PDA

View Full Version : Forces of the Inquisiton - A first draft (unofficial) codex idea.

RobinTrevize
02-06-2013, 07:38 AM
I have been reading some of my older codices recently and stumbled across Witch-Hunters and Daemon-Hunters.
After re-reading the books my interest was sparked once again but after trawling the webway I found nothing on forums or official sites to suggest that there is going to be more from GW concerning the Inquisition.
With this in mind I have started to put together an unofficial codex for use in friendly games.
The basic Idea is that all the units will use stats and points costs of units from other codices. They will simply have different special rules and names. (For example, the deathwatch kill-team is essentially a sternguard squad with a few tweaks)

So far this is the army list that I have put together.

HQ
Inquisitor Lord (1)
• Mandatory HQ option. Must choose one of the 4 inquisitorial paths. Hereticus, Xenos, Malleus or Sigillus*.

Inquisitorial Henchmen. Numbers between 3-12. Options are; Warrior, Bound Daemonhost, Death Cult Assassin, Servitor, Acolyte, Familiar, Chirurgeon
• Do not take up a HQ slot. Maximum of 3 of any type of henchmen. Any bonuses they confer do not stack

Master Assassin (0-1)
• Only available to Sigillus Inquisitors. They must be from a specific temple

Grey Knight Brother Captain (0-1)
• Only Available to Malleus Inquisitors

Adepta Sororitas Heroine (0-1)
• Only Available to Hereticus Inquisitors

Deathwatch Brother Captain (0-1)
• Only Available to Xenos Inquisitors

Priests (0-5 Do not take up a HQ slot)
• Do not take up a HQ slot. Each priest must be attached to a different unit. They Can not be attached to Ordo specific units (such as deathwatch)

Dedicated Transports – Rhino, Chimaera, Land Raider
• Optional transports for HQ/Elite/Troop choices and any attached independent special characters. They can gain specific upgrades dependant on your Inquisitors Ordo

ELITE
Grey Knight Squad
(0-2 Sigillus, 0-3 Malleus, 0 Xenos/Hereticus)
• Follow the above constrictions on unit amounts. Dependant on your Inquisitor Lords Alliegance

Battle Sisters Squad
(0-2 Sigillus, 0-3 Hereticus, 0 Malleus/Xenos)
• Follow the above constrictions on unit amounts. Dependant on your Inquisitor Lords Alliegance

Deathwatch Kill Team
(0-2 Sigillus, 0-3 Xenos, 0 Hereticus/Malleus)

Officio Assassinorum Operative (0-2)
• Must be from a specific temple

TROOPS
Inquisitorial Stormtroopers
• Elite troopers that have been trained to work alongside Inquisitors

Adeptus Arbites Enforcers
• Lawkeepers of the local planet/population

Conscripted Guardsmen
• Standard Guardsmen that have been conscripted by the Inquisitor

Penal Legion (0-1)
• Repentant prisoners often used as cannon fodder or meat shields

FAST ATTACK
Arco-Flagellants
• Special rules concerning trigger words

Arbites Bikers
• Arbites Enforcers on bikes

Valkyrie Gunship
• Requisitioned by the inquisitor or a personal transport

Strike Team
• A team of specially armed stormtroopers mounted in a rhino. Three different specs. Blitz/Search & Destroy/Reinforce. This is bought as one package for one set amount of points

HEAVY SUPPORT
Orbital Strike (0-1)
• May only be used if the Inquisitor is on the table

Manticore/Deathstrike Missile Launcher
• Requisitioned by the inquisitor

Redemptionists
• Stormtrooper squadron armed with a variety of Heavy Weapons

Penitent Engine
• A walker containing the body of a traitor (or similar) who fights to prove his loyalty to the Emperor

*As a side note, Sigillus Inquisitors are something of my own creation. They are inquisitors that perhaps trained with one of the three major ordos but have decided to go "free agent" so that they can fight a broader scope of the emperors enemies. Whilst not an official ordo, the background will state that their numbers are growing.

