PDA

View Full Version : Raven Guard 1850 List

darth_papi76
10-25-2009, 07:07 PM
Hi all,
I’m hoping to get some advice on a list I’ve been working on. It’s for an 1850 40K league.

HQ
Shrike

Troops

1. Tactical Squad
w/ meltagun, multi melta, powerfist and plasma pistol
Rhino
2. Tactical Sqaud
w/Missle Launcher, flamer
Rhino
3. Tactical Saqud
w/ Plasma Gun, Heavy Bolter, Power weapon and plasma pistol

Elites
Ironclad w/ Heavy Flamer, Drop Pod
Dread w/ Heavy Flamer and Multi Melta, Drop Pod
Dread w/ Heavy Flamer and Multi Melta, Drop Pod

Fast
Assault Squad w/ powerfist
Assault Sqaud / 2X Lighting Claws

The plan is to drop the Ironclad and a Dread into my opponents face while rushing up with the Rhinos and the assault squads. I’ve thought about dropping one assault squad and putting in some heavy support, but I’m not sure. Some advice would be appreciated.

Chumbalaya
10-26-2009, 06:49 AM
Build the Tacticals like the first (ditch the plasma pistol), keeps them cheap and flexible.

The 2nd assault squad doesn't seem to fit considering that Shrike is infiltrating the other. 2 Predators with autocannon and heavy bolter are ideal fire support units for cheap, as are MM/HF Speeders or Typhoons.

MarshalAdamar
10-26-2009, 09:56 AM
I'm not sure what the middle tac squads purpose in life is? The flamer is great for running or riding up and hopping out and hitting low armor troops before a charge but the missile launcher is best hunkered down in cover dropping templates or shooting at armor.

Squad one is cool, But I'm jaded on the multimelta, you have to hold still to use it, but the unit is in a transport so they'll be moving you get torn between getting in range for the melta gun which makes the multimelta useless because your always moving and then you have a powerfist which needs to charge which it can never do as long as the MM is firing.

But really with Drop podding dread with MM's I think you can rely on them for tank popping so you could focus a little more on infantry control with the tac squads.

I would drop the MM and rely on the melta gun and power fist. Roll up, hop out and fire your melta gun. If that fails to solve the problem, fire again next round and charge. OR drop the power fist so the unit can hold still and fire the MM.

Use the assault troops to counter assault and cover the more vulnerable tack squad if it gets in trouble.

But I think the list is solid.

darth_papi76
10-26-2009, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to add in the Preds and tool around with the tac squads and see what happens.

Confuddled
10-26-2009, 07:54 PM
The plan is to drop the Ironclad and a Dread into my opponents face while rushing up with the Rhinos and the assault squads.
Only real concerns are that, in this case, the third Dread is going to be cooling his heels in orbit for an indefinite amount of time. Granted, he could start in play, but its going to take a while for him to start making an impact.

But really with Drop podding dread with MM's I think you can rely on them for tank popping …

True that, assuming:
1) The tanks are on the table to begin with.
2) You are able to land within 12” (6” in the case of the Ironclad) of the target unit - not really an option if he’s got enough back-up units (cheap infantry, expendable transports etc) to push you back.
3) Bad scatters don’t help either – very roughly, you’re scattering AWAY from the opposition about 33% of the time.

There will also be times when you’d do better to have the disembarking Dreadnoughts run and pop smoke instead of standing.

What I would rely on the Dreads to do is draw fire and clutter up the other guy’s path of advance and/or fire lanes long enough for the rest of your army to rush up.

If you really want to maximise your initial shock, I’d go with a pair of Ironclads, with some other unit (the regular Dreadnought? the third tactical squad?) getting a “decoy” pod that comes down empty.

In the context of this list, I’d probably downgrade the third Tactical squad to a unit of 10 scouts (50/50 split between assault and sniper rifles), freeing up the points for a pair of Ironclads backed up by a fire-support Dreadnought (a single autocannon or assault cannon) with a decoy pod. The Dread can sit back, lob the occasional shot at the opposition and either babysit the scouts and/or advance behind the Rhinos and Assault Marines.

I’ve thought about dropping one assault squad and putting in some heavy support, but I’m not sure. Some advice would be appreciated.

I’d agree with dropping the second assault squad (probably the one with the twin lighting claws – Kevin is already superbly equipped for taking down massed infantry).

Not a fan of heavy support, however, especially with such an aggressive army – unless you’re playing on a desert planet, you WILL be blocking your own lanes of fire at some point.

Heck – never mind the rest of your army – unless you’re using cardboard cut-outs, just the two Dreadnoughts (and their drop pods) alone can seriously disrupt firing lanes!

Granted, you could drop the Dreads/Ironclads off to one side or the other, but sort of defeats the purpose of taking them in this list!

Instead, I’d use the points (and your two empty Fast Attack slots) for 2 pairs of multi-melta attack bikes.

1) They’ve got the speed to support the podding Dreadnoughts/Ironclads.

2) They can hide behind the Rhinos and/or infiltrating Assault Marines for the first couple of turns.

3) They’ve got the maneouverability to get around any roadblocks that might develop in/around the Dreads and their pods.

darth_papi76
11-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

Earthen
11-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Ditch the plasma, theres too much cover. especially the pistols.

with shrike lists, you really want to overwhelm a table quarter fast.

This has worked for me in a couple games.

Shrike

Ironclad Pod
Ironclad Pod

Tactical Pod
10 CC scouts pf
10 CC scouts pf

Assault Squadx10, PF. 1 flamer

2x2 MM Attack Bikes

~earthen