PDA

View Full Version : A long list of things I'll get eventually.

Grimwar
10-21-2009, 07:16 AM
As the topic says, I'll get all of this someday. I just like some exterior input on what since its all a blurr. they all look good to me as they are, some meant for tourny and others meant for casual or just theme armies.

Forgive me if I'm not posting like a regular, this is my first day discovering this board.

First lists are for a vanilla marine army that has no special characters (nor will I ever use any for Vmarines). Custom chapter, no fluff written yet.

I intend on a dreadnought heavy chapter with 6 venerable dreadnoughts and 6 ironclad dreadnoughts with a pair of masters of the forges, to mix and match as I please. Apocalypse and planetstrike in mind. Drop pods pending when they're collected. Troops I am unsure of, but most likely will include scouts. Fast attack will be land speeders, complete army will be topping over 5000 points total within 2 FoC's.

First list will have 6 ironclads, one MoTF (Cant decide on conversion beamer or stay with the dreads to repair them). The scouts will outflank to prevent massive losses and arrival on either side. They will be melee scouts with powerfist sergeant, I trust thats a decent build.

Second list of the army will be 6 venerable dreadnoughts sporting sniper scouts or outflanking bolter scouts with some land speeders for good measure. Not sure if they should be pure shooty or balanced, since I have not played with them yet.

I only really need ideas on the first marine lists since I did not post actual lists to critique. Better idea of what to work with may be better, depending on durable dreadnoughts being on table first and the scouts later by outflank or being far back with ranged weapons.

The second army is a little different. But all the same I suppose as they have toughness 4 and 3+ saves.

I was planning on getting a eldar jetbike army, and it will be a little bit of a challenge since I have not played eldar. I want to get about 4 units of jetbikes, singing spears with the powers that get things done. Perhaps experimenting with powers is best in the long run, since changing models is not required.

I will probly dump a few fire prisms into the batch, I love tanks and will be very abusive with the tank shock nudging like I have in the past. Plan on catching transports with the jetbikes and shoot/assault with my bikes covering all exit points to remove an entire unit easily. Or have their transport dead and keep out of range hitting a flank if the opponent see's the tactic ahead of time. 24" move distance with skimmers makes it a very easy tactic to pull off.

The rest of the army I have no clue. I am half tempted to run with a pair of autarchs and make use of the +2 to reserve rolls so I come on turn 2 on 2+ rolls having no worries who gets first turn. I might do warwalkers, maybe wraithlords with EML+Lance for accuracy. Just don't know yet. At the very least I need range anti tank to make use of mobility early by destroying transports and abusing my turbo boost+surround a transport and then kill it with no spare space for models.

The second army, Eldar needs the most work. I may in fact build my own jetbikes, since I feel the threat of "new models arrive after I completed my army" syndrome I always get caught in. Having chaos for 10 years with being forced to change bases on my vintage termies made me ill, and my 9 oblits even more so when I had to buy new ones. I won't speak what happened to my tyranids, poor things now will suffer a 4th new model release.

Aside from those, small dark eldar force I won't complete and a decent ork army thats dubious because I converted toys to be their vehicles. I got dirty looks recently using them. I made the vehicles back in the day when it was encouraged! These days its not so tolerated or understood, so my orks collect dust these days as well.

To revive my old gaming, I'm collecting 2 new armies and letting the others await the day I want to "make it right" after being slapped down after a long hiatus from the game. I almost all but skipped 4th edition's short run.

Now, what do you guys suggest for my Marine army(ies) and the eldar force I intend on?

P.S.
Notice I'm avoiding new codexes and special characters like the plague. Nothing against them, I just don't like using the "rarest of the rare in every battle".

Thanks for reading my long post. haha

Chumbalaya
10-21-2009, 07:37 AM
Dread heavy marines can work.

3 Ironclads in Pods, 3 TLAC Dreads in Heavy. Back them up with 2 Tacs in DPs, 1 in a Rhino (or scouts), Speeders w/ MM/HF to bust up tanks, and a MotF with conversion beamer to give you some more S10. May suffer against AV14, just be aware. Ven Dreadies are massively overpriced.

Jetbike Eldar is tricky. A Jetseer council is a must, but beyond that you don't have any real anti-tank (FDs and BLances).

Grimwar
10-22-2009, 01:18 AM
Jetseer with fortune for a survivable unit I suppose?

Any suggestions for vehicles to run with the jetbike army?

Chumbalaya
10-22-2009, 04:41 AM
Fire Dragons and Avengers in Serps/Falcons, cheap firepower to thin hordes or pop tanks.