PDA

View Full Version : Robotech Wargame kickstarter announced.

Truculent Sheep
02-22-2013, 05:50 AM
Of some interest, no doubt, to some:

http://www.palladiumbooks.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=649%3Apalladium-booksr-weekly-update-february-21-2013&catid=52%3Aweekly-updates&Itemid=183

In essence, Palladium is bringing out a miniatures wargame based on the Robotech licence that helped build the company's fortunes back in the 80s (alongside a certain game involving tortoises and ninjutsu).

While company owner Kevin Siembieda can't, somehow, force himself to utter the dreaded 'wargames' word, given that he's been roleplaying since the 1970s, this is what the game will be. (Or, officially, a 'strategy battle game'.) Quite why they chose 6mm scale is another matter, although that will no doubt bring back happy memories for Epic players, and there may be plans for 28mm scale miniatures and rules too.

It is, of course, also yet another kickstarter. Still, could be a laugh.

Gotthammer
02-22-2013, 10:13 AM
6mm makes sense, especially if they scale everything correctly:

http://www.macross2.net/m3/sizecharts/sizechart-tia11.gif

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/uploads/post-4-1065680900.jpg

That scale would still equate to 35mm tall Zentraedi, 44mm tall veritechs, and 50mm power armour. The Destroid Monster would be 77mm tall 150mm long - rather large for a wargame!

Of course what time frame of Robotech they set it in will be the real important part for me. If it is the classic SDF Macross / SDC Southern Cross / GC Mospeda phase it'll be great, but it will of course depend on licencing and so on (what famously tripped up FASA back in the day and continues to plague their successors). That said if it's the new time frame Harmony Gold are pushing I'll be far less interested.

Truculent Sheep
02-22-2013, 10:48 AM
It looks like it will cover all eras of the franchise. Or, as the link says above, "all your favorite mecha".

Gotthammer
02-22-2013, 11:22 AM
Or more likely all the Macross stuff, the Mospeda jets and nothing from New Generation :p

energongoodie
02-22-2013, 12:43 PM
I'm interested.
I wanna paint one of those bad boys up like Jetfire!

Truculent Sheep
02-22-2013, 01:25 PM
Or more likely all the Macross stuff, the Mospeda jets and nothing from New Generation :p

Palladium has released material for all the shows, so it's likely they'll bring out material to represent all the mecha (plus Invid gribblies) on the tabletop. Also, the company is owned by an old school anime fan* (back in the days when fan-subbed copies of Vampire Hunter D were at the cutting edge), so it will - of cours - be a labour of love.

* Palladium even brought out unabridged episodes of Robotech on VHS back in the 80s.

Chronowraith
02-22-2013, 01:35 PM
I'll definitely keep an eye on this... Always a big fan of Robotech despite my disagreements with Palladium...

Gotthammer
02-22-2013, 02:03 PM
I know who Kevin Siembieda is, and given his reputation for being difficult to work with and a poor business manager, coupled with Palladium's history of being unreliable on deadlines (not to mention a history of C&D orders that would make GW's lawyers go "ooh, that's a bit much" and ask to leave the room) I hope he's getting someone else to run that side of things and he can stick to the creative bits he does well.
I'm mostly sceptical because whenever people say "we're releasing a line of products for Robotech" it has almost always meant "we're releasing a line of english Macross products" - even Harmony Gold is guilty of this at times.

Also how do you have unabridged episodes of Robotech? If it's restoring the cut content from Macross that's not particularly earth shattering as there are probably half a dozen scenes cut for violence/sexual content (some of which did get restored to VHS copies), and restoring the stuff cut from Southern Cross would mean the series would make no sense and Mospeda had almost nothing cut from it.

Zeshin
02-22-2013, 02:29 PM
I really don't care if Kevin S. screws the pooch on this and bankrupts his company in the long run, so long as I get some high quality unseen er, I mean destroids to paint up and use.

Truculent Sheep
02-22-2013, 04:09 PM
Also how do you have unabridged episodes of Robotech? If it's restoring the cut content from Macross that's not particularly earth shattering as there are probably half a dozen scenes cut for violence/sexual content (some of which did get restored to VHS copies), and restoring the stuff cut from Southern Cross would mean the series would make no sense and Mospeda had almost nothing cut from it.

No need to be pedantic. The tapes contained the original cuts of the Robotech episodes (which people enjoy in their own right), without editing for violence or commercial breaks or the censored antics of that naughty Yellow Dancer.