Any questions or comments please post. :)

Wolfshade
02-06-2013, 08:06 AM
From your list it appears that you have your troops in order of "elitness"

Stormtroopers->Arbites->Guardsmen->Penal

Given the Stormtrooper slight difference between the Stormtroopers and Guardsmen I'll be interested to see how you slip Arbites into this.

RobinTrevize
02-06-2013, 08:15 AM
Essentially the idea is that;
Stormtroopers - Will be the unit from the Imperial guard/witchhunters codex, hellguns and all that jazz.
Arbites/Guardsmen - Essentially the same unit (which I may end up combining anyway) But where guardsmen use the standard lasgun, combat knife combo. Arbites have a choice of either shotguns or Power mauls and riot shields. They will probably have a very similar stat-line just different equipment options. I am thinking of combining these into one choice (PDF rather than guardsmen) and just giving the options for people to equip them in whichever of the three ways they like. They can then say "oh their arbites" or "Just regular PDF guys".
Penal Legion - This is added in as a homage to the old Last Chancers models. I've never seen a unit with as much character. They will most likely have slightly lower stats, be led by a commisar who is likely to shoot them at any given time and all be equipped with the equivalent of laspistols and close combat weapons. As is tradition with most troop choices there will be the option to arm two of them with heavy weapons and two with special weapons. Their designed to be cheap and expendable but also I'm hoping will promote kit-bashing and squad backgrounds being thrown in.

Wolfshade
02-06-2013, 08:26 AM
I like that idea so the arbites are "close combat" orientated in the classical traditions :)

heretic marine
02-06-2013, 08:28 AM
Interesting, because lack of time on my part I can't write that much (in a hurry), I will say interesting and that you should add the Reppressor transport.

RobinTrevize
02-06-2013, 08:35 AM
Where would I find rules for aforementioned "Repressor" :P Sounds dangerous.

Digitarii
02-06-2013, 08:35 AM
Hmm. The idea of the Sigillus is interesting, but I think it breaks from both a Fluff standpoint and a balance standpoint. In the fluff, Inquisitors changing ordos is met with suspicion from other Inquisitors, so I think one going "Free Agent" would likely be labeled "Hereticus Extremis" by the Inquisition. The "Sigillus" is the only one that can access the Assassin temples and has access to all of the Chambers Militant? Broken in balance and fluff. The Sisters don't trust the Deathwatch, the Deathwatch don't trust anybody, and the Grey Knights kill or mindwipe everyone that works with them with very few exceptions.

RobinTrevize
02-06-2013, 08:44 AM
Going back to the Inquisitor Rulebook, there are mentions of individual cells of Inquisitors that work on behalf of smaller Ordos. They all eventually link back to one of the three major ones, but this is where my initial idea for the Sigillus came from.
In previous incarnations of Inquisition based rules there have been mentions of allied forces and the Witch-hunters codex shows grey knights working alongside Sisters.
I understand that there would be enmity between the three groups but the idea is more that a player picks a major ordo and plays that. However if they do select Sigillus as their path, the army list represents a mustering of forces to deal with a large threat to the imperium.
In the case of whether the three units would work side by side, If an Inquisitor lord requested it then it would be difficult to refuse.
I don't know for sure but I would think that if a threat was big enough the differing factions would put their disagreements aside and come to the aid of an agent of Terra when he needed them.
I am not discrediting your point, I may have to adjust my fluff and rules to represent the alliances and how and why they would work on the tabletop.

*As a final note to address the balance issue. I could change it so that Sigillus Inquisitors only have access to 1 of each of the elite choices. And each of the three elite choices are numbers low/points high units. So the more you have the less models you would be able to field on the tabletop. I'm working on including an emnity rule to adjust how the squads would interact with each other

fuzzbuket
02-06-2013, 12:33 PM
if you have the good old "we actually can kill deamons instead of being fancy marines" GK you are amazing.

also if you want details eisenhorn is good for a look at the world of a =][= whilst grey knights has a lot of info on the inquisitons fortresses, practices and stuffs. (and GK)

LordGrise
02-06-2013, 06:33 PM
I think an Orbital Strike is way out there, personally. If the Inquisitor is willing and able to call in a orbital strike, then he's just going to nuke the place from orbit - it's the only way to be sure. ::grin::

From a fluff POV, any of the three main Orders can requisition assassins.

