PDA

View Full Version : Bug stomping battleforce face-off help

chapter master 454
10-24-2009, 08:04 AM
Right well in a competition called the battleforce face-off I have finally gotten to the fight I wanted to get, tyranids. Now let me just clear something up on whats being used, whatever is in the tyranid battleforce is whats being used so for all those out there thats: about 10 termaguants, about 10 hormaguants, about 8 genestealers, 3 tyranid warriors and a carnifex. The additional part to this is we're allowed one HQ choice, well not allowed we must but no points limit (but not caring really) however I have found from him (Tyranid player who is the store manager) he is taking a NON-WINGED tyrant, while I am a little skeptic about this I believe he may be planning on using the warriors to maximum effect this way.

There is no upgrade limit at all so we can level as much onto the squads as we want AS LONG AS IT IS WYSIWYG. This is what I have that I can WYSIWYG:

Straken leading a command squad with a regimental standard, 2 flamers and a heavy flamer plus 2 bodyguards for cheesing the 'look out - arrrrgh!' rule. I have another command squad with an officer equiped with a plasma pistol and power fist, medi-kit, vox-caster and a heavy weapons team with autocannon. Both these commnad squads have krak grenades, carapace armour and camo-cloaks.
2 identical veteran squads: one flamer, one autocannon, vox-caster, sarge with power weapon. They both have the forward sentries doctrine which gives them camo-cloaks and defencive grenades
I also have a sentinel armed with HF, HK, searchlight, smoke launchers, camo-netting, and anything else I can put on it!

For those wondering about the high quantity of flamers I got the catachans battleforce so I got a ton load of flamers! Yea it's one less lasgun for that order but I did want to have some form of a fluffy army! Currently my plans revolve around straken falcon punching the carnifex to the ground while the army softened up the tyrants squad, the sentinel walking forth to hold up (not kill) the termaguants or hormaguants, whichever has S3! (or whichever I can get my sentinel at first) to prevent 'without number' kicking in too much (unless it's kill points!!!). Currently with alot of dice rolling (not mathhammer) straken looks in prime position to drop that carnifex and possibly left hook the tyrant too. For thsoe wondering 'how?' the answer is straken ain't an IC, yo can only target the command squad and guess what, straken can go for about (if not shoot up too much) at least 4-5 rounds with the carnifex before it hits him, by then I plan to have removed the warriors, hormaguants if they do not have 'without number' (which I doubt).

However I do believe my plan has more holes in it than a water-proof shiv! so any advice on what I can do or is this the best I can hope for?

DarkLink
10-24-2009, 10:33 PM
Flamers are, hands down, better than lasguns. Take as many as you can.

Against a Tyrant and Carnifex, you might want to find some plasma rifles. They do a good job of putting wounds on MC's, which all have high armor saves.

Even with the fact that Stracken isn't an IC, he still probably won't last too long in CC with a Carnifex, let alone a CC Tyrant. It won't take long for them to kill the rest of the squad, particularly the Tyrant. Relying on the close combat ability of Stracken and a single command squad isn't the best way to deal with a Carnifex AND a Tyrant.

Crotch Lictor
10-29-2009, 10:03 AM
hormaguants if they do not have 'without number' (which I doubt).

Hormies can't take WON in the current NID codex, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Nabterayl
10-29-2009, 12:22 PM
Straken leading a command squad with a regimental standard, 2 flamers and a heavy flamer plus 2 bodyguards for cheesing the 'look out - arrrrgh!' rule.
Just to double check, what exactly do you mean by "cheesing" Look Out - Arrrgh!? There's no reason for you not to take two bodyguards, but you're aware that you can only allocate two wounds total to the two bodyguards collectively and if you fail two saves they both die, right?

Currently my plans revolve around straken falcon punching the carnifex to the ground while the army softened up the tyrants squad, the sentinel walking forth to hold up (not kill) the termaguants or hormaguants, whichever has S3!
I agree with DarkLink about taking some plasma. Remember that a carnifex or CC tyrant only has to hit him once for him to go down, and you're looking at potentially two barbed stranglers. I can see major two ways for the Straken vs. Big Bug showdown to go wrong for you:
Straken's command squad gets decimated by barbed stranglers before he can get into CC. Straken plus command squad vs. a carnifex, even a CC carnifex, is a fair fight. Straken by himself vs. a carnifex, even a shooty carnifex, is asking to get Instant Deathed.
Your tyranid opponent kits out one or both of his monstrous creatures for CC. I still think Straken and a large command squad can potentially handle a CC carnifex, but even if he wins, by the time he reaches the second MC it'll be just him.
This isn't to say that taking Straken is a bad idea; I think it's a good one. I just agree with DarkLink that you shouldn't rely on Straken to kill both MCs in close combat. After all, with no points limit, you can give your other command squad three plasma guns and a medic, which is almost risk-free in terms of Gets Hot!, and should offer some serious fire support to Straken as he goes in for the kill.

EDIT: can I also recommend adding a medic to Straken's squad? It won't help him in combat against an MC, but there's always the possibility that your opponent will intercept Straken with one of his other units first.