PDA

View Full Version : Various Imperial Guard Lists with an explanation of choices. C&C More Than Welcome!

drummerholt1234
10-27-2009, 08:40 AM
Table of "List" (contents)
List 1 (AV12 Spam) - Post 1
List 2 ("HellStrike") - Post 8 (http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showpost.php?p=30043&postcount=8)
List 3 ("Alpha Strike") - Post 14 (http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showpost.php?p=30043&postcount=8)
List 1

Ok so the first list up is a 2000pt AV12 "spam" (even thou I hate that term, more like redundancy but whatever...) list. Obviously it is going to be filled with AV12 vehicles like chimeras, hydra, and valkyries/vendettas.

SO here is the list:

HQ
1. Company Command Squad
x3 Plasmaguns, Astropath, Officer of the Fleet, Chimera w/ Multi-laser, Heavy Bolter

This unit weighs in at 210pts so it is kinda of expensive, but I feel that it will earns its points back in more ways than just killing the enemy. It has a good bit of anti-"elite" infantry as well as light vehicle potential (It doesn't do it as well as somethings but the fact that it can do it is very important.). The chimera provides a good firebase with 6 shots to torrent the enemy with fire or possibly do some minor damage to a light vehicle (once again it isn't the greatest for the task but the fact that it can possibly do something is always good). It also provides the option of mobility if need be. In addition, the unit provides anti-alpha strike defense in the Astropath as well as reserve denial in the Officer of the Fleet. I feel that is where this unit with earn its points back, in the "unseen" control (more so than w/o the Astropath and Officer) of the game that it give me and the frustration it can put on my opponent.

Troops
1. Infantry Platoon
Platoon Command Squad
x4 Flamers, Chimera w/ Multi-laser, Heavy Flamer2 Infantry Squad w/ no additional equipment

These units are there mainly for scoring purposes. I could field another vet squad for their cost of 205pts but I feel that the addition scoring potential is more important than additional melta-vet squad. The Platoon Command Squad just provides anti-horde with their 4 flamers (took flamers over the other special weapon squad main because IMO BS3 is meh to be spending on special weapons). Their chimera is also out fitted for that as well as being constantly mobile. The multi-laser provides the same task as the one in the Company command squad but with less shot but more mobility. The infantry squads simply go in a vendetta or Valkyrie to make it scoring. It is nice to have a skimmer that can move flat out to capture/contest an objective last turn.
2. Vet Squad
x3 Meltaguns, Chimera w/ Multi-Laser
3. Vet Squad
x3 Meltaguns, Chimera w/ Multi-Laser

For 155pts these unit are very cost effective IMO. The task of these 2 units is simple. They provide the anti-heavy armor in the army. They just go around in their chimeras and shoot up tanks. Their chimera acts the same as the one in the Platoon Command Squad.
4. Vet Squad
x3 Meltaguns, Demolitions, Chimera w/ Mulit-Laser, Heavy Flamer

At 185pts this unit weighs in at 30pts more than the typical melta-vet squad. Although, I feel that those 30pts spent give this unit a tactical flexibility that is very important to the army. That tactical option comes with the demolition "perk" (doctrine but hey I'm a COD guy so yeah). It give a nice demo charge but that is not the real value of the upgrade. The meltabombs that you receive for the upgrade are much more worth-wild then the one time demo-charge. So what do I do with the meltabombs? OK here it is, if I know that my opponent is going to be a mech heavy army like mine then I can throw the Demo-Vets in the Valkyrie before the game and use the Valkyries scout move to get into position for a turn one charge on a tank or line of tanks and more than likely blow the hell out of them. The chimera give me the option to make them act as a normal melta-vet squad and not be forced to do that alpha strike move if it is not needed.
Elites
1. Psyker Battle Squad
x8 Psykers total, Chimera w/ Multi-Laser, Heavy Flamer

This unit is in the army main for the weaken resolve power. It just screws nob units and nob biker units (3 deaths and then a LD check at -8 LD yeah...) as well as other non-fearless unit that I want to leave the field early. In addition a pie plate template with S8 AP d6 is not too bad either. Their chimera does what the Company Command Squad's does since they will be deploy to target the unit that I want to weaken resolve or template and then can move if need be. The unit costs 155pts which IMO is a fair price to pay for such a good set of abilities/powers.
2. Inquisitor
Emperors Tarot, Psychic Hood, x2 Mystics, x2 Hierophants

