PDA

View Full Version : Right i thinking of collecting a new army

oldone
10-20-2009, 03:57 PM
well as the name suggest i thinking of collecting a new army but theres one rule no space marines
well u see my friend who got in to 40k is only every going to play imperium sides so i going to go the other way but imperial graund r execptable cos i will make them traitor :D
i think i want some thing hats not a hrode like list becasue i have a nid and ork army
so eldar or nercon but i may got for a chaos mariens list

sicarius2424
10-20-2009, 04:10 PM
well how about tau my freind plays them and they are pretty tough first advice try to get a battle force for the army if you have the money or ability because it can help alot

MajorSoB
10-20-2009, 05:31 PM
Your post made my brain. My suggestion is to give up on 40K, stay in school and concentrate on English. Instead of a codex you should read a book on spelling, grammar, and sentence structure. When you have become proficient in the art of communication then you can pursue your endeavors in the art of war.

Walls
10-20-2009, 07:03 PM
Oh sweet irony. Someone demanding better communication skills yet failing at it themselves.

Eldar would be fun in many aspects but are a challenging army to play. They have a lot of finesse to their structure. Imperial guard needn't be a horde army, but can be a very blunt instrument of destruction.

I second the Tau suggestion. Lots of options in that army. Cool models and vehicles and lots of room for expansion. They are also not space marines.

Ssyrie
10-20-2009, 07:25 PM
Well the Tyrnids are getting a new codex here in a few months. The word from the Italian Games Day is that they aren't planning to change the current plastic mini's so those would be a good place to start. Trust me, painting hordes of nids takes time but the sooner you get started the quicker you'll be ready when the new codex comes out.

Unholy_Martyr
10-20-2009, 08:58 PM
You could go all James Cameron and do a Terminator Army (A.K.A. Necrons). :-) Potentially as badass as Marines, sure they keep getting tossed to the side but seriously, anyone else agree that an army of t-800 wanna-be's could be pretty fun?

Steelbull
10-20-2009, 09:27 PM
Since you already have Orks (and 'nids), I too think the Tau might be a nice change. Necron's could be fun too. I do like the idea of a T-800 army, but you have to play the "Terminator" theme music during deployment!

DarkLink
10-20-2009, 09:42 PM
Do Grey Knights count? They're really fun to play, if you don't mind having a big handicap (and no, they play nothing like Space Marines, aside from the 3+ armor and Land Raiders).

Here, let me convince you
http://www.motifake.com/grey-knights-grey-knights-warhammer-40k-space-marines-demotivational-poster-39232.html
http://www.motivatedphotos.com/?id=11467
http://www.motivatedphotos.com/?id=17042

Seriously though, I played Tau for a while back in 4th ed and had fun with them. I haven't played them since I started Grey Knights, though.

If you're willing to wait a few months, you might try checking out Tyranids, too. New 'dex is supposed to come out this January.

trjames
10-20-2009, 09:52 PM
http://www.motivatedphotos.com/?id=11467.

Who is Gery? :D

Working on finishing up my Daemonhunters right now. It's my first army since '98, when I sold my Eldar.

jcroxford
10-20-2009, 09:52 PM
If you want a really fun and diverse army to paint, Eldar is great, with some really great models, a little challenging to play. For a super fun army to play I would recommend Chaos space marines. With that codex you can field anything from a highly specialized force, to a very diverse well rounded force. My experiance with necrons is VERY boring to paint/model & not so fun to play either. Very limited options with that one. As far as marines go, I'm in the same situation, my best friend is always the marines, which has been cool until space wolves came out. So we'll be battling Brother against Brother. We figure the universe is huge, who knows what kind of disputes the marines might have to fight one another. The space wolves suspect Heresy!

Grimwar
10-21-2009, 07:44 AM
I hate to break out of the norm here but dark eldar are quite savage if used properly.

Roughly 4 splinter rifle shots is similar to 3 bolter shots, and you got open topped fast bunkers to fire from! Add in the splinter cannon, the darklance on the raider, and a blaster and you've got a firing platform that performs well for very cheap. You see 170 point marine squads without a transport, you pay less then that to make this unit. Easily stack six of these in a 1500 point force.

It can be horde, but it wont be on raiders. I played dark eldar back in the day, and its hard at first. But you can get it in time. People who own multiple armies normally do, having the added aspect of playing more then one codex.