PDA

View Full Version : What? GW issues a C&D order??? NO WAY!!!

Blood Angel
02-21-2013, 12:17 AM
Looks like trouble was brewing at a gaming tavern in my town:

http://www.facebook.com/events/465955696787340/?suggestsessionid=2ddcd1b15d298fb3b380cd021423d279

Not sure the details but this was on their FB Page.

Due to recent developments, our Warhammer 40,000 inspired theme night has been canceled, to be replaced with “40 Karat Battle Hammer” – a theme night dedicated to the satire of vast tyrannical empires in a distant science fiction future, and the equally tyrannical companies that produce fiction about them.

Forget the power of dictionaries and encyclopedias, for so much has been forgotten, never to be re-learned. Forget the ideas of progress and understanding, for in the bleak darkness of the far future there is only cease and desist orders. There is no fandom amongst the stars, only an eternity of lawsuits and briefs, and the laughter of thirsting lawyers.

***As a point to clarify any confusion that might arise we offer this simple guide:

Any and all references to the Emperor of Mankind, The Imperium, Navigators are clear and evident references to the Dune universe.

Any and all references to the fanatics of the Red Redemption are clear and evident references to the Laser Burn universe.

Any and all references to the 8 Pointed Star of Chaos and/or the powers of Chaos are clear and evident references to Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion universe.

Any and all references to Imperial Guard are clear and evident references to Dune, Star Wars, the Praetorian Guard of Rome,

Any and all references to Orc/Ork are clear and evident uses of the Giodelic Gaelic word meaning “young pig”

Any and all references to Eldar is a clear and evident reference to Old West Norse onomastic meaning “Warrior of Fire”

Any and all references to Space Marines are clear and evident references to Bob Olsen's short story “Captain Brink of the Space Marines” (Amazing Stories, Vol 7, November 8, 1932)

Any and all references to Power Armor are clear and evident references to Robert A. Heinlein's Starship Troopers universe.

Any and all references to the Aquila, Imperial Eagle, Two-Headed eagle, and Eagle Displayed are Heraldic terms of blazonry and are clear and evident references to the Byzantine Empire.

Any and all references to Biomorphs are clear and evident references to Nikolay Perumov's “Череп на Рукаве”

Any and all references to Xenomorphs are clear and evident references to the Alien universe

Any and all references to Inquisition and/or Inquisitors are references to the “Inquisitio Haereticae Pravitatis” of the Roman Catholic Church.

I wonder when someone is going to turn the tables and sue GW for their blatant rip off of EVERYBODY ELSE'S Intellectual Property?

Wildcard
02-21-2013, 12:27 AM
I so seriously hope that someone would just make the GW stop. It has grown into ridiculous proportions..

I've been a GW fanboy for a long time, but the these lawsuit developements are just so idiotic..

It just makes me speechless how stupid this has become..

Learn2Eel
02-21-2013, 01:09 AM
What a farce.

I would like to clarify though that I don't know the full story. Still, if it has gotten to this, well....

Dalleron
02-21-2013, 01:41 AM
Given such little detail, I'm certain we could figure out why and what said Tavern was doing.

And yes, I too would like someone to come along and take GW to court. They don't even need to sue for money, just to make a point that GW has used many well known, public and what I imagine are uncopyrightable ideas to create their own IP.

ChacoStylez
02-21-2013, 01:48 AM
When will crazyness end? I wonder if GW even has a P.R. department...probably not.

Falconjab
02-21-2013, 01:56 AM
Haha, I've honestly never loved and hated a company this much before. Love their models and (sometimes) their game, but the company itself just does so many ridiculous things.

Wolfshade
02-21-2013, 04:24 AM
This is not "new"

NewLine Cinema vs. The Hobbit (pub)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2114365/Hobbit-pub-Southampton-sued-Hollywood-giant-Middle-earth-Enterprises-name.html

Also as has been pointed out countless times frequently, GW are entitled to defend their rights on specific proper nouns that they have registered. If they were general then a) objections could over turn them and b) they wouldn't be granted in the first place.

