PDA

View Full Version : Price Comparisons

Wolfshade
01-29-2013, 07:23 AM
There is always a complaint from some that the hobby is too expensive and indeed is becoming even more so, one of the msot vocal groups were our friends in the Antipodes who pointed out that since GW stopped 3rd parties distributing to them that they had to buy direct from GW and felt that these prices were excessive and indeed a direct conversion agrees with this.

Below attached is a list of these prices.

The cheapest 3 being:

UK
Poland
USA

The most expensive 3 being:

Australia
New Zealand
Norway

Quite interesting is that within the Eurozone the price fluctuates between €30 and €31.

Using data from Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) 2011, the average gross and net salaries were calculated and the number of hours worked to buy a tactical squad, in their local currency was derived. It has been assumed that those in work work a 40hr week, though this is not strictly speaking accurate as the average number of hours worked varies country to country.

Below attached are the list of hours worked to buy the same tactical squad.

The shortest time to work is:

USA
Ireland
UK

The longest time to work is:

Poland
Australia
New Zealand

So it would appear that our friends from down under do have a point, though they only work 1.1hrs more for their space marines than average, our Polish friends end up working almost twice as long.

There are some obvious flaws in this assessment, namely how the "average" salary is worked out, continous arguments rage between if this should be the mean or median and the amount of tax paid does vary between people with tax arrangements being made so certain items are paid before tax is calculated and other offsets/reductions. Also the price ratio within the 40k range is not always similiar. The continous flux of the money markets will also render any calculation immediately out of date. Also this is comparing 2013 prices with 2011 OCED data.

Indeed, I did this calculation using 2012 data and it came out with Australia being 4th quickest working 2.75hrs for their marines.

But in terms of general handwavy feelings I think this is a fair representation.

A big point though is that the younger end of the market if they do have employment do not work full time if they work at all and so are dependent on their parent's to finance their hobby.

Psychosplodge
01-29-2013, 07:45 AM
I think everyone would prefer to pay less...

Maybe that's what everyone would support?

Mr Mystery
01-30-2013, 04:42 PM
I'd think that goes without saying :p

But I'll continue to play and collect until I no longer feel it's value for money.

jgebi
04-30-2013, 03:58 AM
As an Australian kid it's a real ***** to have to save but that dose come just with being human, but seriously it's more like 2 hours as the average wage in Aus is about 20-25 dollars so might want to change that around a little :P

Wolfshade
04-30-2013, 04:08 AM
It was correct at the time of publishing, that is from the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) 2011 data, I accept that GW prices may have changed, $AUS/$US exchange rate has also changed, and that the OECD may have released more up-to-date information, though I think the most up-to-date is 2011...

Shas'O Alohcry
04-30-2013, 05:55 AM
The problem with this is that people from the south of England on average earn a much higher amount per year than those of us up north. And I am sure this is the same in most countries (other areas earning more than some)

Wolfshade
04-30-2013, 06:04 AM
Yes, as noted on another thread the average salary difference between NE and London (poorest & richest) is about 7 or 8k. This then becomes higher the closer you look, i.e. Tower Hamlets & Hackney have a huge down grading effect on the average for London.

That's why one should never apply statistics and averages to individuals...