PDA

View Full Version : Rogue Trader Ship to Ship Combat??

Ivarr
10-26-2009, 08:58 PM
Can someone who has bought the book give a basic overview/review of the ship to ship combat and how it works?? I am envisioning something like BFG meets Inquisitor?? I do not have access to a copy for another week or so and I am uber curious...:mad:

Thank you. :D

Bigred
10-26-2009, 11:18 PM
Its really cool.

Basically your roll for the initiative steps for each ship in the combat (which in influenced by a lot of factors), then that is your turn sequence for the encounter.

Each ship-combat turn is supposed to represent 30 minutes in "real time", so you can have cool roleplaying encounters such as boardings in a single turn.

During each ships turn, it moves, and fires, and each character in the party with the relevant skills can manually take over a single ship function, with a chart of possible actions.

So an engineer can do damage control, scan the enemy, or more.
The Void-bornes can help with navigation and maneuverring.
The Rogue Trader, can order others, and give them bonuses to perform a single action.
And so on.

Eventually, one side will be destroyed, or more likely get badly hurt and make a run for it, which can result in a stern chase which gives the advantage tothe smaller faster ships who while not as powerful in combat, can easily evade the larger lumbering vessels.

Its a blast.

Bung
10-27-2009, 12:12 PM
Shipcombat is really simple as Bigred said.

And: the ship has to move is really a part of Bfg or the Background, cause they cant stand still.

My thought is, that a fast ship with much sensors can easily outrun the more heavier ships.

I hope there will be a ship expansion soon.
After all they got some Gothic Shipclasse coverd like the Lunar cruiser but i really want to see other ships from Bfg converted to Rouge Trader.

Ivarr
10-28-2009, 08:36 PM
This is exactly what I was hoping for. I love BFG, but really like the idea of multiple characters crewing the ships and having input as to the outcome of the battle. A Cobra or Sword would be the coolest. Cannot wait now.