As far as the Sigillite goes, that sounds kind of like an Inquisitor operating under Special Circumstances.

heretic marine
02-06-2013, 06:52 PM
I think an Orbital Strike is way out there, personally. If the Inquisitor is willing and able to call in a orbital strike, then he's just going to nuke the place from orbit - it's the only way to be sure. ::grin::

it all depends on the situation, nuking it will obliterate everything, but a single orbital strike will leave something (granted not where it hit but around the area).

the Repressor is a Sisters of Battle Transport from Forge World. it is a really nice transport.

RobinTrevize
02-06-2013, 07:46 PM
From a fluff POV, any of the three main Orders can requisition assassins.
As far as the Sigillite goes, that sounds kind of like an Inquisitor operating under Special Circumstances.

The Orbital strike is from the Witch-hunters codex. It is literally a one use blast marker designed to smash whatever it hits. However it will be attached to a high points cost plus some heavy limitations. Not least of which is the scatter potential and if the Inquisitor lord is killed then it can not be called in. It's a risky gambit but it's designed to be a make or break weapon that can decide the outcome of the battle. I am also thinking of adding a rule that means it can only be used once your force has been reduced to half strength. A kind of last resort.

Any Ordo can requisition an assassin or two as an elites choice however the purpose of the Master Assassin is to keep things balanced. Without him, any player using a Sigillus army misses out on a second HQ choice as you can only field 1 Inquisitor Lord.

As a final note Sigillus Inquisitors are either radical, working under special circumstances or are part of one of the three ordos but they simply fight all the enemies of the Imperium. Either way they have an Inquisitorial seal and can pretty much requisition what they like.

From a balancing POV the Sigillus Inquisitor can now only field 1 of each of the elite choices that are ordo specific.

the Repressor is a Sisters of Battle Transport from Forge World. it is a really nice transport.

I will probably avoid putting that in as I want to keep things GW so that players can easily access models for their force. On the other side of things I was thinking about putting in Ordo specific Heavy Support choices. (Ie, An Exorcist tank for Hereticus/A Dreadknight for Malleus/A death-watch dreadnought for Xenos) Each of which will be limited to 1 per army. However if a player takes any of those choices then they may not take any Penitent engines.

Thanks for all the feedback so far guys, it has given me a few questions to answer and improved the army list already. :)
Keep it coming.

RobinTrevize
02-06-2013, 09:27 PM
Right so got in from work and decided to do some writing. I have completed the first draft of the Inquisitor Lord and his retinue.

Any Feedback is welcome as always.

(You'll have to bear with the editing. I've been writing on word and all the text formatting/tables have been removed in the post :S)

HQ
Inquisitor Lord (1)
• Mandatory HQ option. Must choose one of the 4 inquisitorial paths. Hereticus, Xenos, Malleus or Sigillus.
(Based on the Inquisitor Lord from Codex:Witch Hunters)

Pts:45 WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv
Inquisitor Lord 4 4 3 3 3 4 3 10 4+

Number/Squad: 1
Options: An Inquisitor Lord may use up to 100 points worth of equipment from the Inquisiton Armoury.
An Inquisitor Lord may be a Psyker for an extra 20 points.
An Inquisitor Lord must choose which Ordo he hails from. The choices are; Hereticus, Xenos, Malleus or Sigillus.
Retinue: The Inquisitor Lord must be accompanied by a retinue of henchmen as detailed below. He and the retinue are treated as a single unit during the battle. Note that the retinue does not count as a separate HQ choice (it does not use up one of the HQ ‘slots’)

