i only count 9 WG ;P.

Duke
10-21-2009, 09:32 AM
Though I like the general idea I think your going to have a few problems

1. As Chumbalaya already pointed out a savvy opponent will stay in reserves and mop you up as you come in piecemeal.

2. This is jsut my two cents, but I wouldn't start with the termies first, if you don't have an opponent who stays in reserves then you want to get those melta guns working before he has time to fan out. If it were me I would simply ignore the termies and run away from them.

generally, I think 3 pods would be enough.. That way you get 2 out of three coming in on turn one.

All that said I still think you should play what you like. People will always have more 'effecient,' builds but the point is that you like playing it. If you like this list then play it, its a good list.

Duke