PDA

View Full Version : Preview the prototype of a new YouTube Infinity Batrep Format....

doremicom
01-31-2013, 03:14 PM
which I'm hoping to use to film all the Campaign:Paradiso missions from the narrative fluff perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkTZ2IjXpto

You can skip to 6:40 if you just want to see the Batrep Prototype footage.

Levitas
02-01-2013, 11:29 AM
Interesting!

Successful Bat Reps is something the table top gaming world has strived to perfect for years, and hasn't quite managed it. The problem is that it's like watching someone play video games, as in its generally more fun when it's you who is playing. I just don't think they make a good spectator sport, unless it's an epic encounter. I think if you create a story and connect the viewer somehow, that makes them more interesting. I don't think it's necessarily about following every dice roll.

Paradisos narrative will definitely help, you could add to this by giving the units names etc.

I do like this multi screen format. I think you are onto something good, great work.

doremicom
02-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Batreps with dice roll details seem to be an interest for newer players (based on some PMs I've received via YouTube). It's a tricky concept to get it right because getting the overall sense of the game going on when it's a 4x4 table and a total of 16 models (for both armies) playing is hard to see. I've done everything from playing full games where every action was discussed between players to a really fast overview of the game in 5 minutes, and multiple steps in between these extremes.

In each version, I got positive and negative feedback. What's presented in video 500 is as close as I can get to taking what worked from each of my iterations. When the first prologue mission is complete (which is only 2 turns long), and it's no longer a prototype, I'd really like to get your updated feedback and see if it resonates with viewers.

Thank you again for taking time to post feedback.

Levitas
02-01-2013, 05:59 PM
For sure, i think as the format goes this is really good stuff. Do get feedback from across the Infinity community too, via the parent forum and data sphere.

I'd ask, why would gamers want to watch this? One is definitely as a curious player to see how the game works. In that respect details do matter.

Lets say, as an experienced gamer, why would I want to watch this? Answers might be, to see how new faction X plays (say Tohaa). Infinity doesn't work on lists, so 'see crazy list A' in action isn't a hook.

Most experienced gamers at this point will have played all the Paradiso missions, they know what to take and what not to take. They may watch out of mild curiosity or devotion to their faction.

In that respect you have two different audiences, and may want to consider tailoring the approach and labeling "A new player takes on the jungles of Paradiso!" then focus on the details and new player focus.

For vets, it might be "Can I tackle Paradiso without no hackers?" or "Is Ariadna really finding the missions tough"

I hope that helps as I can see you are doing very cool stuff, as well as getting valuable feedback.

kidterminal
02-02-2013, 06:35 PM
Hi I can't wait for your new series. I just subscribed and left a comment.