This 83pt unit is a steal for what it does in the game. It helps secure me first turn with the tarot, give me a very good psychic defense in the psychic hood, and deep strike (in addition to deployment) defense in the mystics. They do inside a vendetta or Chimera for extra protection.
Fast Attack
1. Valkyrie with Multiple Rocket Pods

This 130pt model just flies around shooting and laying pie plates on infantry squad. It also can deliver the Demo-Vet alpha strike if need be. In addition, it can contest/capture (if it has vets or an Infantry squad in it) late game.
2. Vendetta
3. Vendetta

These 2 130pt birds provide a triple lascannon firing platform to shoot tanks from a distance. Pretty simple. Note they will also be scoring if an infantry squad is in them.
Heavy Support
1. Manticore

D3 S10 AP4 pie plates for 4 turns for 160pts. Whats not to like? Drop them on infantry and tanks to annoy the enemy; can't get much simpler than that.
2. Hydra Battery (x2 Hydras)
3. Hydra Battery (x2 Hydras)

These 2 units weigh in at 150pts a piece. They either go for light-medium tanks or torrent the enemy with fire. Once again, pretty simple.

Ok so there it is, hopefully the addition of the explanation is helpful. Comment on the list are welcome as always.
How do you like the format? It is different from what I usually do, and I will be adding more lists once I write them.

Chumbalaya
10-27-2009, 09:36 AM
I'm not a fan of the naked infantry (can't even scrape together an autocannon?), but everything else looks solid.

drummerholt1234
10-27-2009, 09:42 AM
I'm not a fan of the naked infantry (can't even scrape together an autocannon?), but everything else looks solid.

Well they are always going to be in a vendetta. I could put a flamer with them but I want to keep the vendetta at range. I know that the naked infantry squad are not great but with the way I am using them I feel that they fit.

Eyespy
10-27-2009, 07:10 PM
Emperors Tarot

Do you really want to go first? You already have a solid defence against deep striking units, and with highly mobile vendettas you can easily grab last minute objectives on the final turn. Not to mention you not having anything worth shooting at one third of the time in Dawn of War.

drummerholt1234
10-27-2009, 07:44 PM
Do you really want to go first? You already have a solid defence against deep striking units, and with highly mobile vendettas you can easily grab last minute objectives on the final turn. Not to mention you not having anything worth shooting at one third of the time in Dawn of War.

It depends on who I am facing. Don't forget that it also let's me pass off first turn. ;)

Silver
10-27-2009, 09:02 PM
hi, thanks for the explanations, they help a lot, and the format is effective :)

how are the demo vets supposed to work?? you need to charge the vehicle, and seeing as the chimera isnt open-topped, they'll be sitting in the open/behind the chimera for a turn. either way, the target is going to drive away (4 - 6 to hit), or shoot the squad to bits.

the rest looks pretty gud to me, but those infantry look pretty ineffective, especially if the vendetta is shot down

- Silver

drummerholt1234
10-27-2009, 09:27 PM
hi, thanks for the explanations, they help a lot, and the format is effective :)

how are the demo vets supposed to work?? you need to charge the vehicle, and seeing as the chimera isnt open-topped, they'll be sitting in the open/behind the chimera for a turn. either way, the target is going to drive away (4 - 6 to hit), or shoot the squad to bits.

the rest looks pretty gud to me, but those infantry look pretty ineffective, especially if the vendetta is shot down

- Silver

Here is how you alpha-strike the Demo-Vets:

1. Deploy them in the valkyrie rather than their chimera.
2. Scout move the valkyrie into a position around 12" away (basically as close as you can get) from an enemy tank or tank line.
3. On your first turn get out of the valk and move and assault the tanks with meltabomb.

This gives you auto hit S8+2d6 attacks on the rear armor value of the tanks.

drummerholt1234
10-27-2009, 10:52 PM
List 2

OK so here is the second list in the series. It is a 2000pts deathstrike list. This list only meant for fun and not to be competitive. It realizes alot on luck.

HQ
1. Company Command Squad
Vox
2. Company Command Squad
Vox

These units give orders to the big infantry squads.

Troops
1. Infantry Platoon
Platoon Command Squad w/ Vox
Infantry Squad w/ Commissar, Vox, Autocannon
Infantry w/ Autocannon
Infantry w/ Autocannon
2. Infantry Platoon
Platoon Command Squad w/ Vox
Infantry Squad w/ Commissar, Vox, Autocannon
Infantry w/ Autocannon
Infantry w/ Autocannon

These two platoons combine squads and shoot the autocannons at transports and infantry. Once again not super competitve but the fun is about to come. ;)

Fast Attack
1. Hellhound Squadron
Bane Wolf w/ multi-melta, smoke launchers
Hellhound w/ multi-melta, smoke launchers
2. Hellhound Squadron
3. Hellhound Squadron

So these units go up and either pop heavy tanks, flame horde units (or MEQ's in the case of the bane wolf), and block moving lanes.

