PDA

View Full Version : Dream List

Atrotos
10-27-2009, 10:17 PM
I've decided to go for it. Pennies are being saved, tournaments with store credit prizes are being entered. The airborne list shall be mine...

I've used the IG codex mostly to represent a Inquisitor's strike force. The Idea is that the Inquisitor's agent (Marbo) has infiltrated the enemy network in search of a specific bad guy. Once the traitor has been identified he gives the signal and the Storm Troopers respond within minutes.

Inquisitor Petran (counts as Straken - the model is appropriately Inquisitorial)
4 x Meltaguns
Carapace
Astropath
Officer of the Fleet
Priest w/ Eviscerator

in Vendetta

Veterans
Grenadiers
Demolitons
3x Meltaguns
Sarge w/ Plasma Pistol and Power Weapon

in Vendetta

*GASP* you can't spend that many points on a Veteran Squad! But this is the Inquisition's version of an anti-terrorist squad so the Troops are bound to be better equipped than most. Power Weapon definitely a good deal around Straken (furious charge)

Veterans
Grenadiers
3x Plasmaguns
Sarge w/ Plasma Pistol and Power Fist

in Vendetta

Thinking about Bastone in this squad (for more orders) but I hate that *******ed hot-shot laspistol! Why would he have one? IT DOESNT MAKE SENSE! So why the Power Fist here? These guys are usually the ones that get to try out their wares against Monsters. Inevitably too many ones will be rolled and a one-wound-left Carnifex/Tyrrant/Deamon Prince assaults them next turn. This sargent has taken out at least 15 Daemon Princes in his career.

Inq. Storm Troopers x 5
2 x Special Weapons

in Valkyrie (Dedicated Transport)
w/ 2x Multiple Rocket Pods

Inq. Storm Troopers x 5
2 x Special Weapons

in Valkyrie (Dedicated Transport)
w/ 2x Multiple Rocket Pods

I can't decide what specials to give these guys - probably plasma in one and melta in the other. I've given them Valks as dedicated transports as per Forgeworld's Imperial Armour Updates, these are accepted in my area. This helps me avoid squadrons of fragile skimmers

Vulture
4 x Multiple Rocket Pods

This was the unit that made me have to have this list. FW's updates made this the best skimmer in the game for its points. At 155 pts it can drop four big blasts and shoot its heavy bolter while going 12". Pure win.

Agent Vespor (counts as Marbo - nicely painted Dark Elf Assassin model)

wish I could squeeze a real assassin in the list but there's no room for an Inquisitor Lord

Inquisitor
w/ Emperor's Tarot, Power Weapon, Plama Pistol

To help get those first-turn assaults

Total 1735 - some points left for tinkering

Atrotos
11-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Wow not a single comment... Is the list too boring or maybe hard to read? Or maybe its perfect and no one can think of any way to improve it...

I've run into some real life people that say the vulture is actually bad for how many points it costs. The idea is that you could get another vendetta for cheaper. What do you guys think?

Ivarr
11-01-2009, 09:03 PM
I think the list sounds really cool. I have already purchased 8 valkyrie kits for my airborne list. I am now converting dwarf quarrelers to be my guardsmen...I am still being intimidated by the building part of my valkyries though. I do not think that it is a boring list at all.

Silver
11-01-2009, 09:03 PM
what would your tactics include?? the vendettas that are carrying the meltas/specials are ment to charge up, unload the squad and kill the tanks, etc. this doesnt utilize the vendetta's long range firepower and relatively slow movement if it wants to shoot all its guns.

you may need some units to reliably take out meq, (not counting the stormies who arent that effective anyway) though a whole tonne of lascannons may do it.
many of your units are focused on taking out tanks, as they have one-shot weapons, even though the vulture is there.

in a horde situation, they'll take out the vulture, and then your left with... not much.

i suggest changing some vendettas to carry hell fury missiles. some ordinance may be nice aswell (more demolitions)

- Silver

Ivarr
11-01-2009, 10:32 PM
Here is what I plan to build as of now:

-Company Command Squad Heavy Flamer; Meltagun (x3) [145]
w/Company Commander Power Fist; Astropath
-Veteran Squad Heavy Flamer; Meltagun (x2) [110]
-Veteran Squad Flamer (x2); Meltagun (x1) [90]
-Veteran Squad Meltagun (x3) [100]
-Veteran Squad Meltagun (x3) [100]
-Platoon Command Squad Heavy Flamer; Flamer (x3); Power Weapon [180]
-Infantry Squad Flamer
-Infantry Squad Flamer
-Vendetta Heavy Bolter Sponsons [140]
-Valkyrie Heavy Bolter Sponsons; Lascannon [125]
-Basilisk Hunter Killer Missile [135]
-Griffon [75]
Total Cost: 2000

I own it all except for a couple of meltas...but there is still a good bit of conversion and painting to be done.

Don.

Atrotos
11-01-2009, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the replies guys

@ Ivar: Dude, eight Valkyries?! What kind of list could need so many? You've got me really curious to know what you would put in them. I thought I had a lot but you're way ahead of me.

@Silver: The tactics are to either use scout moves for fist turn assaults or reserve everything and come in from the sides. That's partially why my Vets are so well-kitted out. They're only gonna get one chance to get the job done and if they don't - well the heretics aren't gonna go for that whole "Oh, ****! Was that your Land Raider? We were just messing around man, there's no need to take it personally let's put those chainaxes away shall we?"

As for hordes I forgot to include the Multi Rocket Pods on the Valkyries - there's 8 MRPs in the list not four. Still the list is definitely weaker against horde armies. I'm spoiled because everyone I know plays elite armies. Even tyrranid players bring more monstrous creatures than anything else.

I'm not really a fan of the Inquisitorial Stormies and I'm thinking of what I can include in their stead. I had added them because they're scoring, they take two specials and they can get their own ride but they really don't fit in with the rest of the list because,well... they're lame. I may drop them for a close-combat Inquisitor Lord with crusader henchmen (and a dedicated Valkyrie) and grab something cool like an Eversor to keep Vespor company.

EDIT: Ivarr read my mind and posted his list while I was typing. some questions:

1. Why do you put Heavy Bolters on your Vendettas?

2. You've got 10 squads but only 8 transports - who gets a ride? Why bother having the non-veterans at all?

3. Why in God's name does your basilisk of all things have a hunter killer missile? That's like seeing Kobe buying tennis balls at my local sports outlet.

Ivarr
11-02-2009, 06:02 AM
Sorry bout that, the list I posted was a) the wrong one...and b)did not format right when I pasted it. It is fixed now.

To answer your questions...everyone gets a ride, the standard platoon is to give a couple of extra squads that score and are really cheap...to be brought on last and grab objectives, the vendettas have heavy bolters because they look really good on the model, and as for the hunter killer...I really never thought of it like that...you make a very valid point.

I have really wanted a mounted guard list since 2nd edition when I thought the stormtroopers would have been awesome if they were all mounted, but could never quite talk myself into that many Chimeras. When the Valkyrie model was announced, I started saving and pre-ordered 6. This is guard, the way I have always wanted to play.

As for your list...I love the idea of the Inquisitor and Marbo...sneaky little Inquisitorial agent. After reading the article the other day about using Inquisitor/Assassin, I am really considering trying to work a Vindicare into my list...just not sure if it even goes with the army.

Atrotos
11-03-2009, 12:47 AM
What solutions do you have for transporting all those valkyrie models? I have two of the small GW carrying cases and I've made sure not to glue the wings on the valk that I have but I can't imagine how I'll ever carry six of them AND all the guys that are meant to ride in them.