PDA

View Full Version : Children of Anenas

Nauta Vei
10-25-2009, 12:38 AM
Im trying to put together an origonal, chapter, I have called them the Sons of Aeneas after the Trojan hero. I'am looking for a highly stylised Greco Roman Ideal without going down the road of the UM's and having them identifiable as Astartes. So anyway have a look at my blog and let me know what you think.

http://coaspacemarines.blogspot.com/

imperialsavant
10-27-2009, 05:52 PM
:) I like your concept & the background.
You will have a big job doing conversions but might be able to source heads from some of the Historical model suppliers who do Roman/Greek figures. Just make sure they are the right scale.
Another thought would be to use Brittonian or Empire heads, spears etc. Good Luck!

RogueGarou
10-27-2009, 07:52 PM
There was a fellow who converted a bunch of Marines into the Sons of Sparta, I think was the Chapter name. Large Spartan shields, spears, helmets, very cool looking minis. I know they have been featured in White Dwarf several years ago and I am pretty sure they have won some Golden Demon awards so there should be some pics on the web for inspiration.

I have also seen quite a few Marines and Terminators converted to look like they had Roman armor. It seems fairly easy in concept, just use uniform, thin strips of plastic card. Some of them have turned out quite nice. There was also one converted to look like Maximus from "Gladiator". Cool armor and the guy even made two heads, one that resembled Russell Crowe in that movie and one with a neat helmet, so that he could swap them out.

Good luck with the Marines, amigo.

Nauta Vei
10-29-2009, 06:11 AM
There was a fellow who converted a bunch of Marines into the Sons of Sparta, I think was the Chapter name. Large Spartan shields, spears, helmets, very cool looking minis. I know they have been featured in White Dwarf several years ago and I am pretty sure they have won some Golden Demon awards so there should be some pics on the web for inspiration.

I have also seen quite a few Marines and Terminators converted to look like they had Roman armor. It seems fairly easy in concept, just use uniform, thin strips of plastic card. Some of them have turned out quite nice. There was also one converted to look like Maximus from "Gladiator". Cool armor and the guy even made two heads, one that resembled Russell Crowe in that movie and one with a neat helmet, so that he could swap them out.

Good luck with the Marines, amigo.

Cant seem to find a decent picture of the Sons of Sparta, and I havent been able to find the termies with Roman Armour, anybody got a link. I have ordered some heads and sheilds from MaxMini, so I will let you know how i get on with those scale wise.

imperialsavant
11-01-2009, 12:08 AM
Cant seem to find a decent picture of the Sons of Sparta, and I havent been able to find the termies with Roman Armour, anybody got a link. I have ordered some heads and sheilds from MaxMini, so I will let you know how i get on with those scale wise.

I finally found some info on the Sons of Sparta.
There was a strip pic of the squad which was painted by Anthony Warrington & they did indeed win the Squad Catagory Golden Daemon in 1999.
The pic was on page111 of the 2000 issue of Chapter Approved. It will be difficult to scan as it is across 2 pages & are only small images. I will try but you might have some success by doing a Google search on Anthony or maybe yoy can get your hands on a copy. Best of Luck.
P.S. if I can successfully scan I will post over the next day or so.

imperialsavant
11-01-2009, 09:11 PM
:) Well here is the pic. As I said it wont be real good but maybe enough to give you some ideas. Good Luck.

person person
11-01-2009, 11:09 PM
Lots of potential, as for heads, how about trimming the horns on Warriors of Chaos heads.

Nauta Vei
11-03-2009, 06:48 AM
Thanks Savant, thats great, I did find a picture of them on the Lexicanum, but it wouldnt enlarge very well, this is much better. Not sure I really like their plumes althougth I do like the dynamic pose's. As for heads I have ordered some Black Lotus tribe heads from Maxmini.eu, Im still waiting on them turning up to see what they are like for scale, but fingers crossed if they dont work out then I was gonna try World eater heads with the horns off, but Chaos warriors might be an idea too. I managed to find that picture of that SM captain done up like Maximus, I like the minature, but I might just steal the shoulder pad design for a few IC's so I dont get too far away from the archetype of a SM, they may just end up looking like followers of Slaanesh.

Cheers Guys, may have some time soon to start putting some minatures together.

Nauta Vei
11-03-2009, 12:32 PM
I'm looking for some mosaic bases that will hopefully go with the theme of the army, the only ones I can find so far are 40mm ones at the fantasy store in germany, they are perfect but could do with some regular sized ones for the rank and file. Has anybody comes across anything cool?

person person
11-03-2009, 08:31 PM
http://www.dragonforge.com/Painting%20service/for%20sale/gaming_bases.htm

They have a lot of bases, Parched earth might be the best.

Nauta Vei
11-04-2009, 02:06 AM
Wow actually really like these, had a lot of a trouble finding anything I liked, cheers PP