Heavy Support
1. Deathstrike
2. Deathstrike
3. Deathstrike

This is the fun part of the list IMO at least. If and once they go off this list turns into a blast (no pun intended LOL). If enough damage is done a win can even be achieved. :)

So there is the second list. Once again it is for fun and not for a competitive games. So for the fact that it has less explanation but I'm saving the good writing for the next competitive list that I write. ;)

Eyespy
10-28-2009, 12:20 AM
Don't forget that it also left me pass off first turn. ;)

I did not know that. Thats much more useful.

you need to charge the vehicle, and seeing as the chimera isnt open-topped, they'll be sitting in the open/behind the chimera for a turn.

No so. Check the BRB, pg 67, second bullet point. You can assult after disembarking so long as the vehicle did not move first.

List 2

OK so here is the second list in the series. It is a 2000pts deathstrike list. This list only meant for fun and not to be competitive. It realizes alot on luck.

This is not a tornament list, but it could be alot of fun. I've playtested deathstrikes (modeled one too) and they're less interesting then they seem at first glance.

I woudln't mix Hellhounds/Banewolves. They are Ap 4 and 3 respectivley. going HH/HH and BW/BW would let you hunt MEQ and scouts at the same time with more effectivlness.

mercer
10-28-2009, 05:22 AM
I like the first list mainly because I run something like it myself. You didn't say, but I guess your putting stuff in reserve, what stuff would it be?

Oh, the infantry platoon on foot seems odd in that list.

drummerholt1234
10-28-2009, 06:52 AM
I like the first list mainly because I run something like it myself. You didn't say, but I guess your putting stuff in reserve, what stuff would it be?

Oh, the infantry platoon on foot seems odd in that list.

It depends, sometime I will have everything in reserve, sometimes I will have everything on the table first turn, and sometimes I will have somethings in reserve and and on the table. It i determined by a number of variables. If you want a more in depth write up about how I determine that kind of thing I could write something up; just ask.

@eyespy

I'll write something up about why I mixed the squadrons. I know it seems unorthodox but after you see why maybe it will make a little more sense of my madness! ;)

mercer
10-28-2009, 08:53 AM
Well I was just wondering because of the astropath. If you don't use reserves then your wastnig the astropaths +2 ability.

drummerholt1234
10-31-2009, 09:30 AM
Well I was just wondering because of the astropath. If you don't use reserves then your wastnig the astropaths +2 ability.

The astropath just adds that tactical flexibility to the army which is good to have IMO.

drummerholt1234
11-03-2009, 11:35 AM
List 3

"Alpha Strike"

HQ
1. Company Command Squad
x4 Meltaguns, Astropath

Troops
1. Vet Squad
x3 Meltaguns, demolition
2. Vet Squad
x3 Meltaguns, demolition
3. Vet Squad
x3 Meltaguns
4. Vet Squad
x2 flamers, heavy flamer
5. Vet Squad
x2 flamers, heavy flamer

*All Vets have shotguns.*

Fast Attack
1. Valkyrie Squadron
x2 Valkyries w/ Multiple Rocket Pods
2. Vendetta Squadron
x2 Vendettas
3. Vendetta Squadron
x2 Vendettas

Elites
1. Psyker Battle Squad
x8 Psykers, Chimera w/ multi-laser, heavy bolter
2. Psyker Battle Squad
3. Psyker Battle Squad

That comes out to 1925pts, so there are still 75pts to spend. Could max out the PBS to nine strong to get that total down to 45pts left. What do you all think?

Ok so here is how the list works:

There are two main situations that the army can be in, it can either go first or second.

If you are going second, the astropath allows you to reserve everything and have a good chance of getting what you need to come in when you need it. Once stuff comes in target the biggest threats (aka anti-tank) first ect...

If you go first the list has a few other options.

If you go first you can scout move the valk/vendetta into position and pick your targets the way you want them (note the demo-vets go for tank lines with their meltabombs and flamer vets go for hordes ect...). The psyker battle squads weaken resolve unit to make them run of the board or they can S8 pie plate someone as well (fearless armies).

Comments and suggestion (on all of the lists) would be nice! :)

I'm just trying to get a bunch of list down so that I don't have to play the same list every week, although I still like the first list.