PDA

View Full Version : 1500pt SW

miteyheroes
10-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Right. I'm using the Space Wolf codex to proxy for Iron Hands- I want terminators leading tactical squads. The plan is to have lots of shooty back-up, whilst squads of Troops go forwards and grab objectives.

I haven't played 40k for ages. I'd like an army relatively simple to pick up and have a laugh with. I want it to be competitive, or else I'll just get beaten awfully regularly.

What could/couldn't change:
*The Wolfguard and at least one Iron Priest are obviously vital for my fluff. Suppose I could drop one Wolfguard (the Lord could lead a squad instead).
*I could drop the second Iron Priest in favour of a dread.
*I don't particularly fancy doing any tanks, I had enough of them with my old Guard so I want to try something more infantry based.
*I'm undecided on the small Blood Claws packs. Combine them? Replace them with Grey Hunters? Something else? I want to have enough Troops to grab objectives?
*I've never been one for HeroHammer, shoving lots of upgrades on leaders isn't my normal thing. On the other hand, maybe I should change that?

HQ [140]
Wolf Lord (Terminator Armour) = 140

Elites [352]
Iron Priest (1 CC thrall, 2 HB thralls) = 90
Iron Priest (1 CC thrall, 2 HB thralls) = 90
4 Wolfguard (Terminator Armour, PF not PW, all leading squads) = 172

Troops [580]
10 Grey Hunters (2 Plasmas, 1 Plasma pistol, 1 PW) = 185
10 Grey Hunters (2 Plasmas, 1 Plasma pistol, 1 PW) = 185
6 Blood Claws (1 PW) = 105
6 Blood Claws (1 PW) = 105

Heavy [425]
1 Squad Leader, 5 Long Fangs (3 Mis, 2 Las) = 170
1 Squad Leader, 5 Long Fangs (5 HBs) = 115
1 Squad Leader, 5 Long Fangs (3 Mis, 2 Melta) = 140

Unholy_Martyr
10-20-2009, 08:22 PM
This may sound crazy but I'm a fan of this list. Besides mentioning the fact that the Iron Priests seem out of place (Well they don't really fluff wise but at the same time there being no vehicles it seems odd), its just all a matter of opinion.

Personally, I wouldn't spend the points on Plasma Pistols, those 30 points (correct me if I'm wrong) could buy you 2 more blood claws...which is what I would do. Another thought would be that since you're going for an Iron Hands style, I would think the leader would be better suited with a Thunder Hammer or Power Fist. Granted, he'd get pricey quick, but in my opinion would seem more at home (use the 30 points from plasma pistols to tool him up a little?)

Besides those two points I'm a fan

miteyheroes
10-21-2009, 02:40 AM
I was leaving the Lord as just a power weapon so I could give him a big Adeptus Mechanicus cog-axe. I suppose I could make it a double-headed cog-axe & thunder hammer? Or use the cog-axe as a Frost Blade? Hmm, will have a ponder...

Chumbalaya
10-21-2009, 07:31 AM
How do you feel about Fenrisian Wolves or Thunderwolf mounts? They would help this list considerably.

A Rune Priest, sticking the Iron Priests on TWolves, and adding TWolves and regular doggies would be extremely useful. Mobile and hard hitting assault units for fairly cheap.

Plasma pistol sucks, BCs on foot suck. Give your GH meltas to help bust up tanks that get too close.

Fangs should just have missiles or multi-meltas, nothing else.

Bjorn would fit Iron Hands fluff too.

miteyheroes
10-21-2009, 07:55 AM
I'm tempted by Cyberwolves and Fenrisian Wolves, actually. Possibly as Archaeo-Flagellant style creatures? Possibly on tank tracks? Yeah, I could definitely be tempted. And they could be made from my bits box. I'm also considering swapping the CC thrall for a cyberwolf.

I'm leaning towards merging the two Blood Claw squads into one big one.

Thunderwolves... Possibly as a future project, some sort of robot or converted sentinel. But not for now.

As to a dreadnought, or venerable dread, or even Bjorn... It's very tempting. Maybe as a Knight, even?

Chumbalaya
10-21-2009, 10:44 AM
If you bring wolves, stick your Iron Priest on a Thunderwof mount. You get a big unit of T5 cav with 4 ablative wounds and a very mean punch in HtH. You can even model him to be like a mini-Dread with tank treads instead of feet or something funky.

wolflold
10-23-2009, 06:28 AM
Woohoo mini-dreads would be cool. Altough Terminators are already mini-dreads (tactical dreadnought armour). Terminator sargeants are cool only to bad they cost you an elite slot.