PDA

View Full Version : Space Wolves vs Tyranids: The Challenge

johnnyfoodmaster
10-27-2009, 02:39 PM
Hey all. My friend and I have decided on a grudge match for when the new 'Nid dex comes out. My big mouth was blabbing about how much I like the Space Wolf codex, so that's the army I'm going to build. Now, I just need to work on a list. I know my friend loves Genestealers, so I'm bound to be facing them and carnifexes.

My idea is to try to set up one big turn of charging using Ragnar's special and Logan Grimnar's once per game also. I'm thinking of a lot of early shooting with long fang heavy bolters and using Rhinos to set up my assaults.I'm also thinking of maybe a saga of the warrior born Wolf Lord. I might use a Dreadnought too.

So, any suggestions? :)

Spellscape
10-27-2009, 02:47 PM
if gaunts a really WoN and 3 points in it in reality. Then SW in troubles - SW will die one by one.
Same with SW VS IG

jeffersonian000
10-27-2009, 03:24 PM
The new SW codex has little in it to stop a current Nid codex MC spam army. 6 'fexes with 5 wounds each, toughness 7 and a 2+ save led by 2 Tyrants with 3 guard pretty much ignore bolter fire and Strength 4 close combat attacks. It get even worse when the Nid player take +1 Initiative on the 'fexes, allowing them to strike before power fists or thunder hammers.

The flip side is in taking a lot of Rhino mounted Plasma-Hunter squads to force enough rapid fire plasma wounds to stall out a 'fex stampede. Jaw of the World Wolf can pick off 'fexes in 1's and 2's, but it useless versus Tyrants. Yet, Living Lighting is also useless versus a 2+ armour save, as well as all those weather effects that induce difficult terrain since the Nid army’s "move through cover" special rule pretty much ignores any attempt to slow them down.

In the end, you have to play your Wolves like Sisters of Battle in order to stop a MC spam Nid list.

SJ

DarkLink
10-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Until we get to see what the new 'dex is like, there really isn't much advice we can give. Hit genestealers with heavy flamers, and plasma Monstrous creatures.

Oh, yeah, ally in some Grey Knight Terminators. They eat Carnifexes alive. Just stick them in a Land Raider to make sure they get there.

Kaney
10-27-2009, 07:46 PM
First of all dont take HB long fangs, missile launchers will trash there elite fexes and possibly some of the heavy fexes that havent been upped. They are also extremely effective anti infantry with their frags.

Tyranids cant deal with mech. If his carnies are shooty, zoom up with ur GH squad, next turn get out fire ur 2 meltas and bolts, then charge with ur PF and MoTW. His carnies 2 attacks a turn wont do too much ;-). The danger here comes from the genestealers. Shoot them with ur long fangs and wat ever else u have shooty.

If he has CC carnies sit bak and shoot till he gets to u. Tyranids are EXTREMELY fragile with their current codex so u should be able to drop most of his force before he reaches u. Just be carefull of outflanking genestealers.

All this advice really only stands for their current codex, its hard to give advice on something u have no idea about :-)

Lux
10-27-2009, 08:08 PM
Actually, the new SW dex with Jaws of World Wolf will absolutely WRECK a nid MC list. Speaking as a long time nid player, 2-3 JoWW's per turn will take out 2-3 fexes per turn if you're set up to hit multiple fexes with each attempt. Thats not even counting dual plasma or melta's from the grey hunters. Then you use bolter fire and numbers of attacks to take down the stealers.

Lux

Confuddled
10-27-2009, 08:41 PM
Lots and lots of options available to Space Wolves.

Sadly, the one you mention (heavy bolters and Rhino-borne assaults) doesn’t really come into the picture. ;)
Heavy bolters don’t do jack to Carnifexes.
Devourer-armed Tyrants and ‘stealers trump Long Fangs.
You REALLY don’t want to be standing in the open for one turn when he’s got Carnifexes within 18”.

So, what to do?

Some extremes include:
1) Land Raiders. ‘Nids have a heck of a time dealing with standard vehicles. ‘Nids have an even WORSE time dealing with Land Raiders, especially if said Land Raiders just happen to be stuffed to the gills with Grey Hunters and Wolf Guard.

If you really want to get jammy, bring along a Priest or two with Jaws to ride in said Land Raiders…

2) Logan, 2-3 squads of 10 Wolf Guard terminators with 2 cyclones each, comes to about 1100-1400 points.
Give them dedicated Rhino/Razorback transports to keep outflanking Genestealers busy for a turn or two.
Throw in combi-weapons, Wolf Claws, Storm Shields and Thunder Hammers to taste (maybe 1-2 per squad?) and spend the rest of your points on anything that tickles your fancy.
- With a tiny bit of luck (4 shots, 3 hits, wounding on a 2+), each Wolf Guard unit is killing one 3+ save Carnifex a turn. Once those are down, you can comfortably concentrate fire on devourer-armed Tyrants or anything else that wanders within LOS.
- Terminator storm bolters can sort out any ‘stealers than try to come within range, especially if you’ve got a couple of Rhino chassis sitting in the rear to block/slow down the outflanking Stealers.
- They’ve got the numbers and armour to soak up a round or two of shooting from any devourer-armed winged Tyrants that wander within range.
- Same thing applies for any close-combat Carnifexes that manage to bull their way through.

OR you could just take a generic mechanised Space Wolf list and just hammer them in the same old way… :D

Kaney
10-27-2009, 08:50 PM
Yup termies definetly do wreck nids.

IMO though i really dont think u need to tailor ur list with SWs to beat nids, cuz if u do tailor it will just be a walk in the park. For example u could take JotWW, but this is only really good for nids (VERY good at that) or u could take living lightning and saga of the beast slayer, which i find is more effective in an all comers list.

Remember, if his carnies have guns and u have a PF dont be afraid to assault it. It will only have 2 attacks hitting on 4s. Even an average x2 Scything talon fex will only kill about 2 marins a turn.

Also make sure everything can mech up, nids dnt like that ;-)