Special Rules:
Representative of the Ordo: Inquisitors gain different army selections dependant on which Ordo they hail from (detailed in each of the squad entries) They also gain the following;
Hereticus – Preferred Enemy: Psykers.
Malleus – Preferred Enemy: Daemons of Chaos/Chaos Space Marines.
Xenos: Preferred Enemy: Xenos (This changes dependant on the enemy. If the opponent is using a force considered to be Xenos then the Inquisitor gains the benefit, if not then no benefit is conferred)
Sigillus – After all players have deployed, the controlling player may move one unit up to 6”. It must remain at least 18” away from any enemy units but may move into/out of cover. Difficult terrain is treated as normal during this move and it is carried out before the first turn of the game.
Psyker: If the Inquisitor lord is a Psyker they may select psychic powers from the Inquisition psychic powers list.
Iron Will: An Inquisitor Lord may choose to pass or fail any Morale check or pinning test he is called upon to make. This ability is conveyed to any unit he joins. Even if failure is normally automatic, the Lord may still choose to pass or fail.
Independent Character: If his retinue is destroyed, the Inquisitor becomes and Independent character and is free to join other units.
Keystone: If the Inquisitor Lord is killed, at the beginning of each of the controlling players turns he must roll a leadership check for all Ordo Specific units (Grey Knights/ Sisters of battle/ Death-watch kill-teams / Exorcist/ Dreadknight/ Death-watch Dreadnought). In the case of a success, they are unaffected. If the test is a failure they immediately start to fall back to the nearest table edge. They may not rally and will attempt to flee if charged in combat. All other troops operate as normal but suffer a -1 Leadership modifier for the remainder of the game.

Inquisitorial Henchmen. (3-12) Options are; Warrior, Bound Daemonhost, Death Cult Assassin, Servitor, Acolyte, Familiar, Chirurgeon
• Do not take up a HQ slot. Maximum of 3 of any type of henchmen. Any bonuses they confer do not stack
(Based on the Inquisitor Henchmen from Codex:Witch Hunters/Daemon Hunters)

Pts: Varied WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv
Acolyte 3 3 3 3 1 3 1 8 5+
Bound Daemonhost 3 3 4 4 1 3 1 8 -
Chirurgeon 3 3 3 3 1 3 1 8 5+
Death-Cult Assassin 4 3 3 3 1 4 1 8 5+
Familiar 2 2 2 2 1 2(4) 1 4(10) -
Servitor 3 3 3 3 1 3 1 8 4+
Warrior 3 4 3 3 1 3 1 8 5+

Number/Squad: 3-12 (Maximum of 3 of each type of henchmen)
Weapons: Varied (See Henchmen descriptions below)
Options: Varied (See Henchmen descriptions below)
Special Rules: Does not take up a HQ option on the force organisation chart. Varied (See Henchmen descriptions below) If the Inquisitor Lord is killed then his retinue stays on the table and continues to operate as a unit however they still suffer the -1 leadership effect caused by Keystone.

Acolyte - Pts: 10 Armed with either a Lasgun or Laspistol and Sword. May take up to 30 points worth of equipment from the Inquisition Armoury. An Inquisitor with an Acolyte that takes a wound may assign the wound to the Acolyte. This is done after the wound has been caused but before Armour saves are taken.

Bound Daemonhost – Pts: 15 Warp Shield – The Daemon has a 5+ Invulnerable save. Daemonic Claws – Counts as having two close combat weapons. Psychic Beacon – If the Inquisitor is targeted by a psychic power he may assign the effects to the Daemonhost. This is done after the power has been successfully manifested.

Chirurgeon – Pts: 15 The Inquisitor may take a special save against the first wound caused by shooting each turn. This is a 4+ save. If successful then he may ignore the wound. This does not negate wounds caused in close combat/psychic powers or wounds that would cause instant death.

Death-cult Assassin - Pts: 15 If the Inquisitor is charged in close combat, the Death-cult assassin may make an Initiative check. If successful swap the placement of the Inquisitor and the Assassin. This ability may not be used if the Assassin is already engaged in close combat.

Familiar – Pts: 10 For each familiar that is in the Inquisitors retinue he may take an extra psychic power. If a familiar dies, the Inquisitor loses a randomly selected Psychic power. Familiars use the Inquisitors Initiative and Leadership. If the Inquisitor is killed then remove all familiars as well.