Also, while works might be dervived from other sources they can still be registered as a unique creation. Consider the Redwings logo, it is a car wheel and a wing that is red, those devices are not uniquely created by the redwings but put together they can make something that is unique.

GW are forced to defend their rights or they are seen as granted an implied licence which dilutes the company's revenue stream.

Also instead of "40 Karat Battle Hammer" try WarMace http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?24231-Abbey-Home-Studios-Warmace-400C

alshrive
02-21-2013, 04:53 AM
When will crazyness end? I wonder if GW even has a P.R. department...probably not.

They do and some of the folks there are great. At the end of the day you have to remember that they are just being told what to do as well and, as is the way with GW, if they disagreed they would just be given the boot and in this day and age I would rather have a job, even if it caused Nerd-Rage amongst the community, than not have a job at all.

Learn2Eel
02-21-2013, 04:57 AM
This is not "new"

NewLine Cinema vs. The Hobbit (pub)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2114365/Hobbit-pub-Southampton-sued-Hollywood-giant-Middle-earth-Enterprises-name.html

Also as has been pointed out countless times frequently, GW are entitled to defend their rights on specific proper nouns that they have registered. If they were general then a) objections could over turn them and b) they wouldn't be granted in the first place.

Also, while works might be dervived from other sources they can still be registered as a unique creation. Consider the Redwings logo, it is a car wheel and a wing that is red, those devices are not uniquely created by the redwings but put together they can make something that is unique.

GW are forced to defend their rights or they are seen as granted an implied licence which dilutes the company's revenue stream.

Also instead of "40 Karat Battle Hammer" try WarMace http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?24231-Abbey-Home-Studios-Warmace-400C

Yep, GW indeed have to defend their rights. The cease and desist letter probably wouldn't have led to anything anyway, more-so just a quick, easy resolution.

The Girl
02-21-2013, 10:19 AM
Posts talking about GW business matters and corporate behavior/policy need to go here - in the Wargames Corporate Discussion board - not the 40K General board, which is for discussion about gaming. Thanks.

Denzark
02-21-2013, 11:08 AM
Did I not see this thread get locked? Hmmm....

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
02-21-2013, 11:12 AM
Counter-counter. *shrug*

Denzark
02-21-2013, 11:41 AM
First time I've ever seen a mod moderated by another mod. What a modal modern moderated world of modernity we live in - every day truly is a school day.

Wolfshade
02-22-2013, 02:53 AM
First time I've ever seen a mod moderated by another mod. What a modal modern moderated world of modernity we live in - every day truly is a school day.

Well we did see anonomys's twitter feed being hacked, the end of the world is nigh!

Denzark
02-22-2013, 05:24 AM
I don't do twitter old horse...

Wolfshade
02-22-2013, 05:32 AM
I don't do twitter old horse...

Neither do I, the PM and I agree on this issue...

DrLove42
02-22-2013, 05:39 AM
As a serious on topic point.....does anyone actually believe this as a story?

Does anyone seriously believe that GW lawyers trawl the internet and shut down pub events attended by less than 20 people in the backwaters of the US, with official C&D letters?

Or is it more likely that a gaming club "pretended" it was so to get publicity and turn opinion against GW?

You'll note the event only 80 or so people are on the thing, and lots of those are from other countries "joining" to show "support" after it went public.

Wolfshade
02-22-2013, 05:43 AM
I have to say I do seem cynical about this, but then New Line did hit the hobbit pub..

Certainly seeing all the increased attention (which probably led to sales) of the spot the space marine book, jump on the band wagon and see if you can drum up customer as they show solidarity with the under dog!

DrLove42
02-22-2013, 06:02 AM
See I live in Southampton, and love the Hobbit pub.

Its not a small place. Its a great place, with over 10,000 fans on facebook that regularly runs national shows, gigs and festivals and sponsors half the Uni teams.

Whereas this is as far as i can tell a one off event in a backwater place....that i have no idea what it actually is. Is it a dress up day? Or a competition? Cos GW don't stop them....