Servitor – Pts: 10 The servitor is either armed with a Power fist and Close combat weapon for +15pts or one of the following; Heavy Bolter +15pts, Multi-Melta +25pts or Plasma Cannon +35pts. No two servitors in the retinue may be equipped with the same weapons.

Warrior – Pts: 5 Armed with a Laspistol and Chainsword. A Warrior may swap his laspistol and/or Chainsword for the following; Boltgun +1pt, Storm bolter +3pts, Hot-shot Lasgun +5pts, Combi-Flamer/Melta/Plasma +10pts, Plasma Gun/Melta Gun/Flamer +10pts, Power Sword or Plasma Pistol +15pts, Storm Shield +20pts, Power Fist +25pts. A warrior may replace his flak armour with either Carapace Armour +5pts or Power Armour +10pts.

I know that there's a lot to the retinue rules but they will be what the army is built around. Also, with the way that I have done the listing you will immediately have to be spending at least 60 pts on a mandatory HQ choice (Basic Inquisitor Lord with 3 basic Warriors)

L192837465
02-07-2013, 07:33 AM
My $.02: Sisters and Deathwatch setting aside their differences, sure.

Grey knights doing so: No a godd***ed chance. Taking GK and any other force should include "any and every non-GK unit counts as destroyed upon the end of a battle, even if full strength. No other unit can hold objectives. The lord inquisitor counts as a Grey Knight for these rules."

And your Sigilite or whatever... leave it out for now. As it stands, any kind of inquisitor can fit under the 9 principle =][= types.

Seriously, Grey Knights have wiped out entire populations because they were noticed. Not a chance they'd fight alongside anything without killing or mindwiping everything

Renegade
02-07-2013, 10:55 AM
=][= Storm Troopers are mind wiped all the time, as are all storm Troopers. I recommend reading some BL on Imperial Guard on the subject, there is at least one book where this is mentioned. Remember that Storm Troopers training takes place in the same facilities as Commissars and SoB, they are not quite as expendable as standard IG.

RobinTrevize
02-07-2013, 11:11 AM
My $.02: Sisters and Deathwatch setting aside their differences, sure. Grey knights doing so: No a godd***ed chance.

There are rules within the GK codex for Inquisitors and Inquisitorial Henchmen. Also, in the 6th edition rulebook concerning allies, grey knights are allies of convenience with Sisters of Battle and other Space Marine chapters (As well as Eldar!). I think that an Inquisitor requesting support would qualify as a good reason for an alliance.

And your Sigilite or whatever... leave it out for now. As it stands, any kind of inquisitor can fit under the 9 principle =][= types.

The idea of a Sigillus Inquisitor is someone that is either more radical, operating under special circumstances or has simply drifted away from direct contact with his relevant ordo. Esienhorn is a good example, he is from Ordo Malleus but has also worked alongside a vast range of allies whilst never once returning to Terra or reporting his actions to his masters.

Most of the bulk of the army will comprise of "Inquisitorial forces" I.e. Guardsmen, PDFs and Arbites. Alongside some tanks and other heavier options. The three ordo elite choices will be restricted to 1 per for Sigillus armys.

At the end of the day I'm not creating an army to feature in novels that works perfectly with 40k background. I am creating an army that has been pulled together to face a great threat to the imperium on the battlefield. The Grey Knights don't have to like their allies, just work with them to protect what they are trained to protect. Then go their own way.

=][= Storm Troopers are mind wiped all the time, as are all storm Troopers. I recommend reading some BL on Imperial Guard on the subject, there is at least one book where this is mentioned. Remember that Storm Troopers training takes place in the same facilities as Commissars and SoB, they are not quite as expendable as standard IG.

The idea of the Stormtroopers is that they work directly with the Inquisitor in question. They are usually a standing force that operate from the same black ship over years and yes they will be mind-wiped but that is what they are trained for. The other troops are usually conscripted as needed.